Bundled Cable Support

8 replies to this topic

#1 GopherAtl

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 05:05 PM

So, Squid. I'm curious here. Note I come to you only because you're the most currently-active person who's been involved in what is, at this point, years of minor irritation.

My very first experience with CC was waaay back when RedPower was king, and one of my favorite synergies was using RP's bundled cable with computercraft. Then RP went away, and bundled cables with it.

Since then, more bundled cables have come and gone, and at no point - at least, no point when I've had the itch and decided to break out MC+CC again - have I been able to get any of them to work with any version of ComputerCraft.

Came in this time hoping EnderIO cables might work, with either the official 1.12 version of CC, or with CC:T, but it seems they do not, at least not as bundled cables; they'll output a redstone from a selected signal color, but that's it. So added Project Red transmission, and tried it's bundled cables - and they don't connect to computers, CC or CC:T. Just ignore them entirely. Went googling, and an issue on github from last year, where you said you'd fixed Project:Red cables, and a follow-on comment seemed to imply that you *had* fixed EnderIO before that before EnderIO apparently removed support on their end.

So, not accusing you or complaining here, I'm just honestly wondering... why is it such an issue? I accept that it is, because as I said, this has been a persistent issue for more years than CC:T has existed, and you're just the latest to wrestle with it. I'm just honestly curious if there's a reason it is, apparently, an insurmountable problem, and thought you might have some insight, having wrestled with it yourself?

:edit: clarifying addendum, it's been possible for a long time to accomplish all the same things with a network of computers, or using one of a variety of redstone peripherals that have existed over the years. My semi-annual attempts to use computers with bundled cable are motivated in significant part by nostalgia - like I said, that was my original methodology for doing a wide variety of computer-controlled devices. I also just like the idea of having one master computer controlling a whole base directly, rather than a network of computers with the added indirection that involves.

Edited by GopherAtl, 05 April 2019 - 06:00 PM.

#2 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 06 April 2019 - 03:50 AM

I think I can answer at least a part of that:

Initial RedPower cable support was added in by Dan. After that came support for MFR RedNet cables, and after that came an API for other mod authors to add support for their own cables instead (with the introduction of CC1.6 for MC1.6.4).

Catch was, no one was really interested in adding support from their end, and so for a few builds after this change it wasn't possible to use bundled cables at all. Support did start to come in after the jump to MC1.7.10, but as far as I'm aware, compatibility hasn't been determined from CC's end since then.

http://www.computerc...#Bundled_Cables

http://www.computerc...direct-support/

I haven't done much experimentation with inter-mod compatibility since MC1.7.10, as it's seemed to me that it's been relatively easy to find working combinations from MC1.8 onwards. Certainly it looks to me like ProjectRed should be working in MC1.12 (so long as you don't make the mistake the linked user did!).

Edited by Bomb Bloke, 06 April 2019 - 03:51 AM.

#3 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:40 AM

View PostGopherAtl, on 05 April 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

Went googling, and an issue on github from last year, where you said you'd fixed Project:Red cables, and a follow-on comment seemed to imply that you *had* fixed EnderIO before that before EnderIO apparently removed support on their end.
Yeah... EnderIO removed support because the latest version of CC is using an ancient set of MCP mappings, which apparently was causing problems. I could probably try adding it back with CC:T support, as that's far more up-to-date. WRT Project:Red, I'm not sure what's going on - I don't think I've tried it since the change was made. Woops.

View PostGopherAtl, on 05 April 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

Why is it such an issue? [...] I'm just honestly curious if there's a reason it is, apparently, an insurmountable problem, and thought you might have some insight, having wrestled with it yourself?
As BombBloke says, generally support has to be added explicitly by the other mods. It was a little better in the 1.7.10-1.8.9 days, as CC was a little more prevalent, but I think a lot of people dropped integration when they moved to 1.10 and CC didn't. If the mod has an API, I generally try to add support on my end - that's what I've done for SimpleLogic Wires. It's just sadly a lot of mods don't really seem to expose any way of adding your own support - it has to be baked into them.

I'll definitely have another look at EnderIO and P:R compat. I don't tend to play heavily modded packs these days, so don't really notice these integration issues - sorry for not picking this up earlier :/.

Edited by SquidDev, 06 April 2019 - 07:42 AM.

