ComputerCraft app [Android]/[iPhone]

96 replies to this topic

#21 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

Ooh, I like this idea.

I'm getting started on it right now although I doubt I'll be able to finish it any time soon :/

#22 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

View PostApemanzilla, on 10 January 2014 - 09:26 PM, said:

Ooh, I like this idea.

I'm getting started on it right now although I doubt I'll be able to finish it any time soon :/
Congrats on necroing a year old thread... Hopefully for a good cause!

#23 Alice

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationBehind you.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

View PostCsstform, on 10 January 2014 - 09:34 PM, said:

View PostApemanzilla, on 10 January 2014 - 09:26 PM, said:

Ooh, I like this idea.

Congrats on necroing a year old thread... Hopefully for a good cause!
Really? A 'last year' joke?
Technically, one year ago would mean 365 days ago.
Should've said 'a thread from last year'

#24 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

*coughs* oops, saw 2012 at the beginning and, uh, disregard my previous post - can't wait to see the product! I'll be glad to test it, just pm me;)

#25 Alice

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationBehind you.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

I would gladly test it...
if I had a phone :I

#26 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

Well, the problem right now is that Apple charges obscene amounts of money to release apps to the App Store... $100 /year for a developer license. I have a free one that doesn't let me release them to the App Store, but I'll try to get it out there anyway ;)

Right now it's just a mobile Lua terminal, with an input bar at the bottom. But hey! It's a start!

#27 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

View PostApemanzilla, on 15 January 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

Well, the problem right now is that Apple charges obscene amounts of money to release apps to the App Store... $100 /year for a developer license. I have a free one that doesn't let me release them to the App Store, but I'll try to get it out there anyway ;)

Right now it's just a mobile Lua terminal, with an input bar at the bottom. But hey! It's a start!
I'll test android, and if you are developing for iOS 4.2.1, I'll test that too. I'm jailbroken so I can install apps without the app store ;)

#28 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

View PostCsstform, on 15 January 2014 - 09:54 PM, said:

and if you are developing for iOS 4.2.1, I'll test that too.
Who would write for such an old OS! I'd understand writing for iOS6, maybe iOS5, but not iOS4!

Edited by theoriginalbit, 15 January 2014 - 10:09 PM.

#29 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

The iPhone 3G is still a fairly common model, and cannot update past it.

#30 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 15 January 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

View PostCsstform, on 15 January 2014 - 09:54 PM, said:

and if you are developing for iOS 4.2.1, I'll test that too.
Who would write for such an old OS! I'd understand writing for iOS6, maybe iOS5, but not iOS4!
Why not? Is there any major coding differences? It's nice to have programs that support older devices. Especially scince apple fails in this regard. Is it because there will be no retina that people don't develop for it anymore, or coding? Because there are a lot of apps that dont need retina.

#31 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:38 AM

View PostCsstform, on 16 January 2014 - 07:25 AM, said:

Why not? Is there any major coding differences? It's nice to have programs that support older devices. Especially scince apple fails in this regard. Is it because there will be no retina that people don't develop for it anymore, or coding? Because there are a lot of apps that dont need retina.
Major coding differences... its the same language but massive API/Library changes... Retina support is not required, due to OS features that 'upgrade' apps for Retina.

#32 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 16 January 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

View PostCsstform, on 16 January 2014 - 07:25 AM, said:

Major coding differences... its the same language but massive API/Library changes... Retina support is not required, due to OS features that 'upgrade' apps for Retina.
Hmm... Either way I'm still pissed at apple. When iOS 7 came out, they let old users download old versions of apps for 4 days. And then they stopped. :(

#33 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

To my understanding, you can still download old app versions - via iOS versions which require them. It's the older versions of iOS they insist on blocking (and those can still technically be downloaded, but for most devices, not installed). One of their mottos seems to be "out with the old and in with the new"... for better or worse.

Most app developers don't seem to share this philosophy. As few have an interest in "locking out" those customers wishing to give them money, 4.x still seems to be supported more often then not.

#34 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

View PostApemanzilla, on 16 January 2014 - 01:18 PM, said:

Calm down, I'm writing it for ios 6. An iPhone 3G should be able to run it fine. Mind you, I'm testing it all in the simulator and on my iPad, but it should work out in the end.

I'm debating how I'll set up the standard CC libraries, especially configurable ones such as the HTTP API. I'll probably have all the options from the config file be in the "Settings" app.

The computer/turtle interface screen, to run commands and add inventory items, will be on the left, a 3-D editor and viewer for the world on the right, and an input bar on the bottom. The onscreen keyboard will probably squish everything, so I'm going to be testing with a Bluetooth keyboard for now.

Calm down, I'm writing it for ios 6. An iPhone 3G should be able to run it fine. Mind you, I'm testing it all in the simulator and on my iPad, but it should work out in the end.

I'm debating how I'll set up the standard CC libraries, especially configurable ones such as the HTTP API. I'll probably have all the options from the config file be in the "Settings" app.

The computer/turtle interface screen, to run commands and add inventory items, will be on the left, a 3-D editor and viewer for the world on the right, and an input bar on the bottom. The onscreen keyboard will probably squish everything, so I'm going to be testing with a Bluetooth keyboard for now.

Edit: If someone could design an app icon and/or a nice UI, I'd appreciate it :)

Edited by Apemanzilla, 16 January 2014 - 01:21 PM.

#35 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

-snipperz-
I can make the icon. Not sure about UI, but I'll play around a bit and see what I get.

View PostBomb Bloke, on 16 January 2014 - 10:25 AM, said:

-clip clip clip-
Unless you are downloading the apps grime somewhere other than the App Store, unfortunately, not to my knowledge. I've tried, but I can't get old apps that I used to download when iOS 4.2 was released.

Edited by Csstform, 16 January 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#36 Bomb Bloke

Hobbyist Coder

• Moderators
  • 7,099 posts
  • LocationTasmania (AU)

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Calm down, I'm writing it for ios 6. An iPhone 3G should be able to run it fine.
Seriously, an iPhone 3G cannot run iOS 6.

View PostCsstform, on 16 January 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

Unless you are downloading the apps grime somewhere other than the App Store, unfortunately, not to my knowledge. I've tried, but I can't get old apps that I used to download when iOS 4.2 was released.
I'm talking about the App Store app. It may be that this is a function only available to old-but-not-that-old iOS versions (it's certainly not available to iTunes) - I don't have anything back on 4.x myself, but my 6.x tablet still does it without issue.

#37 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

I'll have an icaon by the end of this week. I've realized that I cant quite make a UI until you show me where everything is going. Also, should the GUI/icon be iOS 7 optimized? And do I need to get and Android icon/GUI done too? Thx!

#38 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

I sorta like the whole iOS 7 UI style, but for a CC emulator, a Minecraft styled UI would be very cool.

#39 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 22 January 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

I sorta like the whole iOS 7 UI style, but for a CC emulator, a Minecraft styled UI would be very cool.
What if i did a mix... how would that work?

#40 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

You could do Minecraft style buttons and use the iOS UI style for some of it, it might blend well. It would be nice to see a mockup image to fully get the idea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users