Work crews and squads

10 replies to this topic

#1 bscross32

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

Hey all, here's my idea. Turtles should be able to be assigned into groups with one designated leader. The leader would be crafted differently from a normal turtle. As a work crew, turtles could do the following:
  • Mine in groups
  • Subsidiaries could break off and have their own tasks related to what they were doing (sorting, bringing fuel from a designated location and so on)
  • The coder would only have to interact with the leader, who would send commands through rednet to its charges.
Turtles in both situations could track the leader and navigate without GPS requesting, thus keeping the number of requests limited to the leader of each group.

Turtles in a militaristic situation would be able to do the following:
  • engage in formations and fight in formations of various types
  • Have the ability to use bows or any other weapon
  • receive tactical programming from the coder that would be sent out to subsidiaries through rednet
And there would be a whole lot more.

#2 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

I don't know if this should be implemented in Computercraft globally, but would be an interesting idea for someone to write a script for.

#3 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

... So, what you're saying is, you want the mod to do all the programming work for you?

#4 KaoS

Diabolical Coder

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationThat dark shadow under your bed...

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

I started working on a script like this a while ago, it is quite difficult for the leader to assign relevant tasks automatically, the navigation etc etc is easy

#5 Sammich Lord

IRC Addict

• Members
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationThe Sammich Kingdom

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

Why would you need computercraft to do the coding for you? With some time you could do this quite easily.

#6 Zoinky

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

It's already possible. Just hard to code (IMO).

#7 BrolofTheViking

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

Despite being a pretty much novice programmer, I've started on a project to create something of a turtle hive mind that would include features like this

#8 portablejim

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:54 AM

View Postbscross32, on 20 September 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

• The coder would only have to interact with the leader, who would send commands through rednet to its charges.

They would not be a coder, but a user. The coder is the one who wrote the whole program.

#9 JJRcop

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

This is unnecessary to incorporate into the core mod. The point of the mod is for you to be able to make things like this yourself.
The only reason for there to even be preset programs, were so that the turtles would be able to accomplish basic tasks to lessen frustration. And to give examples of the turtle API usage.
If there were allot of things like this, very, advanced, pre-set programs, to do everything you could imagine without you typing a character except to call the program, the purpose and essence of the mod would be lost, and it would be considered overpowered.

TL;DR Think about the benefit of the mod, not yourself.

#10 rkclown

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

Ive had somewhat of the same idea for a while now.
just couldnt really think of where to start programming.

#11 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

Don't revive topics from the dead. I realize this is your first post, but necromancy is generally not permitted on these forums.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users