Cyber-Warfare in ComputerCraft.

53 replies to this topic

#1 tommyroyall

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

Cyber-Warfare in Minecraft

Cyber-warfare in CC is by far possible. It involves the use of servers, turtles and networking to disrupt or damage the enemy. This will be a brief guide of what I have discovered as Cyber-warfare inside of CC.
Glossary:

Networking:
Server - A computer that runs software that broadcasts messages or data.
Server Sync - When a server syncs, it sends out it's next wave of data.
Server Sync Rate - The rate of which every server syncs. A typical rate is 10.
Attacking Computer - The computer of which controls the attacks, and may launch attacks.
Sponge Computer - The computer that absorbs all data, useful for spying.
Manager Computer - The computer of which the hacker uses to manipulate the others.
Hack-Line or Hack-Buss - The bundled cable of which the manager computer controls the others from.

Tools:
Boot-Disk - A boot disk contains a blank, clean copy of your computer.
Xeno - A xeno, or xeno-program is a program of which is hostile to a computer. Not quite a virus as they do not always reproduce, more like simple mal-ware.
Hell-Wall - A large wall of wireless mining turtles all activated at the same time and they demolish any terrain that they come across. A method of physical destruction by way of computer.
Master Remote - A cannon managing computer.
ID Spoofer - An extra computer, typically manipulated by bundled cable that does the work, so that then the hacker isn't caught on their normal computer. The computer used to spoof an ID is typically destroyed after the operation.

Defenses:
Anti-Virus - A program filter that searches for malicious code.
Selective Networking - Filtering out which messages are accepted by way of ID.
Grid Tracking - Using a large grid of sponge computers to get an approximate location of a server.

Examples:

Example A >> The enemy communicated over RedNet. You use a spam-bot to take out their network.
Example B >> The enemy negotiates or trades, and you ID Spoof and promise to sell them lots of fake product for cheap, then when they arrive to pick it up you attack them.
Example C >> The enemy has a hidden server somewhere and it's interrupting you. You grid-track to find them.
Example D >> The enemy is not using much technology, so you set up a hell wall and send it after them.
Example E >> You make a filter for your trade or communication networks that filters out all known enemy IDs.
Example F >> You use a master remote to control your cannons, so that then you have immediate control of them.
Example G >> You set turtles out to dig massive tunnels through their obsidian lined walls to let your army through.
Example H >> You sponge on their network and get vital data.

Technique:

1. Spam - Sending repetitive data.
2. Sponge - Retrieving and storing data.
3. Grid Tracking - Using a grid of computer to track a particular server.
4. Hell-Walling - Using a large wall of wireless mining turtles to demolish terrain.
5. ID Spoofing - Using and disposing of another computer to keep your ID hidden.
6. Server Hosting - Using server software to host a server.
7. Xeno - A foreign, malicious piece of software. Sending a fake program that is actually a xeno is an example of attack.

Recommended Tools:
1. CoreNet - A good networking tool.
2. Custom server software, or if you're just doing broadcasts use CoreNet.
3. RedWord for word processing for creation of the programs.
4. Tomasss' StringUtilAPI for encryption/decryption.

Any ideas of what else I should put on here? Please comment :unsure:/>.
- Sledger721/SirDerpsAlot.

#2 LitCactus

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:03 AM

I thought some kind of in-game hacking would be interesting when I first saw this mod... Very nice post!

#3 jtdavis99

• New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:44 AM

I love this idea!

#4 FuzzyPurp

Part-Time Ninja

• Members
  • 510 posts
  • LocationHarlem, NY

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:16 AM

Haha we totally forgot about this idea. Too bad im busy with Redworks Toolkit - infact that may actually have use for this project :unsure:/>

#5 Liraal

• New Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:43 AM

Nice! Care if I implement this as an API?

#6 francogp

Lua Artistan

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

almost all of the idea is based on broadcasting servers? or there is a way to "hack" a rednet message to an specific ID?

#7 Liraal

• New Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:59 AM

via modems? i don't think so. But you can always spam the receiving function and generate loads of events for the opponent to deal with.

