[SMP] [MC 1.2.5 | 1.41] Turtle Sign Reader v 1.1 - Turtles reading signs

23 replies to this topic

#1 xuma202

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationBonn Germany

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

OUTDATED
Sorry guys, this project is no longer supported.
But you may wanna take a look here: http://www.computerc...peripherals-30/
RichardG867 is taking care of this since MC 1.2.5.

However here is the original thread:

Hello,

a couple of a days ago this has been suggested here. Because I considered this to be a good idea I made a simple peripheral that has the ability to read signs.

Screenshots:

Posted Image

more

How to use:

You can craft a reading Tutrle using a Turtle and a sign.

The peripheral has three functions so far.

read() Will read the sign in front of the Turtle
readUp() Will read the sign above the Turtle
readDown() Will read the sign below the Turtle

they all return 4 strings 1 for each line of text on the sign.

Download

v 1.1 client: mediafire server: mediafire
v 1.0 client: mediafire server: mediafire

Changelog:

v 1.1:
  • No longer incompatible with ARP
v 1.0:
  • Well it's v 1.0 so...
Known Bugs:
  • No bugs known in latest version.
To do:
  • Update to MC 1.3.2
  • Wait for peoples input :)/>
xuma202

Any feedback is highly appreciated

#2 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

I told them that the people in charge would be against the idea, and I still think it's not a very useful ability, but I'm glad someone who can make peripherals made one. It gives me hope to know that there are people who see suggestions and actually do something about them.

#3 ardera

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

Great! :D/>
What about writing signs (if its supported in cc 1.4.1: really? didn't get that!)?

And another idea: better screenshots :P/>

#4 DarkNinja2462

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationThe 4th Dimension

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

How about readAll(), readAllUp(), and readAllDown() to read all lines of a sign as "line1..n..line2..n..line3..n..line4" (1 string with 4 lines)
Also readLine(line#), readLineUp(line#), readLineDown(line#) to read 1 line (1 string)

P.S. Even though it is not much, it could be useful! Well done! :P/>

#5 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

View PostPharap, on 12 August 2012 - 03:31 PM, said:

I told them that the people in charge would be against the idea, and I still think it's not a very useful ability, but I'm glad someone who can make peripherals made one. It gives me hope to know that there are people who see suggestions and actually do something about them.

The thing is, we didn't even comment about turtles reading signs. I can see uses for it. I don't appreciate someone else saying what me and dan would or would not like without asking us.

#6 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

View PostCloudy, on 12 August 2012 - 11:39 PM, said:

The thing is, we didn't even comment about turtles reading signs. I can see uses for it. I don't appreciate someone else saying what me and dan would or would not like without asking us.

You've shot down better ideas. You also haven't even seen the origin of the idea, and be honest, would you really have put this in the next version or would you have said 'someone make a peripheral'? The latter tends to be far more common around these forums.

#7 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:08 AM

View PostPharap, on 13 August 2012 - 12:14 AM, said:

View PostCloudy, on 12 August 2012 - 11:39 PM, said:

You've shot down better ideas. You also haven't even seen the origin of the idea, and be honest, would you really have put this in the next version or would you have said 'someone make a peripheral'? The latter tends to be far more common around these forums.

I shoot down ideas that I know have no place in the mod - I also give good reasons for it, and explain why we don't want it to happen. But I will not discuss it here as I don't want to crap up anyone else's thread.

To OP: Nice work.

#8 FuzzyPurp

Part-Time Ninja

• Members
  • 510 posts
  • LocationHarlem, NY

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:33 AM

Although having a whole separate turtle with these functions is pointless, Turtles are blind by the way.

#9 xuma202

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationBonn Germany

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

Ok guys I've fixed the incompatibility with ARP.

#10 samdeman22

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationScotland!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

well, this is perfect! i could màke a message board on a monitor that reads from a simpler message board somewhere else. I wonder, could this be used with the sign tags mod?

#11 xuma202

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationBonn Germany

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

View Postsamdeman22, on 13 August 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

well, this is perfect! i could màke a message board on a monitor that reads from a simpler message board somewhere else. I wonder, could this be used with the sign tags mod?

Hm possible. I've not tested it but you can try. I'm seeing no reason why it should not.
Maybe you can tell us if you had success.

#12 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostFuzzyPurp, on 13 August 2012 - 06:33 AM, said:

Although having a whole separate turtle with these functions is pointless, Turtles are blind by the way.

One of the main reasons I was against the idea. That and it doesn't really give the turtle any functionality that can't be achieved with a well-designed program.

#13 xuma202

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationBonn Germany

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

View PostPharap, on 13 August 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

One of the main reasons I was against the idea. That and it doesn't really give the turtle any functionality that can't be achieved with a well-designed program.

Yes it's too bad that a turtle can only have one peripheral but since I can't get beyond this limitation this was the best I could do. Maybe there could be a peripheral that allows having more than 1 peripheral attached to a turtle. Or this will get an inbuilt feature of CC.

#14 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

View Postxuma202, on 14 August 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

View PostPharap, on 13 August 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

Yes it's too bad that a turtle can only have one peripheral but since I can't get beyond this limitation this was the best I could do. Maybe there could be a peripheral that allows having more than 1 peripheral attached to a turtle. Or this will get an inbuilt feature of CC.

Best thing you modders can do is band together to make a peripheral that gives the turtle the abilities of all your peripherals.

#15 FuzzyPurp

Part-Time Ninja

• Members
  • 510 posts
  • LocationHarlem, NY

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

Sphax support, not final - although you should change the name of the png, for compatibility purposes.
Or give it it's own folder structure instead of terrain/terrain.png
Posted Image

#16 Noodle

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationSometime.

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

This looks wicked! You can have it react to different signs! Like a real person (almost).

#17 xuma202

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationBonn Germany

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostFuzzyPurp, on 16 August 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

Sphax support, not final - although you should change the name of the png, for compatibility purposes.
[...]

I saw this issue but I thought it was caused by sth. else.
I'll fix this.

Btw: Can I use your texture? I like it better than mine, and I believe this was why you posted it here but you haven't said that I can use it so I wanna ask first .

#18 FuzzyPurp

Part-Time Ninja

• Members
  • 510 posts
  • LocationHarlem, NY

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

View Postxuma202, on 17 August 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

View PostFuzzyPurp, on 16 August 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

[...]

I saw this issue but I thought it was caused by sth. else.
I'll fix this.

Btw: Can I use your texture? I like it better than mine, and I believe this was why you posted it here but you haven't said that I can use it so I wanna ask first .

Sure, But its HD - that's 64x64 if you shrink it to 16x16 expect to lose quality.

#19 zekesonxx

• Signature Abuser
  • 263 posts
  • LocationWhere you aren't

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

Seeing this post makes me realize that all turtles are illiterate.

#20 Pharap

• Members
  • 816 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

View Postzekesonxx, on 30 October 2012 - 05:58 PM, said:

Seeing this post makes me realize that all turtles are illiterate.
Aren't all machines?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users