189 replies to this topic

#141 Saldor010

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe United States

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:46 PM

View PostLyqyd, on 26 November 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

View PostJiloacom, on 26 November 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

I've seen soooooo many install programs on this forum, that if it finds something unexpected (Like the computer isn't advanced), nope, no error() for it, it just shuts off the computer. So I agree with you on the fact that the Operating System (regardless which one) needs to at least help prevent against those kinds of things. Maybe just having a dialog box saying:

This program wants to use os.shutdown() . Allow it?
Yes : No

That sounds like incredibly poor design, which should probably be corrected on their end. :P

Sad thing is, I've seen about 5 of them that are like that. Maybe more. Fixing it on 1 end, is much easier than fixing it on 5 ends.

#142 GopherAtl

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:33 PM

Last night I decided LyqydOS is a bit starved for native apps, so I whipped up a couple of the basics any decent windowed OS needs: Minesweeper and Calc.

Source links:
Minesweeper
Calc

Both should be pretty self-explanatory in usage. If you want to download manually, make sure to put them in the path somewhere - /usr/bin is recommended.

These are also available through packman, just run "packman install calc" or "packman install minesweeper" on your computer running LyqydOS.

You may have to do a "packman fetch" first to update your package index, I'm not sure when/if it updates the index automatically.

screenshots:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Minesweeper requires an advanced computer by design, because playing minesweeper without a mouse would just not be fun.

Calc requires an advanced computer because ... well, I forgot to support basics fully. I'll work on an updated version with proper support for basic computers later, though I may end up just disabling the advanced (Expanded) mode on basic computers since input will, again, be slightly annoying, while the basic 4-function mode all corresponds well enough to basic key input (you can press 's' for ms, 'r' for mr, 'a' for m+, and '_' for +/-, and the rest should be obvious)

Edited by GopherAtl, 22 February 2015 - 09:40 PM.

#143 tenshae

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:38 AM

View PostGopherAtl, on 22 February 2015 - 09:33 PM, said:

--snip--

I can't tell whether or not this counts as necroing...

#144 GopherAtl

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:44 PM

View Postashnwill, on 24 February 2015 - 04:38 AM, said:

--snip--

Why would it count as necroing? LyqydOS, unlike it's thread, remains active, as you can see from a look at the github repo, and my post, unlike yours, made a substantive contribution to the thread.

Edited by GopherAtl, 24 February 2015 - 12:45 PM.

#145 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:07 PM

View Postashnwill, on 24 February 2015 - 04:38 AM, said:

--snip--

Then report it, don't reply to it. You too, Gopher. :P

Anyway, the calc and minesweeper programs look great! Thanks for the contributions. I think I'll add Calc to the main LyqydOS repository soon, and I'm looking forward to your other project being ready for prime time! :)

#146 GopherAtl

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

View PostLyqyd, on 24 February 2015 - 06:07 PM, said:

Anyway, the calc and minesweeper programs look great! Thanks for the contributions. I think I'll add Calc to the main LyqydOS repository soon, and I'm looking forward to your other project being ready for prime time! :)

I need to fix b&w, and possibly tablet, support on calc before it goes in the main distro, I think.

In other news, you've got a PR waiting for you on github, I ran into an issue with my "other project" where in certain cases process-specific events weren't being handled promptly, found the cause and applied a fix. The "other project" is coming along nicely, though, and may be ready for an initial release tonight.

#147 comp500

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:11 PM

I like the OS! How could I adapt packman (or you could suggest another package manager) to work without LyqydOS

#148 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

Packman works fine without LyqydOS installed, to the best of my knowledge. It want to be installed at /usr/bin/packman, so you'd either want to start it with the whole path each time or add the /usr/bin path to your shell; this should do it, if I recall correctly:

shell.setPath(shell.path()..":/usr/bin")

If you can't get it to work, let me know. The best way to report issues with packman is on its github repo (lyqyd/cc-packman, will link later).

