utility api

15 replies to this topic

#1 BeaTtheDruM247

• New Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationScotland, Inverness

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

​Boot-up Script

I'm back again with another boot up script! ;)/> Except this one is better! :D/>
You can use this as your startup program or use it as an api for a program, os.loadAPI( path ).
Hope you like it, Thanks :P/>

You can use this as your startup program or use it as an api for a program, os.loadAPI( path ).

Code:
Spoiler

- By BeaTtheDruM247

#2 ficolas

• New Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

Why ?
If you want something like so u use an os/make one

#3 casr144

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

Cool, but you should make an OS to go with it. Even if it's just a menu with some basic programs, it would give the whole boot screen thing a purpose.

#4 jag

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

A big lie, nothing more...

If I start my computer, it says "Running startup program..." and then tells me it got 35 folders and 491 files.
So then I create a folder and a file, and when I reboot it still tells me it got 35 folders and 491 files.
This one don't even check for files, it just says a number.

And don't forget about the lie at the top where it's "loading the program".

#5 Fashter

• New Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:40 AM

People don't publish their programs on here to get degraded by people like you. They publish it to show it off or maybe get some constructive feedback on it. Constructive meaning you giving advice on how to improve it, not just dick remarks.

#6 Ditto8353

• New Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

View PostFashter, on 19 October 2012 - 04:40 AM, said:

People don't publish their programs on here to get degraded by people like you. They publish it to show it off or maybe get some constructive feedback on it. Constructive meaning you giving advice on how to improve it, not just dick remarks.

Jag is being quite sensible and reasonably civil, all things considered.
This program is, of course, a lie, and the topic title is also a lie. A realistic boot implies that it would do useful things like check system integrity, or tell the OS where to find the monitor. This is not a realistic boot script. This is a short film designed to give the illusion of a boot script. You will find that most people are rightfully hostile towards things like fake loading screens and fake progress bars.
This one is even worse, as it precisely quantifies its lies by offering values such as "bytes loaded" and "35 folders". It is showing false information with a precision that increases its chance to fool the user.
If this was presented as a "Fake Boot Loader" as it should have been, then Jag would have no merit in his complaints and neither of us would probably be posting in this thread. This would be accepted as a neat little film and would probably become popular with the newer programmers that want their programs to look flashy.

#7 kazagistar

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

It is funny how people have become so used to computer startups being slow that they feel that there is something wrong with instant-on systems.

There are very few technical reasons for any human visible delays in CC.

#8 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

If you ask me, the only wait you should be forced to see is if there is something like a logo or a license added to the computer. Even then, it should only be a few seconds.

#9 robhol

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

Realistic? This is bullshit, why even use something like this, let alone "release" it...

#10 rhyleymaster

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Guys, He posted this for fun (Obviously) don't pick on him. Its supposed to be a fake loader to look cool, Not to be anything purposeful. Ever heard of "Entertaining"? That's what this is.
Don't go picking on other peoples codes if you've got nothing good to say about it. (Im talking to you, jag_e_nummer_ett )
Please only CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. How would you like it if someone said all your codes sucked?

#11 robhol

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

If they sucked and that someone told me the reason (in this case: 0 utility value, nobody wants to endure a completely artificial wait in order to use anything, and the code itself isn't good either), I expect I would've had to suck it up..

#12 coaster3000

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey USA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

View Postrobhol, on 09 November 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

If they sucked and that someone told me the reason (in this case: 0 utility value, nobody wants to endure a completely artificial wait in order to use anything, and the code itself isn't good either), I expect I would've had to suck it up..

This does not suck. I would use this just for display purpose. If i may. Can i modify this to display real information. I will relink the code to you so you can still retain the rights to it. I only want to challenge myself in lua. Relearning it. Also first time coming here on this site about computer craft. I used to use it a lot.

#13 Lewis.holcombe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

View Postrobhol, on 06 November 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

Realistic? This is bullshit, why even use something like this, let alone "release" it...
wow man. Mature. I've done loads of things like this when I got started with cc and still now a year in I have my first startup boot procedure like this. If you didn't like it why did you comment.

#14 GopherAtl

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

lewis: your objection to unnecessary hostility is valid, but bumping a month-old thread to post it was equally unnecessary, particularly since others had in fact already posted similar sentiments before you.

#15 Dave-ee Jones

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVan Diemen's Land

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:32 AM

*facepalm* We appreciate you going through all that trouble to make a fake waiting-for-bytes-to-load system.

#16 AfterLifeLochie

Wiki Oracle

• Moderators
  • 480 posts
  • LocationAfterLifeLochie's "Dungeon", Australia

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:32 AM

View PostAutoLocK, on 15 May 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

*facepalm* We appreciate you going through all that trouble to make a fake waiting-for-bytes-to-load system.
We do, however, not appreciate you reviving long-dead posts. Do not do so again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users