Tekkit, good or bad?

75 replies to this topic

Poll: Tekkit, good or bad? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like Tekkit?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#21 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

View PostMadCrayolaz, on 06 August 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

View PostPinkishu, on 06 August 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

View PostMadCrayolaz, on 06 August 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

Honestly, if the only thing that Tekkit is useful for is its easy of installation, then it is easily defunct. I already create installers for my server for people who don't use mods. It's easy to use, and is approved so far by all the mod owners. I can't imagine why you need to use Tekkit if there are better programs out there.

1 Installer vs 50

also as i pointed out its not only useful for installing

Yoy do know that that's not PART of Tekkit. It's part of their website. I guess since noone else has come up with a better advertising way than Tekkit has, there is no competition.
That's not really true, Stuff like rei's minimap, modloader, the pistons upgrade mod and redpower are more well known than tekkit.I didn't even know about tekkit's existence until I saw my friend using it one day. No videos, no forums, no nothing, no mention until that day.

#22 MadCrayolaz

• New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

View PostPharap, on 06 August 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

Honestly, if the only thing that Tekkit is useful for is its easy of installation, then it is easily defunct. I already create installers for my server for people who don't use mods. It's easy to use, and is approved so far by all the mod owners. I can't imagine why you need to use Tekkit if there are better programs out there.

Because tekkit is easy to run and use. It's much quicker to run one jar than copy these files into this jar, make sure you load things in this order, extract all 25 of these documents et cetera et cetera.

It's like the whole linux vs mac vs windows arguement. Everyone has an OS they prefer for their own reasons. Sure you can get linux and then download all the windows programs like word and office, but if you don't want to be doing all the installing, you can just get windows. It's a similar concept.

I'm talking about other programs. Not hand installing. You really should read. And it's made in java, so it's compatible on each OS.
Oh and I am talking about the server search, Pinkishu.

#23 Pinkishu

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

Well its not only the tekkit website
If i search for tekkit in MC server forums I know i'll find servers with the mods tekkit has

Now trying that for individual mods might be hard

#24 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

View PostMadCrayolaz, on 06 August 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

Because tekkit is easy to run and use. It's much quicker to run one jar than copy these files into this jar, make sure you load things in this order, extract all 25 of these documents et cetera et cetera.

It's like the whole linux vs mac vs windows arguement. Everyone has an OS they prefer for their own reasons. Sure you can get linux and then download all the windows programs like word and office, but if you don't want to be doing all the installing, you can just get windows. It's a similar concept.

I'm talking about other programs. Not hand installing. You really should read. And it's made in java, so it's compatible on each OS.
Aside from bukkit there's not much else out there. If there is, it's poorly advertised.

#25 MadCrayolaz

• New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

View PostPinkishu, on 06 August 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

If i search for tekkit in MC server forums I know i'll find servers with the mods tekkit has

*Goes to Forums* *Finds IndustrialCraft 2 Server Immediately*
I'm not sure where you got your info from...

View PostPharap, on 06 August 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

Aside from bukkit there's not much else out there. If there is, it's poorly advertised.
CanaryMod? It's like a new version of Hey0. If you even know what that is. And Tekkit and Bukkit aren't the same thing. Tekkit is a mod pack compatible with old versions of Bukkit, and Bukkit is a server mod. There's Spout, which is made FOR Bukkit, and such. Tekkit is the Technic Pack for Bukkit. Not really the same.

#26 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:43 AM

View PostMadCrayolaz, on 06 August 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

CanaryMod? It's like a new version of Hey0. If you even know what that is. And Tekkit and Bukkit aren't the same thing. Tekkit is a mod pack compatible with old versions of Bukkit, and Bukkit is a server mod. There's Spout, which is made FOR Bukkit, and such. Tekkit is the Technic Pack for Bukkit. Not really the same.
Never heard of it, never heard of it. Tekkit and Bukkit are both mods. Never heard of spout either. Again, advertising isn't really the applicable term. Unless you spend your life on a forum, these aren't going to crop up commonly.

#27 MadCrayolaz

• New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:48 AM

Pharap said:

Never heard of it, never heard of it. Tekkit and Bukkit are both mods. Never heard of spout either. Again, advertising isn't really the applicable term. Unless you spend your life on a forum, these aren't going to crop up commonly.

Tekkit itself is not a mod. It's a mod pack built for the server mod Bukkit. The other things I mentioned are also very well known. Just because you don't know them doesn't mean it isn't well known.

#28 Luanub

Lua Nub

• Members
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:26 AM

View PostPharap, on 07 August 2012 - 12:43 AM, said:

Wow I'm suprised you haven't heard of those. Some of the first things I heard about when getting into modding MC was Bukkit, Spout, and Tekkit. Maybe you should do a little more research.

Tekkit has it's pro's. It's good for people who are not capable of modding their own clients. Also good for people who are lazy and dont want to take the time(even though it does not take that long or much effort to mod your own client). But that is about it. It has major downsides, things like mods being modified so that they will work with all of the mods in the pack and the fact it commonly uses old versions of mods. These types of actions by the tekkit team will leave you will buggy mods that are missing content.

IMO it is best to just setup a Bukkit server and mod it and your client yourself. This give you control, which if you're compentent enough is always a good thing.