#149 comp500

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:08 PM

View PostLyqyd, on 27 February 2015 - 07:46 PM, said:

Packman works fine without LyqydOS installed, to the best of my knowledge. It want to be installed at /usr/bin/packman, so you'd either want to start it with the whole path each time or add the /usr/bin path to your shell; this should do it, if I recall correctly:

shell.setPath(shell.path()..":/usr/bin")

If you can't get it to work, let me know. The best way to report issues with packman is on its github repo (lyqyd/cc-packman, will link later).
Good! Packman seemed to work in CCEmuRedux. I really like the system you have with package lists etc. Dependency management is what I need for any package manager. I would use grin-get or similar, but dependency management :D ... and I can't be bothered to do any .zip.base64 stuff.

Expect to see some interesting repos/packages coming up soon! I'm probably going to make a small 'layer' OS that just sets up packman and paths.
[offtopic]Also, I like your linux directory standards... a whole lot better than windows! I've spent way too long sometimes trying to get windows paths sorted out, because sometimes they are overridden by some pesky installers/updaters. [/offtopic]

Edit: One other question: How would I add my own repos to the system. Yes I could edit packlist, but that gets overwritten by fetch. I could host my own packlist and change the URL in packman but it would be interesting to add some sort of ppa system, like apt-get uses.

Edited by comp500, 27 February 2015 - 08:38 PM.

#150 GopherAtl

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:29 PM

quickest and easiest way is to go to the packman github repo, make a github account if you don't already have one, and then use the edit button on the repolist file to add your own repo, like I did. The edit will become a pull request, which Lyqyd will accept and merge at some point. It should point to your own packlist file, either on github or pastebin or anywhere else you can get a raw file from a constant url that you can still edit (you'll need a pastebin account, if you don't have one already, to be able to edit a file without changing the url). By using your own repo, you won't have to wait for lyqyd to pull changes to your own packlist before they'll show up.

#151 comp500

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:58 PM

View PostGopherAtl, on 27 February 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

quickest and easiest way is to go to the packman github repo, make a github account if you don't already have one, and then use the edit button on the repolist file to add your own repo, like I did. The edit will become a pull request, which Lyqyd will accept and merge at some point. It should point to your own packlist file, either on github or pastebin or anywhere else you can get a raw file from a constant url that you can still edit (you'll need a pastebin account, if you don't have one already, to be able to edit a file without changing the url). By using your own repo, you won't have to wait for lyqyd to pull changes to your own packlist before they'll show up.
ok, so just submit a pull request with my own repo? awesome!
I know how to use Github/Bitbucket :)

Edited by comp500, 27 February 2015 - 09:59 PM.

#152 comp500

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:24 AM

Yes, I know this is clogging up the LyqydOS forum topic. I could use GH issues but I think this is probably the best place to talk about it!

I had a brainstorm...
Namespaces

There are many apis and OSes on CC that have similar names, so it may be beneficial to add namespaces. Namespaces are 'areas' designated for one user or group, such as Lyqyd, comp500 or Gravlann. They are optional, but can be specified before a package name to prevent conflicts.

One example is:

> packman install compositor
PackMan
Multiple packages have been found:
	Lyqyd:compositor
	Bedrock:compositor
Please specify which package you would like to install.
> packman install Lyqyd:compositor
PackMan
WePackageItForYou (better name pending)

There are lots of great package managers in CC. The problem is that there are either not enough packages for that package manager, or normal people don't know how to use it.

This idea is here to solve the 'not enough packages' problem for packman.

All you have to do, as a script developer, is ask us to add your program/api/script/thing. We'll do all the rest.

Would these ideas be useful and should I start working on them (WPIFY at least, namespaces seems quite complicated).

also, another idea:
type = none
would be useful for OSes or easy install scripts with dependencies
it's used in apt somewhere - I've forgotten what it's called

Edited by comp500, 28 February 2015 - 07:41 AM.

#153 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:21 AM

View Postcomp500, on 28 February 2015 - 07:24 AM, said:

Namespaces

Yeah, this is something I've been meaning to do since I changed to have multiple repositories possible. I finally got around to actually doing so today. The change breaks any existing installations' installed program databases, but should be a one-time problem. You can still use the short name of packages, and they'll be automatically resolved where possible. So `packman install lyqydos` automatically tries to install main/lyqydos, main/framebuffer and main/configuration. Please note that dependency strings will need to be updated in all packlists because of this, for any that aren't simply "none".

