[Event] Castle War?

69 replies to this topic

#21 Lettuce

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationIn your fridge.

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

How do you determine the victor? When everyone on the other side is dead, or when the castle is utterly destroyed?

Where/how do I sign up?

I recommend dirt/wool/sand/gravel for player/turtle built barricades, those blocks listed are useless for tools, are easily spotted (especially colored wool) As long as you give players all items, and they can't use anything else, then they are useless for tools. I especially like sand/gravel, since these are difficult to mine, unless you know how, and even then take some time.

I'd love to try this.

--Lettuce

#22 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

View PostLettuce, on 15 September 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

How do you determine the victor? When everyone on the other side is dead, or when the castle is utterly destroyed?

Where/how do I sign up?

It's a pretty subjective measure at the moment (I'll try to introduce a better system soon) but for now teams are given a fixed time, 15 to 30 minutes usually and the team that appears to have done the most damage to a structure is a winner. For official or close matches we'd probably send out turtles to count the number of bricks destroyed.

As for signing up, we really just need two teams who want to have a go at it. So I'd recommend spreading the word to other interested people, see if you can get some friends to form a team with, then send me an email with your names. Once we have two teams, we'll fire up a match, and see where it goes from there. In my wilder dreams I imagine this taking off as a bit of a sport, but lets start small.

#23 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:16 AM

Today I asked the people who run my server to have a go at coming up with an arena for this event, one that provides lots of freedom, emphasizes the importance of programming in the event and looks awesome. This is what they came up with...
Posted Image

#24 KaoS

Diabolical Coder

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationThat dark shadow under your bed...

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

My God... the glorious gloriousness

I have seen many incredible structures that are better than this but for an arena?.... AWW YISS

#25 Bubba

Use Code Tags!

• Moderators
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationRHIT

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

... Do want. Very much. That looks so incredibly cool. Imagine how awesome it would be if minecraft had realistic sinking :)/>

#26 Azyru

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

Man if only I knew how to program in lua already, I'd be all over this :)/> Looks amazing NF.

#27 Lettuce

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

It would almost be a shame to see those beautiful ships (and blimp) destroyed by turtles. When we were talking about this, I had envisioned "two shabby stone shacks separated by water," or at best, two shabby towers. But two gorgeous (and highly flammable) ships? That's amazing, and a lot more effort goes into this than I expected. I could easily see this kind of thing turning into the new "programmer's spleefing." If this does turn into a legit sport, what shall we call it? Maybe "turstruction." Yes I know that's horrible.

Quick question: Are there fees for signing up?

#28 KillaVanilla

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

I'd like to sign up, if it's on a weekend or after 4 PM.

#29 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

To reiterate, to join you'll need to organize into teams of 3. Once you've got 3, post your names here. If you don't know any other people and everyone is okay with it, I can allocate teams myself.

I do hope for it to be something like spleefing, but no idea what to call it...

#30 KillaVanilla

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:33 AM

View Postnitrogenfingers, on 16 September 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

To reiterate, to join you'll need to organize into teams of 3. Once you've got 3, post your names here. If you don't know any other people and everyone is okay with it, I can allocate teams myself.

I do hope for it to be something like spleefing, but no idea what to call it...

Sorry, I didn't see that. I don't know anyone else.

#31 Lettuce

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:49 AM

Forum Usernames or Minecraft Usernames?

#32 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:02 AM

Forum names for now (for organizational purposes), though eventually we'll need minecraft names as well.

If you're more comfortable, feel free to email me this information as well- if you're interested but don't have any other friends on the forums, or know any people you're comfortable asking, let me know and I'm sure I can find a team for you.

I will update the description of this event to indicate a call for teams, and post a video later with demo match to drum up publicity. If we get enough people to form two 3-person teams (or maybe even bigger teams?) I'll schedule a date on the server- a Saturday afternoon/evening US EST is usually best?

#33 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:18 AM

I wish there was something a bit more casual than what this has turned into I don't really want competitions and teams and stuff, I just wanna blow stuff up with turtles with a bunch of other people.

