Team Programming Competition [sign up before the 7th!]

25 replies to this topic

Poll: Competition Dates

What month works best for the competition?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

How long should the competition run

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:09 AM

I've been involved with CC for a long time, and the one thing I think we lack is cooperation. Sure, we have a few people who publish projects together, and there's definitely people who build on others' work, but not a lot of people write a program or project together.
Cooperation is a good thing, and I'd like to hold a competition of sorts for anyone willing to participate. It'll be similar to CCJam, but you'll be required to work with at least one other person. I won't limit the number of people who can be on a team, but expect the number to go no higher than 3 or 4.
If you'd like to participate or judge, or just want to critique my idea, post a comment below.
I expect the judging to be based on 3 categories:
1. Overall project structure / organization (the project doesn't have to use multiple files, but some sort of organization and plenty of comments is expected)
2. Division of labor (ei one person doesn't do 99% of the project*)
3. Program / Project design (this would be similar to the overall score from CCJam)
*This doesn't mean you can't have someone do just the pixel art or something like that. That would count as a significant contribution.
Competition runs until the 22nd. If no more participants are found by the 7th, competition will be cancelled!!!

Edited by KingofGamesYami, 04 October 2017 - 02:16 PM.

#2 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:21 AM

Does it have to be new projects like CCJam or could I use what we/I have of Hive as a starting point?

#3 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

I'd say you'd have to make a new project; it's just too difficult to judge a project which was already started like that. Don't get me wrong, I think Hive is a great project, but it's just too difficult to compare to projects which had no such start.

#4 EveryOS

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • LocationOver there ->

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:59 PM

I work with Sewbacca, but we've only successfully made one OS. It's not up anymore, either. Plus, I'm not sure that it would still work. The only copy I have left may/may not be out of date, and I deleted some pastebin files.

If Sewbacca sees this post decides he wants to, I'll enter this, otherwise, I'll think about it.

But Sewbacca would be the only person I'm willing to work with.

Edited by EveryOS, 08 September 2017 - 04:00 PM.

#5 Saldor010

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

I don't think this would work, based on the fact that we're such a small community and we're all split up in different time zones. Half of the team would end up being asleep while the other half is awake and vice versa. That, and the summer holiday is over for most people, so the deadline for the projects would have to be set farther out than CCJam in order to accommodate people's school schedules. There is also the fact that there probably aren't very many people in the community that want to work together on a team project, but that's more of an assumption on my part.

Don't get me wrong, I think this would be a great idea if we could get it to work, I just don't know whether it's feasible or not. Best of luck to you, hopefully it'll all work out! :)

#6 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:15 AM

I don't think the time zone problem should be very prohibitive, you don't actually have to chat together live in order to compete. You could quite easily hash out a plan in PMs over the course of a few days, then implement it. I was thinking about 1 month for this sort of competition would be a good length of time; this is a bit harder than CCJam.

I was not able to participate in CCJam and a number of other people were not either, I feel like the timing of it wasn't good this year, but the length of time it takes makes it very hard to come up with a program without participating for the majority of the time (at least 3 or 4 days). A month would give people a lot more time to organize themselves and come up with a better project as a result.

#7 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:26 PM

The are techniques for the time zone thing: https://youtu.be/5mLYoo-oZ5o?t=2m24s
And tools: https://trello.com/

#8 Dave-ee Jones

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVan Diemen's Land

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:22 AM

I'm in full support of this idea, though I think finding partners and collaborating on a project can lead to...interesting events. Good luck to everyone participating!

#9 Jummit

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationJulfander Squad Studio

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:32 AM

Just one question: How do you communicate and organize things? On Github?

View PostLupus590, on 09 September 2017 - 10:26 PM, said:

-snip-
Oh, is this the answer?

#10 Lignum

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:20 AM

View PostJummit, on 11 September 2017 - 07:32 AM, said:

Just one question: How do you communicate and organize things? On Github?

View PostLupus590, on 09 September 2017 - 10:26 PM, said:

-snip-
Oh, is this the answer?

Sure, you could use Trello, but I personally find GitHub's issues & milestones to be flexible enough for project management. Though, ultimately, it's up to your personal preference.

#11 Dave-ee Jones

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVan Diemen's Land

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:05 AM

View PostLignum, on 11 September 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

Sure, you could use Trello, but I personally find GitHub's issues & milestones to be flexible enough for project management. Though, ultimately, it's up to your personal preference.

Definitely. Trello seems okay but Github is probably more powerful and you can have user feedback go straight to your project (especially for end-of-comp rating and feedback).

#12 Jummit

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:26 AM

View PostDave-ee Jones, on 12 September 2017 - 01:05 AM, said:

View PostLignum, on 11 September 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

Definitely. Trello seems okay but Github is probably more powerful and you can have user feedback go straight to your project (especially for end-of-comp rating and feedback).
I like Github more too.

#13 Xella

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOn Earth

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

1 When does the competition end?
2 Does any specific theme apply?

#14 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:00 PM

1. It hasn't started yet, and does't yet have a set start/end. Tentatively thinking of starting October 1st and ending October 22nd.

2. No, I feel this would needlessly restrict the competition. The only rule is you have to involve someone else in the project.

#15 Xella

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOn Earth

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

Thanks for the info!
I'll compete together with Jummit.

#16 Jummit

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:32 PM

View PostXelostar, on 14 September 2017 - 07:47 AM, said:

Thanks for the info!
I'll compete together with Jummit.
Yes, thats true.
Are we the only ones?

#17 KingofGamesYami

• Members
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:20 PM

I am not aware of any other entries. If you'd like to participate, please have someone comment in this thread. If there are no more competitors by the end of this week I will cancel the competition due to lack of participation.

#18 Jummit

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:04 AM

Thats sad. But thank you for saying out loud (more team projects!) what i always wanted to say.
How many teams should compete?

#19 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:29 AM

It's the begining of school/university for alot of people, you may want to postpone to either the summer or winter holidays.

#20 Saldor010

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

View PostLupus590, on 04 October 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

It's the begining of school/university for alot of people, you may want to postpone to either the summer or winter holidays.

This. I might participate if it was held over the winter holidays.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users