We need to stop competing.

34 replies to this topic

#21 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:28 AM

View PostTerra1, on 10 February 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

Botania is incredibly boring. I've never seen Psi used for anything but messing with people, and i've never even seen Tinker's Construct used for anything whatsoever.
And this is the key reason "one universal server" will never work. People have different opinions on what makes a good mod list, you just have to find a server closest to your play style. Personally, some of the most fun I've had in Minecraft was doing a Botania skyblock pack - everyone has mods they like, and mods they dislike.

#22 hugeblank

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationA grocery store near you!

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:16 PM

I agree with the title of this post, but that's about it. I would really appreciate it if everyone reached out and came to some sort of conclusion as to what we should do.

Here was my thought process and conclusion:

CC players mainly go on to CC servers to seek help, make, and demonstrate programs. Along with this though there's other groups of players that like it because it interfaces well with other mods, so they'll add mods to the game. I could go on and on with this, but I my main point is people have varying preferences when it comes to CC, so many that it would be impossible to manage a server that satisfies everyone's desires. So if we can't make a server that meets all expectations, what can we do? Enter Single Player: Tweaked (sounds familiar ;)). The idea here is to give everyone what they want while also providing them with a multiplayer experience. My theory is it would be as simple as placing a command computer down, running BagelBot, and adding a plugin.

Here's a list of what the plugin would do:

1) link all players chat together. This can easily be done with the chatbox, and would provide the same effect as being on a multiplayer server. The advantages of this are huge too, you don't have to deal with the latency of servers, and everything is being run on a local machine, the only mod requirements are CC and Computronics, or, Plethora. In addition this covers players that seek help, it would be as simple as typing it into chat, and then any player that's in game can respond.
2) allow users to share programs. The idea here is that a user would register a computer with this plugin, and then the capabilities described could take place. In this scenario, I will call the command !share. "!share send" would take two parameters, the name of the user that the program should be sent to, and the name of the program on the registered machine. The user the program is being sent to would get a notification, and have the choice to do "!share accept" or "!share reject". If the share is accepted, then the senders program is uploaded, and then downloaded by the receiver.

Additional things might want to be covered by this program and I am more than up for suggestions. Also, this may or may not be taken well, I would really like to see opinions.

Edited by hugeblank, 10 February 2018 - 07:21 PM.

#23 CLNinja

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:54 PM

View Posthugeblank, on 10 February 2018 - 07:16 PM, said:

I agree with the title of this post, but that's about it. I would really appreciate it if everyone reached out and came to some sort of conclusion as to what we should do.

Here was my thought process and conclusion:

CC players mainly go on to CC servers to seek help, make, and demonstrate programs. Along with this though there's other groups of players that like it because it interfaces well with other mods, so they'll add mods to the game. I could go on and on with this, but I my main point is people have varying preferences when it comes to CC, so many that it would be impossible to manage a server that satisfies everyone's desires. So if we can't make a server that meets all expectations, what can we do? Enter Single Player: Tweaked (sounds familiar ;)). The idea here is to give everyone what they want while also providing them with a multiplayer experience. My theory is it would be as simple as placing a command computer down, running BagelBot, and adding a plugin.

Here's a list of what the plugin would do:

1) link all players chat together. This can easily be done with the chatbox, and would provide the same effect as being on a multiplayer server. The advantages of this are huge too, you don't have to deal with the latency of servers, and everything is being run on a local machine, the only mod requirements are CC and Computronics, or, Plethora. In addition this covers players that seek help, it would be as simple as typing it into chat, and then any player that's in game can respond.
2) allow users to share programs. The idea here is that a user would register a computer with this plugin, and then the capabilities described could take place. In this scenario, I will call the command !share. "!share send" would take two parameters, the name of the user that the program should be sent to, and the name of the program on the registered machine. The user the program is being sent to would get a notification, and have the choice to do "!share accept" or "!share reject". If the share is accepted, then the senders program is uploaded, and then downloaded by the receiver.

Additional things might want to be covered by this program and I am more than up for suggestions. Also, this may or may not be taken well, I would really like to see opinions.
A CC Based plugin system is a horrible idea. Not only could a rogue staff member be able to just mod it and backdoor, but it would also be slow and not work well in general.

#24 Gorzoid

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:53 PM

The SinglePlayer Tweaked sounds way to simple. If the only reason cc servers were popular was because of chat and sharing programs people would just use irc/discord and pastebin, there's even EiraIRC mod that could be used as a substitute for your command computer program.

View PostCLNinja, on 10 February 2018 - 08:54 PM, said:

A CC Based plugin system is a horrible idea. Not only could a rogue staff member be able to just mod it and backdoor, but it would also be slow and not work well in general.
What part of single player did you not understand.

#25 hugeblank

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:21 PM

View PostGorzoid, on 11 February 2018 - 12:53 PM, said:

The SinglePlayer Tweaked sounds way to simple. If the only reason cc servers were popular was because of chat and sharing programs people would just use irc/discord and pastebin, there's even EiraIRC mod that could be used as a substitute for your command computer program.

CC servers are popular because it unifies all of what I said above, not because it has one or the other. It's the combination of chatting and sharing all in one interface that makes it enjoyable, and convenient. I probably should have made that more clear, apologies :P

Edited by hugeblank, 11 February 2018 - 07:24 PM.