#4 GopherAtl

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:08 PM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 06 April 2019 - 03:50 AM, said:

I haven't done much experimentation with inter-mod compatibility since MC1.7.10, as it's seemed to me that it's been relatively easy to find working combinations from MC1.8 onwards. Certainly it looks to me like ProjectRed should be working in MC1.12 (so long as you don't make the mistake the linked user did!).

Yeah, no, with latest versions of CC:T and CC and latest versions of P:R, bundled cables do not connect to computers. I didn't dig around trying various recent versions, but did make sure I was using the latest of all mods for 1.12.2

View PostSquidDev, on 06 April 2019 - 07:40 AM, said:

<snip!>
If the mod has an API, I generally try to add support on my end - that's what I've done for SimpleLogic Wires. It's just sadly a lot of mods don't really seem to expose any way of adding your own support - it has to be baked into them. I'll definitely have another look at EnderIO and P:R compat. I don't tend to play heavily modded packs these days, so don't really notice these integration issues - sorry for not picking this up earlier :/.

Oh, will try simplewires at some point; if there is literally a single form of bundled cables that works, that's enough to keep me happy. Even if it doesn't work, frankly, I'd recommend not going out of your way if I'm the only person who's even noticed, or at least, cared enough to even mention it. Cheap as CC computers are, most people seem perfectly happy to throw down computers at every control point; I just personally enjoy making a single, central computer do it all. Your no-doubt limited time would be better spent on stuff people *do* care about, whether that's stuff more players want or stuff that makes CC less scary for servers.

#5 Dog

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationEarth orbit

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:28 AM

Gopher isn't the only one who noticed the lack of compatibility - I think many, like myself, had given up hope on getting working bundled cables with CC and moved on to other solutions. I seem to recall that when Dan introduced the CC bundled cable API one mod dev was so upset by the change that he stated his mod would never support the CC API (I forget which mod exactly, but it had bundled cables). Since that time, it seems that support has been on-again, off-again. Working CC bundled cables is a great thing!

Squid - thanks for supporting SimpleLogic Wires and sharing the link - and for all your work on CC:T.

And, Gopher, thanks for mentioning this - I had become so used to not having bundled cables with CC that it hadn't even occurred to me to request it.

#6 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:52 AM

Ok so I threw the latest Project Red files into my MC1.12.2 set up and:

Posted Image

I haven't played with this build of MineCraft for a while so I'm still sitting on CC:T 1.80pr1.5, although I doubt there've been any breaking changes since I installed that (even if it is about a year old...).

My best guess is that you folks have simply neglected to install all the relevant packages from PR. In particular, did you nab Project Red - Compat?

Edit:

Decided not to be lazy and updated CC:T + Plethora as well. Still working.

Latest MC 1.12.2 builds at time of writing:

Edited by Bomb Bloke, 08 April 2019 - 04:08 AM.

#7 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:08 PM

View PostBomb Bloke, on 08 April 2019 - 03:52 AM, said:

Ok so I threw the latest Project Red files into my MC1.12.2 set up
I've not had issues setting redstone, but it doesn't appear that inputs are being propagated correctly - they only update when breaking and replacing the block. It's also worth noting there were some bugs with redstone propagation on 1.82.0 (sorry), so that may have caused issues for Gopher - 1.82.1 fixed that.

Edit: Looks like P:R also has a bug with how it propagates redstone to neighbouring blocks, meaning we ignored the changes given to us. This'll be fixed in the next version.

Edited by SquidDev, 08 April 2019 - 01:57 PM.

#8 GopherAtl

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:28 PM

aaah, it wasn't deleted, just split and moved! Would be nice of the forum software had notified me of this, or at least corrected it's own links to replies, but apparently I stumbled into it.

@Bomb Bloke I didn't know PR:Compat was even a thing, so that is probably my problem, yes. I feel dumb now. Seems an odd design choice to have it *be* a separate thing, to me, but w/e.

Of course, if SimpleLogic Wires has the wires without all the other stuff, I'm probably going to go that route instead, anyway - literally all I want from P:R is that, and if Ender IO's had compatibility, I wouldn't need either.

Thanks everyone for the help/info!

#9 Dog

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationEarth orbit

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:36 PM

PR: Compat explains it. I had base, lighting, and integeration, but not compat. Thanks, Bomb Bloke!

I'll also be checking out SimpleLogic Wires - seems like a straight forward and simple solution.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users