WePackageItForYou (better name pending)

There are lots of great package managers in CC. The problem is that there are either not enough packages for that package manager, or normal people don't know how to use it.

This idea is here to solve the 'not enough packages' problem for packman.

All you have to do, as a script developer, is ask us to add your program/api/script/thing. We'll do all the rest.

Would these ideas be useful and should I start working on them (WPIFY at least, namespaces seems quite complicated).

I'm not personally interested in packaging other people's stuff for them, though I'm always happy to help someone learn how to get their stuff set up with packman. I find that simply doing it for them means they won't have the knowledge necessary to keep up on it, which just makes more work on my end! I'm not sure if there are any parts of the package creation process that would benefit from having automation tools, but there may be.

also, another idea:
type = none
would be useful for OSes or easy install scripts with dependencies
it's used in apt somewhere - I've forgotten what it's called

This, I'm not sure about. Metapackages could be useful, I suppose. I'll have to think about this one some more.

#154 comp500

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:26 AM

So the new namespaces are based on which repo it is in? OK, good.

I could do some documentation for packman.

Ah yes, metapackages. I guess it isn't really needed, as OSes would usually have a couple config programs anyway. It's low priority anyway.

#155 comp500

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:41 AM

By the way, the LOS installer could now be a little simpler, as packman now downloads package when running fetch.

#156 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for the reminder! I had made that change locally, but hadn't pushed it to the github repo or updated the pastebin.

#157 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:08 AM

I finally got around to making the settings program actually save the changes someplace so they can be preserved across reboots. The settings are stored in the .config file wherever LyqydOS is installed (/LyqydOS/.config by default). The .config file is also a great place to put any other customizations one might want, as it is simply dofile'd as part of the initialization process. Bearing in mind, of course, that programs that should be started at startup should be placed in the .init file (/LyqydOS/.init by default), in which every line is shell.run, which happens after the .config is executed.

You can add new theme files to /LyqydOS/themes/window or /LyqydOS/themes/desktop, depending on which variety of theme you intend to add. The existing examples should be relatively clear, but for the sake of full documentation, the entries that are a triplet of strings are a character, text color, and background color to draw a decoration with, and the numeric values (such as minPos or maxPos in the window theme tables) are placement instructions.

Please also note that the rnfsd, rnmount, mkvolume and raidmount files have been moved out of the main LyqydOS download and into separate packages which can be fetched via packman. Simply do a packman fetch install <package>, where <package> is lnfs-daemon, lnfs-client or raidtools to install them (after the first one, a simple packman install <package> will suffice). Bear in mind that the lnfs programs do require LyqydNet installed, so you'll need to add lyqydnet to a new line in your /LyqydOS/.init file if you wish to use them.

Other recent changes include some graphical things, such as borderless windows drawing correctly, an update color scheme for the menu API, deferred drawing in windows (a performance booster as well!), and a fix for the mouse_scroll event. I've started work on proper modal window support, but it is not complete yet. The rednet daemon, lrnd, received some updates as well, including better support for some of the more modern rednet features. It should now respond to dns requests correctly. There were also a wide variety of non-obvious fixes and improvements (my favorite kind!), so LyqydOS should be running better than ever. Some of the more recent changes will almost certainly break compatibility with pre-1.6 versions of ComputerCraft, which is regrettable. Hopefully it isn't too broken on those older versions, but I'm not currently maintaining a test environment for the older versions, so I haven't tested it myself.

#158 davidgumazon

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:33 AM

Lyqyd 2015 is this still updating ? i like this OS :lol:

#159 comp500

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:45 AM

the latest version doesn't seem to work in my version of ccemuredux:
process:123:Invalid redirect target

#160 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 07:05 PM

I've updated this to work against the latest version of the CC beta (1.74pr20 as of this writing), and removed some leftover testing code that was causing issues. I've also bumped the version number for LyqydOS in packman, so updating should be as simple as packman fetch update.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users