A properly working speaker.

7 replies to this topic

#1 RR_DEADPOOL

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:37 AM

Although I like the speaker we have now, it would be 100 times better if we could use google translate like the other mod, its oviously doable to a certain degree, so I think we should try to do something like:

speakers.speak(<language>, <pitch>, <speed(1-5>, <text>)

#2 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:55 PM

View PostRR_DEADPOOL, on 09 April 2018 - 05:37 AM, said:

Although I like the speaker we have now, it would be 100 times better if we could use google translate like the other mod, its oviously doable to a certain degree, so I think we should try to do something like:

Nah, I think it's fine the way it is. It would add unnecessary complexity and go against the mod's retro theme.

#3 RR_DEADPOOL

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:03 PM

View Postapemanzilla, on 11 April 2018 - 10:55 PM, said:

View PostRR_DEADPOOL, on 09 April 2018 - 05:37 AM, said:

Nah, I think it's fine the way it is. It would add unnecessary complexity and go against the mod's retro theme.

It is not complex, it has been done before; quite easily may I add.

#4 Luca_S

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:01 PM

I think he's talking about the complexity it would add to the mod, not the complexity needed to implement this into the mod.
And I fully agree with him.

But implementing it also comes with a lot of challenges. I only know of one addon for CC which added a speaker that could use TTS and it had massive problems saying english text on non-english systems because it used the built-in TTS system of the OS.
Using google translate is probably not an option because I don't think google offers TTS using their API, it would require a constant connection to the internet and if google offers TTS via google translate it probably would cost money, as their translation API does right now.

#5 Jummit

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationJulfander Squad Studio

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:59 AM

Even the speaker we have has a lot of potential and uses, but I never seen anybody doing something with it. In my opinion we have to take a look at the speaker we have now before we take it to the next level.

#6 EveryOS

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • LocationOver there ->

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:42 AM

The speaker has primitive sounds. I want to build a pure-lua music engine, but I do not know if it would be possible, and I got a million other projects. Also, I don't particularly like the work of getting a speaker out of my inventory.

#7 MarcoPolo0306

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • LocationEverywhere and nowhere.

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:21 PM

Maybe just a simple beeper speaker?

#8 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:32 PM

Dan did implement one into Redirection (which has a "Robot Arcade" based on ComputerCraft, with user scripts such as this music tracker distributed through the Steam Workshop). The plan was to put one into CC2.0, as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users