Lan wires?

86 replies to this topic

Poll: Lan Wires? (74 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think lan wires should be added?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 KaoS

Diabolical Coder

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationThat dark shadow under your bed...

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

dimension anchors :)/>

#22 hego555

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:37 AM

It would be illogical to make a mile long wire -.-, me more of a security threat then a modem!

#23 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

View PostKillaVanilla, on 16 September 2012 - 08:18 PM, said:

I like everything except for the part about infinite range. LANs are local area networks.
Not if you are using a tunnelling client like comodo or hamachi

View Posthego555, on 19 September 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

It would be illogical to make a mile long wire -.-, me more of a security threat then a modem!
Not if you have obsidian.
Besides, the point is it's supposed to be a solution to 1-the range issue and 2- allowing a group of computers to contact each other without loads of annoying message juggling and without the network being hackable, in effect a 'local' broadcast, so broadcast only sends data to the computers connected via wire, meaning someone actually has to find your wires and hook up to them.

#24 TheeIntrepidGamer

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:30 AM

What you would do about the unloading of chunks would be to make the wires keep the chunks loaded automatically and, to have the chunk loading feature configurable in the CC Config, since some server owners already disable World Anchors.

#25 immibis

Lua God

• Members
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:10 AM

View PostFirestorm002, on 30 September 2012 - 02:30 AM, said:

What you would do about the unloading of chunks would be to make the wires keep the chunks loaded automatically and, to have the chunk loading feature configurable in the CC Config, since some server owners already disable World Anchors.
That's much laggier than storing information about the wires elsewhere.

#26 dimitriye98

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

Ok, for the "mile-long" thing, just add a limit in the config, maybe like this:
lan_wire_distance_limit = 1024
And so any message in the wire only goes that far...
As to chunk loading, maybe when you place wire it checks for a connection to a wire network, if there is one it connects else it makes a new one. When two wire networks connect, the less active one gets merged into the more active one. Any computer connected to a wire is connected to its wire network. This would likely require infinite wire connection but whatever. Also, if anyone complains that lag wire can't, why not just call it Fibre-optic Cable.

#27 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostPharap, on 29 September 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

View PostKillaVanilla, on 16 September 2012 - 08:18 PM, said:

I like everything except for the part about infinite range. LANs are local area networks.
Not if you are using a tunnelling client like comodo or hamachi

View Posthego555, on 19 September 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

Not if you have obsidian.
Besides, the point is it's supposed to be a solution to 1-the range issue and 2- allowing a group of computers to contact each other without loads of annoying message juggling and without the network being hackable, in effect a 'local' broadcast, so broadcast only sends data to the computers connected via wire, meaning someone actually has to find your wires and hook up to them.
Your problem is that you see this as a problem.

#28 MysticT

Lua Wizard

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

I need ideas for recipes on this:
- Network cables: utp, stp, coaxial, optical fiber
- Lan switch peripheral
- Lan repeater
- Lan sniffer
- Wireless modem

Just need that, some textures and a few other details to release it :)/>

#29 Sebra

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

Why you need four types of cable? Wireless Modem present already. Why switch as peripheral?

#30 MysticT

Lua Wizard

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostSebra, on 30 September 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

Why you need four types of cable?
They have different speed and distance limit.

Wireless Modem present already.
This ones works by frequency.

Why switch as peripheral?
To connect to the computer, the cables can't be connected directly to the computer.

#31 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

Mystic, this isn't a cisco networking simulator. One type of lan cable is plenty.

EDIT: If you're talking about your own peripheral, then talk about it somewhere else so this topic doesn't get confused.

#32 MysticT

Lua Wizard

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostD3matt, on 30 September 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

Mystic, this isn't a cisco networking simulator. One type of lan cable is plenty.

EDIT: If you're talking about your own peripheral, then talk about it somewhere else so this topic doesn't get confused.
:)/> I like it that way, so there's different options.
It's my own periperhal, but it's related to this, that's why I posted it here. If someone has suggestions about it, feel free to post/pm it.

#33 hego555

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:09 AM

Cool with me to have multiple wires!

Make each one have its own advantage though... so everyone doesn't use the same wire for everything!

#34 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

View PostMysticT, on 30 September 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

I need ideas for recipes on this:
- Network cables: utp, stp, coaxial, optical fiber
- Lan switch peripheral
- Lan repeater
- Lan sniffer
- Wireless modem

Just need that, some textures and a few other details to release it :(/>
You sir deserve a medal.
I would contribute some recipes if I knew what it all did, but I'll go for one I definitely do know:
Frequency Modem:
SSS
SMS
SSS
S-Switch
M-Modem
(switches to represent the turning on of 8 bits representing a numerical frequency stored in a byte)
As for cables, I think you could have :
SSS
III
SSS
S-Stone
I-Iron
With the type of stone used determining strength of the cable (cobblestone>stone(smeltedcobble)>stonebricks(4stone))
Or alternatively, you could have a standard weak wire made like so:
III
I-iron
and then the weak wire could be strengthened like so:
III
IWI
III
I-Iron
W-Wire
and keep repeating that for each upgrade, making each upgrade require 8 iron, so if you have 4 stages, they would essentially cost around 27-35 iron each.

View PostD3matt, on 30 September 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

Mystic, this isn't a cisco networking simulator. One type of lan cable is plenty. EDIT: If you're talking about your own peripheral, then talk about it somewhere else so this topic doesn't get confused.

1 may be plenty for you, but I for one aren't going to complain if someone wants to grace us with more than that.

#35 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:32 AM

i like the idea alot, bundled cables are too slow

#36 immibis

Lua God

• Members
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:24 AM

If you want multiple types of cables, they need to be different in some way.

#37 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:07 AM

View Postimmibis, on 03 October 2012 - 02:24 AM, said:

If you want multiple types of cables, they need to be different in some way.

View PostMysticT, on 30 September 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

Why you need four types of cable?
They have different speed and distance limit.

What more difference do you need?

#38 Kingdaro

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,636 posts
  • Location'MURICA

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:57 AM

I'm not exactly sure if someone's already said this (sort of just skimmed through the topic), but why not just make rednet slower to respond depending on distance? That would make an actual need for the kind of cables OP suggests.

#39 Sebra

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:09 AM

What a ### idea to make a working think worse to make a need for a new suggestion. :D/>

#40 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

View PostKingdaro, on 05 October 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

I'm not exactly sure if someone's already said this (sort of just skimmed through the topic), but why not just make rednet slower to respond depending on distance? That would make an actual need for the kind of cables OP suggests.

There is a need, the need to have a local network so you can talk everyone on the network, but nobody else knows what you are saying.
Like if you connected several real world computers via LAN, then sent data through the LAN, only the computers on the network could read the data, thus connecting several computers and shutting all the others out.
Yes, you could just have a table of the computer IDs and send the data to all of them, but that's fiddly, especially for beginners. The LAN cables are just a hardware solution to software complications, which is perfectly fine, good for beginners and quicker. It could also be used to connect to peripherals further away (eg a turtle, disk drive or one of the extra peripherals like the printer).
It's fine if there are people who don't see a use for them, but there are others who do see the clear use and can put them to use, so they will have a use and thus should be created.

View PostSebra, on 06 October 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

What a ### idea to make a working think worse to make a need for a new suggestion. :D/>

It's not taking a working thing and making it worse, it's taking a working thing and adding a new feature to make it easier to use.

On a side note: please, if you are going to argue a statement, please don't swear, even if it is hashed out (which makes it look more pathetic than if you had swore) and try to use a coherent level of spelling and grammar.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users