Solar OS(Previously Cactus OS) -Made by Cactus Inc.

computer

27 replies to this topic

#1 Cdez

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAt my Computer.

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:13 PM

Welcome to Solar OS. This Operating System is open source. If you would like to collaborate, you can ask to have a pull request. The current version as of this post is V.1.2.1 Arizona. This OS is free to use, and also free of malicious scripts. If you want to check, go right ahead. I will not stop you. Your privacy is my concern. This OS I want to people to use and get programs and features made. If you want to submit a program, then send it to me via IMing on computercraft and I'll debug it and check it for malicious scripting, and get it into the next version of Solar OS. This project is available on GitHub for free. If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment and stuff. This project has been renewed after 6 Months of inactivity. I have been wanting to get back into this project since I saw that it had 3000 VIEWS!!! Amazing. I never would have thought that it would be this viewed. I thought it would be a little side project. Because of your interest in Solar OS, I am getting back into this project, and merging the changed you all have submitted, and creating a changelog for all who would like to see the project in action, and updating. I hope that you all keep supporting this project, and help this OS grow.
GitHub link:
https://github.com/c...r-ComputerCraft
GitHub Sites link:
https://cdez-cactus-...-ComputerCraft/
-Cdez, CEO of Cactus Inc., creator, and designer of Solar(Cactus) OS.
Credits to the people who have Committed to the GitHub page:
HolyStephano
LDDestroier
Windows10User
As more people commit, you will get added here.

Edited by Cdez, 22 August 2018 - 10:23 PM.

#2 Cdez

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:24 AM

This post is now the changelog! I will post here the change log of every new version, to keep everyone up-to-date.
Version 1.3.9-
Coming Soon...

Edited by Cdez, 26 August 2018 - 12:31 AM.

#3 CLNinja

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:25 AM

You also need to include a way to install the OS while in a server. No one has access to the filesystem of the server.

#4 Smallfrypound

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in America

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:47 PM

Suggestions:

* Add the ability to change the colors of the operating system.
* Add something Cactus related (I mean that is the name of the os)
* Users

#5 CLNinja

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:29 PM

I forked the github repo and am slowly going to be making pull requests. You use shell.run for all of your calls which is very bad practice. You should be doing fs.delete(file) instead of shell.run("delete",file).

You also do this in your install file, which is horrible.

#6 Cdez

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:50 AM

Thank you all for your input. I would like to thank CLNinja for his corrections. You can merge your corrections.

Edited by Cdez, 18 December 2017 - 04:50 PM.

#7 EveryOS

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • LocationOver there ->

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

You should post an installer.
If you don't feel like it, then you can use apemanzilla's gitget
pastebin run W5ZkVYSi cdez-cactus-os Cactus-OS-for-ComputerCraft
lua
fs.move('Version 1.2.1', 'disk')
exit()
/disk/install

Edited by EveryOS, 02 December 2017 - 04:16 PM.

#8 CLNinja

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:58 PM

Cdez, I recommend either giving me access to merge pull requests or for you to do it frequently. A few changes have been made.

#9 CLNinja

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 02:49 AM

I have officially made 8 commits with changes to 5 files in your operating system, all of which are waiting to be merged

Main changes are switching over from shell.run calls for EVERYTHING (no, including running programs, moving/deleting/copying files) to os/fs calls (which is how it should be)

#10 Saldor010

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:28 AM

View PostCLNinja, on 02 December 2017 - 10:58 PM, said:

Cdez, I recommend either giving me access to merge pull requests or for you to do it frequently. A few changes have been made.

View PostCLNinja, on 03 December 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

I have officially made 8 commits with changes to 5 files in your operating system, all of which are waiting to be merged

Main changes are switching over from shell.run calls for EVERYTHING (no, including running programs, moving/deleting/copying files) to os/fs calls (which is how it should be)

You may want to keep in mind that finals (at least for college and uni) are quickly approaching, so he might just not have the time to look over the commits yet.

