A question on item ID's

5 replies to this topic

#1 Purple

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationAlone in the dark, looking at the pretty lights with dreams of things I can not have.

Posted 24 November 2019 - 04:41 PM

I've been doing a lot of work with turtles for automating my IC2 manufacturing setup. And when switching over to MC 1.12 from 1.72 I've run into a problem. Used to be that when you ran turtle.getItemDetail().Name on IC2 ore dusts (after you wash crushed ore in the ore washing plant) the function returned nice names separate from the useless stone dust. Now this is no longer the case and they all just return "ic2:dust". Obviously this is a serous massive problem to my efforts. So is there any way for me to actually differentiate the items in question using a turtle?

Edit: I have since found a complex workaround but the question still stands.

Edited by Purple, 24 November 2019 - 05:28 PM.

#2 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:38 PM

This is likely due to how IC2 organises its items.

You might be able to use the damage values of the items to differentiate them.

#3 Purple

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationAlone in the dark, looking at the pretty lights with dreams of things I can not have.

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:57 AM

Aren't damage values how much HP an object (like tools or armor) has? How can that differ between stackable items with no health?

#4 SquidDev

Frickin' laser beams | Resident Necromancer

• Members
  • 1,427 posts
  • LocationDoes anyone put something serious here?

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:06 AM

View PostPurple, on 30 November 2019 - 07:57 AM, said:

Aren't damage values how much HP an object (like tools or armor) has? How can that differ between stackable items with no health?
While the damage value is used for item health, it's also used for to store other data. For instance, the colour of wool is stored in the damage value.

A lot of mods, especially the older ones, use "god items" where they pack every kind of item into a single item id, using different damage values for each variant. This means you end up using fewer item ids, which was important when the number was pretty limited.

Edited by SquidDev, 30 November 2019 - 08:06 AM.

#5 Purple

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:51 AM

That I did not know. An ugly hack that is, if a clever one. Shall test it out immediately. Thanks.

#6 Purple

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:37 PM

It worked. Thanks again you guys. Now my integrated production facility can continue developing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users