#26 CLNinja

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:58 PM

View Posthugeblank, on 11 February 2018 - 07:21 PM, said:

View PostGorzoid, on 11 February 2018 - 12:53 PM, said:

CC servers are popular because it unifies all of what I said above, not because it has one or the other. It's the combination of chatting and sharing all in one interface that makes it enjoyable, and convenient. I probably should have made that more clear, apologies :P

What about the side of building (together, showing off builds, etc) or actually being in game with friends to show off programs, and actually interacting with the same computer. Or making networks like a lot of people enjoy doing? None of that is really possible in singleplayer.

#27 hugeblank

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:35 PM

View PostCLNinja, on 11 February 2018 - 07:58 PM, said:

What about the side of building (together, showing off builds, etc) or actually being in game with friends to show off programs, and actually interacting with the same computer. Or making networks like a lot of people enjoy doing? None of that is really possible in singleplayer.

Building togther/showing off builds: Would be difficult to do, but in theory you could clone a build, and then provided that the user has the right mods, it could be clouded over, and pasted into the receiving players world. I don't believe this is the most viable option though, it's just what I have off the top of my head.

Being in game to show off programs & interacting with the same computer: Could easily be done with a CC remote desktop program through http. Not saying that I have the skills to make it, but it is something that could be done.

Making networks: I'm not exactly sure I understand what you mean by "networks", could you elaborate?

#28 CLNinja

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:17 PM

View Posthugeblank, on 11 February 2018 - 08:35 PM, said:

Building togther/showing off builds: Would be difficult to do, but in theory you could clone a build, and then provided that the user has the right mods, it could be clouded over, and pasted into the receiving players world. I don't believe this is the most viable option though, it's just what I have off the top of my head.

Being in game to show off programs & interacting with the same computer: Could easily be done with a CC remote desktop program through http. Not saying that I have the skills to make it, but it is something that could be done.

Making networks: I'm not exactly sure I understand what you mean by "networks", could you elaborate?
Programs that use modem properly and communicate with each other, and being able to interact that way. Yes, its possible with a seperate server and http, but it's way too much overhead on a mod that already has too much overhead when running with other mods sometimes.

It's not a viable solution in this day and age to use a command computer for everything. It could definitely be used to incorporate players who can't connect to multiplayer, but it would be no replacement for Sponge/KCauldron/Etc.

#29 Gorzoid

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:13 PM

View Posthugeblank, on 11 February 2018 - 08:35 PM, said:

All these you could do x and you could do y just adds too much complexity, and that means 1. nobody will make it and 2. people won't bother using it, at that point hosting your own server is easier.

#30 hugeblank

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:31 AM

View PostGorzoid, on 11 February 2018 - 10:13 PM, said:

- snip

All these you could do x and you could do y just adds too much complexity, and that means 1. nobody will make it and 2. people won't bother using it, at that point hosting your own server is easier.

I have to agree with you there. There's only so much you can do to appeal to let's say at most 50 people with a severe difference in taste. The best thing that I can think of to appeal to as many people as possible is dumping a survey here and figuring out generally what people like. However finding that out is the least of our collective concerns. Who will host this "Universal server", who will moderate, who can we trust, who can't we trust, How reliable is this server going to be, etc, etc. I'm pretty sure there's a lot more than our preference that will affect how this server is taken by the community as a whole. I can say this from a firsthand standpoint.

Edited by hugeblank, 12 February 2018 - 08:32 AM.

#31 CLNinja

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:02 PM

View PostSaldor010, on 07 February 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

Just a reminder: Switchcraft is still only four days old. Let me know what the player count is in a few weeks.
~1 week update:
Posted Image

Edited by CLNinja, 13 February 2018 - 11:04 PM.

#32 valithor

• Members
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:22 AM

Competition leads to innovation. If there is only one server it is often mediocre at best (unless of course it killed out all the others, or has amazing leadership). Having two mediocre servers often leads to one of them becoming much better than the other, due to them trying to outdo the other one. While it may be nice to have a single permanent CC server, I appreciate the competition which leads to better servers overall.

There has only ever been short periods of time where no CC server existed at all, so, in my opinion, the point of a permanent one really doesn't outweigh the benefit of having servers that are seeking to always improve themselves.

#33 Terra1

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:47 PM

View Postvalithor, on 14 February 2018 - 03:22 AM, said:

Competition leads to innovation. If there is only one server it is often mediocre at best (unless of course it killed out all the others, or has amazing leadership). Having two mediocre servers often leads to one of them becoming much better than the other, due to them trying to outdo the other one. While it may be nice to have a single permanent CC server, I appreciate the competition which leads to better servers overall.

There has only ever been short periods of time where no CC server existed at all, so, in my opinion, the point of a permanent one really doesn't outweigh the benefit of having servers that are seeking to always improve themselves.
"Short periods of time" More like half a year!

#34 CLNinja

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:26 PM

View PostTerra1, on 17 February 2018 - 02:47 PM, said:

View Postvalithor, on 14 February 2018 - 03:22 AM, said:

"Short periods of time" More like half a year!
Over the past year I don't think i ever saw a time where there was not a single point where all the servers actively advertised were down.

#35 3d6

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:28 PM

View PostSaldor010, on 07 February 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

Just a reminder: Switchcraft is still only four days old. Let me know what the player count is in a few weeks.
It's been about 2 months now, and the player count reached 32 today. By being worried that it will end soon, you are missing out on months of collaboration and fun! And the server has secured enough donations to run for many more months. You don't deserve to miss out on that, come join in and see what everyone is staying for!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users