#11 CLNinja

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:41 AM

View PostSaldor010, on 03 December 2017 - 03:28 AM, said:

View PostCLNinja, on 02 December 2017 - 10:58 PM, said:

View PostCLNinja, on 03 December 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

You may want to keep in mind that finals (at least for college and uni) are quickly approaching, so he might just not have the time to look over the commits yet.

Considering how simple they are, it really wouldn't take too much time. Most of it was just converting his calls to be proper.

#12 Cdez

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:48 PM

CLNinja, you have been given access. Sorry I haven't been able to respond or merge in quite a while, been dealing with life like everyone else.

Remember, everyone is allowed to collaborate. If you want access, just post to this and I will get back to you.

#13 Cdez

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:50 PM

Welcome to 2018 everyone!!!! I hope you all had a great year! Please contribute to the Cactus OS project. I am literally pretty new to Lua Scripting, so I have no idea on how to create a user and login system. If anyone would know how to fix the mail system, please do. I think that this project will get better the more we fix and add to it. Have a happy 2018 everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

#14 Smallfrypound

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in America

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

View PostCdez, on 10 January 2018 - 10:50 PM, said:

Welcome to 2018 everyone!!!! I hope you all had a great year! Please contribute to the Cactus OS project. I am literally pretty new to Lua Scripting, so I have no idea on how to create a user and login system. If anyone would know how to fix the mail system, please do. I think that this project will get better the more we fix and add to it. Have a happy 2018 everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand that you’re new to Lua, but you can’t have people do everything for you. Saying that people can contribute is different than telling them to contribute if they know how to do what you’ve requested. If we want to contribute, we will, but first you have to create a project that people want to contribute to.

If you’d like to learn more Lua, add more features to your own project, and increase the likelihood of people contributing, try looking at other peoples programs and checking out how they work.

Edited by Smallfrypound, 11 January 2018 - 07:30 PM.

#15 Cdez

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:41 AM

This project has been inactive for awhile, and I am revisiting it after taking a step back for a while and coming back to finding it that it has 1000+ views. Ridiculous. I never would have thought it would be like this... Now, I should be posting about every month or so... but no promises... Thank you.

#16 Windows10User

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationC:\Minecraft\saves\stuff\computer

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:08 AM

I would like to contribute, my GitHub username is Windows10User.

#17 EveryOS

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • LocationOver there ->

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:22 PM

View PostCdez, on 22 August 2018 - 04:41 AM, said:

It has 1000+ views.
Yeah, you'd be better off with an analytics engine, or even just looking at the amount of replies...

Edited by EveryOS, 22 August 2018 - 12:22 PM.

#18 Cdez

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:19 PM

View PostWindows10User, on 22 August 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

I would like to contribute, my GitHub username is Windows10User.

View PostEveryOS, on 22 August 2018 - 12:22 PM, said:

View PostCdez, on 22 August 2018 - 04:41 AM, said:

It has 1000+ views.
Yeah, you'd be better off with an analytics engine, or even just looking at the amount of replies...

Windows10User and LDDestroier, you have been sent a request to join my repo.
EveryOS, yes I know, I probably should size it up to replies rather than views.

#19 Windows10User

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationC:\Minecraft\saves\stuff\computer

Posted 23 August 2018 - 12:58 PM

IDK how to join...

P. S. If you want 1.3.1 to be a success, you must make it from scratch, not from some tutorial...

#20 Cdez

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 02:00 PM

View PostWindows10User, on 23 August 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

IDK how to join...

P. S. If you want 1.3.1 to be a success, you must make it from scratch, not from some tutorial...

In fact, that is actually what I am doing. I have took my base code in what I have started with, and improving it, right now, I am adding commands to the command prompt, and then I need to get a login system (preferably soon), into Solar OS. If anyone has ideas on a good login system, please suggest. I’d be happy to integrate one. Until then, I’m at work trying to make this happen. Thank you everyone!!!

P.S. You can join by going onto github, and you should be able to login, and look at your notifications. You should have a join request there...

Edited by Cdez, 23 August 2018 - 02:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users