#34 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:20 AM

View PostD3matt, on 17 September 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

I wish there was something a bit more casual than what this has turned into I don't really want competitions and teams and stuff, I just wanna blow stuff up with turtles with a bunch of other people.

This is a fair point, which I'll try to rebut there.

It is about as casual as sports get (we've tried to minimize rules and the sole objective is blowing stuff up).

I've asked to make teams because it's a team game and has been since it's inception. I've also asked people to make teams because I'm too lazy to make them myself, but I will if people want me to.
And competition is there to make the event sort of attractive- if it were just blowing things up with turtles, well it doesn't have much point. It's not a game then, it's just blowing things up. We have TV for that. By having people compete there's a drive to do well. It also makes it great fun to watch- I can vouch for that and there's a video on the way to demonstrate it.
The format I've proposed here is identical to that which I give in workshops, and the sole reason it's easier there is because people are already on the server, so we just divvy them up and let them go at each other. If it's any consolation, it won't be very official, it will be about as casual as a two-team contest can be. The goal is fun, and always will be. But there have to be some rules and some regulation because without it it's not very much fun to play except for a very few people. Same reason games like football have rules on tackles, and monopoly has rules on taking money from the bank. It's hard to produce anything especially interesting to do/watch without them.

#35 Lettuce

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

View Postnitrogenfingers, on 17 September 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

I will update the description of this event to indicate a call for teams, and post a video later with demo match to drum up publicity. If we get enough people to form two 3-person teams (or maybe even bigger teams?) I'll schedule a date on the server- a Saturday afternoon/evening US EST is usually best?

I'm on US EST, so of course I'm in favor of that.

I'm basically a free agent, I really don't care who I'm with, especially on these forums, I haven't met a person I don't like, we all help eachother here. I might PM some guys to see if I can get a team together. Otherwise, is there a "mercenary" system, where we just kinda get some guys who're interested and put them in a team, where no one knows eachother?

#36 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:02 AM

I don't so much mind the competition as needing to have a team and stuff. I'd love to just jump in a game with a bunch of randoms at a set time and just have games running all day or whatever.

#37 Moopington

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

Oh, oh. Me! :)/> Can I join? Me you and sledger could be a team. XD

#38 etopsirhc

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:59 AM

if any one needs another person for a team pm me , i'd be more than willing to join in =D

#39 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

I'll be posting a video shortly- we've played a trial run of this on the arena I showed earlier, and it was great fun. I lost by a very wide margin :)/>, though determining a winner is quite hard (something we have to work on).

Moopington, I'm up for it if you and Sledger are, and I think we hvae a few others I can cobble into a second team. We're good to go!
I'll show that video soon, and send out emails later.

#40 nitrogenfingers

Lua Professor

• Members
  • 551 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

Video is now up. I've now played two games of this, and it's one of the tensest games I've ever played.

Here are a few tips for prospective players:

- Plan targets carefully. Stairwells, supply chests and enemy computers are all good targets to aim for- even if it's not a 100% effective attack this will disrupt your opponents.
- Work as a team. Have a spotter on duty looking for enemy turtles. Do big tasks like organizing group attacks together. Organize targets to minimize overlap, or to maximize it. Repair debilitating damage like stair cases and ladders to other areas.
- Don't rely on the environment. What's true when you fire off a turtle may not be true when it arrives. Program your turtles to handle extenuating circumstances
- Don't overcomplicate your programs. Relying on too many details or untested algorithms is a recipe for disaster and wasted TNT
- Ration TNT carefully. TNT is more valuable than turtles so send empty turtles before sending full ones to make sure your algorithms work before sending one laden with explosives the enemy might steal.
- Be creative. Nothing unnerves your opponent like an effective attack- try attacking from underground, high in the clouds or with many turtles at once to really put them off guard.
- Be clever with your attacks. Dropping 10 TNT in one place is a waste. Try to spread it over a large area. Cannoning TNT is especially devious.
- Don't be a jerk. Don't intentionally block enemy turtles, attack them mid air with a pickaxe or go to the enemy base in person and sabotage them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users