#29 Pinkishu

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:27 AM

Well I meant mod combinations since usually I want a server to have more than just IC2

#30 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:45 AM

View PostCruor, on 06 August 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

the only thing i like about tekkit is the concept behind it with ease of use, meaning everybody can use it, and that it is fairly easy to find a servers using it. What i don't like at all is that they lied to us about getting permissions.
They never lied about it. It was always common knowledge that they didn't have permission.

I just don't see why, as a user, it bothers you so much. It's not like it's bad for mods to be included in tekkit. It generates publicity, and gets people playing their mods, isn't that good? So what if it doesn't generated adfly clicks. Adfly is freaking annoying.

#31 Luanub

Lua Nub

• Members
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

View PostD3matt, on 07 August 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

View PostCruor, on 06 August 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

the only thing i like about tekkit is the concept behind it with ease of use, meaning everybody can use it, and that it is fairly easy to find a servers using it. What i don't like at all is that they lied to us about getting permissions.
They never lied about it. It was always common knowledge that they didn't have permission.

I just don't see why, as a user, it bothers you so much. It's not like it's bad for mods to be included in tekkit. It generates publicity, and gets people playing their mods, isn't that good? So what if it doesn't generated adfly clicks. Adfly is freaking annoying.

It's actually the oposite. With the modifications that they do to some of the mods and the bugs that those modifications cause if people don't understand that its the Tekkit team causing these bugs and not the mod creators then it can ruin/harm the modders/mods reputation.

#32 MadCrayolaz

• New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostPinkishu, on 07 August 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

Well I meant mod combinations since usually I want a server to have more than just IC2

I personally am running most of the big technical mods, but it also includes CC, Forestry, and a whole grabbag of really useful stuff not found in Tekkit.
It's not like there are none out there, I find them commonly.

#33 MadCrayolaz

• New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

View Postluanub, on 07 August 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

It's actually the oposite. With the modifications that they do to some of the mods and the bugs that those modifications cause if people don't understand that its the Tekkit team causing these bugs and not the mod creators then it can ruin/harm the modders/mods reputation.

Regardless of all of that, if a mod creator says he doesn't want it in there, it's his right to say so. Putting it in would break the law, to some extent.

#34 Pinkishu

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

View PostMadCrayolaz, on 07 August 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

View PostPinkishu, on 07 August 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

I personally am running most of the big technical mods, but it also includes CC, Forestry, and a whole grabbag of really useful stuff not found in Tekkit.
It's not like there are none out there, I find them commonly.

Well but with tekkit i can be sure it has certain mods - its easy to search for
instead of trying to find one that has all of tekkits - 2 mods i want orso

#35 MadCrayolaz

• New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

View PostPinkishu, on 07 August 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

#1: Probably should stop multiquote spamming, lol.
#2: That's because it's the most publicized, but not the best. That's opinion of course, but still, I think other mod packs bring better mods together.

#36 Xenthera

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

The best thing to do, to get a better custom client/server on a bukkit server is, go to MCPC where they have (mostly) updated mods that have been ported to Bukkit. I don't get people that say Tekkit devs have done all the work, because they really haven't. All they did was take mods from that site, and put them in their own client. Then make some fancy art to go with it. Also to the people that say it's hard to mod a client: If you aren't capable of putting mods in a folder, then changing some id's (There is over 4000 id's to choose from with the new Forge), You really don't need to play with the mods in the first place. Honestly.

#37 Pinkishu

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

View PostMadCrayolaz, on 07 August 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

View PostPinkishu, on 07 August 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

#1: Probably should stop multiquote spamming, lol.
#2: That's because it's the most publicized, but not the best. That's opinion of course, but still, I think other mod packs bring better mods together.
@#1: tell the forum software

I haven't seen any including all the good mods besides tekkit imo (well maybe DNS but imo they're even worse than tekkit)
So how are these other modpacks better than tekkit? Do they have permissions? Likely not. Do they have bugs in the compilation? Likely

#38 cant_delete_account

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

Same as you. I hate Tekkit. Especially because he didn't get permission from all the modmakers.
And, now that most of the mods are ported to FML, all they're really doing is installing forge in the jar, and putting every other zip/jar file in /mods, which only takes about a minute.

#39 MadCrayolaz

• New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

View PostPinkishu, on 07 August 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

I haven't seen any including all the good mods besides tekkit imo (well maybe DNS but imo they're even worse than tekkit)
So how are these other modpacks better than tekkit? Do they have permissions? Likely not. Do they have bugs in the compilation? Likely

Most mod packs DO have permission. That's where you are wrong. Tekkit doesn't seem to care if it does or not, like when it used Forestry. And they are better because they don't put a 40 mod list of mods in. They chose mods that go well together, instead of just picking stuff at random and hoping it works. And tekkit does no work, all they do is get the mods and change ID's, like Xanthera said. In no way do they make patches to make the mods work together.

#40 Pinkishu

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

View PostMadCrayolaz, on 07 August 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

View PostPinkishu, on 07 August 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

Most mod packs DO have permission. That's where you are wrong. Tekkit doesn't seem to care if it does or not, like when it used Forestry. And they are better because they don't put a 40 mod list of mods in. They chose mods that go well together, instead of just picking stuff at random and hoping it works. And tekkit does no work, all they do is get the mods and change ID's, like Xanthera said. In no way do they make patches to make the mods work together.

They change IDs and code the launcher and test mods ;)/> thats work imo

How would most mod-packs have permission if every mod i see has "DON'T ASK ABOUT ADDING THIS TO YOUR PACK"?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users