Active Directory in ComputerCraft

4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave-ee Jones

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVan Diemen's Land

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:30 AM

Heyo, it's this guy again (he who hasn't been here for a while..).

So I'm assuming at least some of you here know what Active Directory (AD DS) is?
So I'm assuming at least some of you here know how easy it would be to put this in ComputerCraft?

Considering it is all software-based one does not need to hard-code it into ComputerCraft, just create an OS that can allow users to join domains, a server that hosts lots of users (SMB server too, maybe?) and a MC server that has lots of computers around the place that allow users to roam around and access their data from any PC they find.

You can imagine what it would be like if there was like 100 people on one server, managing their currency and files on a CC server on a MC server (server-ception..eughhh). Be pretty good, as the PCs would be like ATMs around a big city or something - except not only an ATM but a public PC.

Domains shouldn't be too hard to setup. There are a few ways you could do it - one being having a domain for each different modem channel or just being connected to a 'name', having multiple 'names' in a channel, or just using the hostname deal. So, effectively, they are already implemented, just need to be configured a bit.

Programming an OS to join or leave domains is another thing, but again, not too hard.

Programming a server to host multiple users and their data, not too hard as it has been done but not in this format (I have not yet seen one anyway..doesn't mean there isn't one). Having a public SMB server that multiple people can access is also very possible.

The public PCs could even access an internet database instead of a server in the game (or the server refers to the internet database), which could make it more secure.

Just a quick idea I had I thought I would share. I'm usually pretty inactive nowadays (busy with work, playing around with real networking toys - though CC is fun to program and go back to occasionally - gets boring once you finish a fun project tho..), but yeah, maybe someone can make this for their server. :)

#2 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:03 AM

A lot of people have had similar ideas -- "Internet" or "Banking" apps come close. The problem has always been security -- encryption is horribly slow in a multi-VM environment. You might think that would slow decryption down, but it's fairly easy to export the data to a real PC... And an insecure authentication system is just asking for trouble.

#3 Dave-ee Jones

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:21 AM

I don't think security is a huge issue if your using this for Minecraft-based purposes. It doesn't have to be for something stupidly overdone for a huge server, it's just for fun and learning.

Sometimes people really overdo it when they say "Ah-ah-ah, there's a security flaw here!". It's a game. It's like your house being destroyed by someone with a flint and steel. It's like being shot by 3 arrows or stabbed by a sword. It's just a game, which means its there for entertainment and in some cases learning, like this.

I love learning how to do stuff like this and programming large-scale stuff that are based on theories - why does it have to be compared to real-life? Makes no sense whatsoever to put off an idea in a virtual environment that's nothing like the real world in the first place.

I mean, you try chopping down a tree by slapping it.

Quoting my own signature here - "a creative man is devoted by the desire to achieve, NOT by the desire to beat others."

Edited by Dave-ee Jones, 07 July 2017 - 02:23 AM.

#4 Twijn

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:03 AM

Sounds like a decent idea but yes; all programs have that security flaw. As you said, it's just a game - but there still could be sensitive data such as passwords that could be intercepted and be shared by someone in different 'real-life' locations (such as emails, google accounts, the list goes on forever). Putting this onto a server instead might be a little bit more secure, given a secure connection and secure hash/encryption methods within the server, though all it takes is someone to overwrite the http.post method and take that information.

I still might try this though, just for fun. :)

#5 Dave-ee Jones

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:52 AM

View PostTwijn, on 07 July 2017 - 03:03 AM, said:

Sounds like a decent idea but yes; all programs have that security flaw. As you said, it's just a game - but there still could be sensitive data such as passwords that could be intercepted and be shared by someone in different 'real-life' locations (such as emails, google accounts, the list goes on forever). Putting this onto a server instead might be a little bit more secure, given a secure connection and secure hash/encryption methods within the server, though all it takes is someone to overwrite the http.post method and take that information.

I still might try this though, just for fun. :)

Yeah well, as I said, doesn't have to be passwords or whatever. Just a fun idea :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users