ComputerCraft app [Android]/[iPhone]

96 replies to this topic

#1 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

I have never worked with making apps, but I get the feeling that at least SOMEONE in this community has. I propose making a ComputerCraft app for Android/iPhone. At the very least it would be nice to have a decent Lua interpreter on the mobile platform.
I think it would be nice to have, and although probably difficult, I think I can make some suggestions:
  • Add a built in memory manager. For things that have the potential to crash a server, we wouldn't want something like that to brick our phones, right? Simply have a trigger that trips if the memory being used exceeds a certain amount.
  • Add the ability to input/output redstone signals, which can be displayed on a status indicator.
    • Due to memory limitations, rednet and multiple terminals may not be a good idea. Not everyone has a superphone.
  • Support for the HTTP API already existing in ComputerCraft. That way, you don't have to copy/paste your huge code into your phone, or to a notepad. Upload and download your scripts!
I hope this can be made a reality, because it would be VERY cool. Again, though, I have no idea how this all works on the PC(pixie dust?), but being one of those who can't code/script on the go really makes me want this utility.

#2 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

Cranium, on 18 October 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

[list=1]
Due to memory limitations, rednet and multiple terminals may not be a good idea. Not everyone has a superphone.
So? Make it an option for those who do. If your phone can't handle it, don't add multiple terminals and don't use rednet.

#3 lieudusty

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:02 AM

This is a nice idea! I would love to code in CC on my phone while I'm bored on the car and have nothing to do :P/>

#4 chiloxsan

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationVictoria, AUS

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

I don't know if you'll be able to get it past Apple's approval process. They're pretty strict about running user code (emulator or not) on their devices.

#5 matejdro

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

So you basically want CC emulator on phones?

I don't think that memory is the issue. Most smartphones today have at least 512 MB of RAM, lets say that at least 100 MB is always free for user programs. If you manage to fill up that with lua program, then you are crazy. Also I don't know for iPhone, but there is no way to brick Android phone just by filling its memory.

If you ask me, programming is not for mobile phones unless you use bluetooth keyboard or something like that. Maybe for short programs, but I can't see me writing large programs on phone.

#6 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

chiloxsan, on 19 October 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

I don't know if you'll be able to get it past Apple's approval process. They're pretty strict about running user code (emulator or not) on their devices.

Lua is allowed under app store guidelines - many apps utilise it now, some dedicated to Lua, others games (e.g Angry Birds).

#7 Hackingroelz

Peripheral Designer

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Locationthe Nether(lands)

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Cloudy, on 19 October 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

Lua is allowed under app store guidelines - many apps utilise it now, some dedicated to Lua, others games (e.g Angry Birds).

"They're pretty strict about running user code"
He's talking about code written by users. It is allowed, altough they don't seem to like it that much. (Codea)

#8 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

Hackingroelz, on 19 October 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

Cloudy, on 19 October 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

"They're pretty strict about running user code"
He's talking about code written by users. It is allowed, altough they don't seem to like it that much. (Codea)

What? I know what he was saying - but Lua is allowed, and there are already apps out there which utilise it - which was my point. Even ones which allow user code. For example: https://itunes.apple...d398073834?mt=8

And if they didn't like it, it wouldn't be allowed - this is Apple we're talking about.

#9 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

Isn't there already a CC emulator online somewhere? You can just access the webpage and...hmm, I must be mistaking another online lua interpreter and the CC emulator someone made.

#10 Tiin57

Java Lunatic

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationIndiana, United States

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

I have actually been working to port an old open source version of ccemu to Android. Objective C is not my forte, though. Someone else can deal with Apple.

#11 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

I looked around for some Lua interpreters on the Android, but I didn't find anything that I wouldn't have to hack into my phone. I was just at the least hoping for some tiny support, just to pass the time while riding the bus or on a long flight. Angry Birds is not my cup of tea....

#12 Creeper32605

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:58 AM

ok.. I found this http://www.computerc...ow/page__st__80 emulator, and it runs with love (available for android too)! But I couldn't get further than this: http://imgur.com/WlvQwiz

#13 M4sh3dP0t4t03

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

I have a little bit of experience with developing iOS apps with Xamarin(a cross platform C# framework), but I'm not sure wether it is possible to use Java on iOS.

#14 Engineer

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

M4sh3dP0t4t03, on 20 December 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

I have a little bit of experience with developing iOS apps with Xamarin(a cross platform C# framework), but I'm not sure wether it is possible to use Java on iOS.
You obviously don't need Java, at all. The original Lua compiler is already in c++.. so yeah.. why do you need java again?
Please don't say cc, because you simply cannot use that, like at all.

#15 Symmetryc

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

There is an app called TouchLua for iPhone that I've been using for quite some time, it has indent adjustment (fixes your indentation!), syntax highlighting, code completion, free , and has some built in libraries too.

#16 M4sh3dP0t4t03

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

Engineer, on 20 December 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

You obviously don't need Java, at all. The original Lua compiler is already in c++.. so yeah.. why do you need java again?
Please don't say cc, because you simply cannot use that, like at all.
Yeah, but LuaJ and normal Lua have a few differences, so it would behave different from CC sometimes. I will try it with normal Lua though, but I still have to figure out a couple of things before I can do this.

Edit: btw the original Lua compiler isn't in C++ but in C(although that doesn't really make a difference)

Edited by M4sh3dP0t4t03, 20 December 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#17 Buho

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

What's wrong with opening http://turtle.ryazanez.com/ in your phone's browser? It's pure HTML5 and works great on Chrome (webkit). (I haven't tried on a mobile device.) See this thread for more info.

#18 3dsboy08

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

I don't want to be mean, but I think someone will find a exploit in the app and just use it as a jailbreak tool.

#19 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

What.

#20 H4X0RZ

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

There is an app called SigmaScript for Android.

Edited by Freack100, 30 December 2013 - 04:19 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users