#8 francogp

Lua Artistan

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:08 AM

Liraal, on 05 March 2012 - 05:59 AM, said:

via modems? i don't think so. But you can always spam the receiving function and generate loads of events for the opponent to deal with.

but... that might "crash" you real computer (overloaded) or eat several FPS, instead of computercraft pc crash :S... I'm not sure... but

#9 Liraal

• New Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

Well, you can crash your real computer even easier (infinite threads). But spying on bundles is definitely a possibility, it'd require a bit of redstone events processing though. But I have other things in mind... :unsure:/>

#10 tommyroyall

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:13 AM

Also guys, this would make for a great API :3. attack(attackType) or spy(bundle).
Epic

#11 BigSHinyToys

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

When i think cyber warfare I don't think lets build a network with holes in it I think Ow look this is someones network look at all that unencrypted broadcast data. and then set a program to file every message. for me to collect and pick through latter.

The thrill of the game s to find the weakness not to have it programed in.

It would be rely to easy to hack any rednet system step one find one computer or bundle plug in to wifi or cable. run a packet sniffer.
sit back and read everyones secrets look for Commands on rudimentary systems this may not even exist. write a program that randomly sends one of the commands every random time. and wait for the complaints to roll in.

Hacking in computercraft is simple :(/>

thanks Dan200

#12 Liraal

• New Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

it's not that simple when a network is set up on modems (e.g. a system I am working on) not bundles, and if you have a physical connection (cable) between point A and point B, you can always protect it against hackers sniffing your net.

#13 BigSHinyToys

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

Liraal, on 22 March 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

it's not that simple when a network is set up on modems (e.g. a system I am working on) not bundles, and if you have a physical connection (cable) between point A and point B, you can always protect it against hackers sniffing your net.

all I would need to do is Open one of the routers and edit the code to send a message to me as well as deliver it. then sit back and collect all that sweet data :(/>

so let me predict your next response. "Well I will lock the terminal" place disk drive use Bump Key print("open") saved as startup

"Ok so i put it in a bullet proofed room of obsidian and use a white list to block me"
That is the only way to win

"But what about encryption"
I would look for a user treminal (made easer by triangulation ) and copy then reverse engineer the encryption method. Install a back door and KEY loger that sends your key to me when you use it next.

If you can think of a way to counter all of that I would like to see it. :)/>

#14 Liraal

• New Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

first of all - alternating network encryption with hashing, other hash for every node/terminal, containing its ID as well. (To implement :(/> )
no broadcasts meaning no triangulation as well (already done)
relay can be a turtle and when connected to a gps and with a good program it can shift positions easily and if captured, erase the coding and its hash and/or send a warning
also, because of the architecture of my network, you can only capture more message traffic if you make a 'node', and to do this (and for the node not to be rejected, you must have the correct network key)

now how do you counter this?

#15 BigSHinyToys

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

Computer virus designed to appendage its self to all files and run a fake shell. It would mimic shells functions and installs itself when you run a program infected by it. it then hides invisible to all. loging keys and sending data to me. there is no defense to that. as for how to get it into your network That is the simple part just leave it on a floppy in your chest. curiosity will win out always.

#16 Liraal

• New Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

and i am such a moron to launch it on a protected server, yeah... I have written my share of nasty viruses :)/> And false shell is always detectable, but to be completely sure, i will make integrity checks on all my software. :(/>

and as for using key loggers: You can only get messages to/from one computer. the rest is safe.

#17 BigSHinyToys

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

Ok then a fake os.pullEventRaw that sends a rennet message to me And exists entirely in RAM It is totally undetectable ounce installed.

it is always nice to find a worthy opponent
Thank's

#18 Sebra

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

Still no one rewrote Dan200 classes? Strange :(/>
Singleplay on isolated computer would be the only protection.

#19 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

BigSHinyToys, on 22 March 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

When i think cyber warfare I don't think lets build a network with holes in it I think Ow look this is someones network look at all that unencrypted broadcast data. and then set a program to file every message. for me to collect and pick through latter.

The thrill of the game s to find the weakness not to have it programed in.

It would be rely to easy to hack any rednet system step one find one computer or bundle plug in to wifi or cable. run a packet sniffer.
sit back and read everyones secrets look for Commands on rudimentary systems this may not even exist. write a program that randomly sends one of the commands every random time. and wait for the complaints to roll in.

Hacking in computercraft is simple :)/>

thanks Dan200

If you use the broadcast feature, then yes, it's intercept-able, by its very nature. If you use rednet.send, then it isn't, as it only goes to the computer you ask it to.

Sebra, on 22 March 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

Still no one rewrote Dan200 classes? Strange :(/>
Singleplay on isolated computer would be the only protection.

How would that help at all? And how would that be possible within the realms of Lua?

#20 Wolvan

• New Members
  • 384 posts
  • LocationIn the TARDIS

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

I am so totally ready for cyber warfare! Let us build that together what do you say?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users