LyqydOS Beta/Development

189 replies to this topic

#61 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

Nope, it doesn't support priorities or "nice values" or whatnot. It might be a cool feature to have, but I can't see it being really worth it, given that this is an event-driven system. Instead of processor time slots being a precious resource, coroutines spend most of their time idle anyhow. I had thought about tracking the amount of time coroutines had run for, but they run and yield again before any of the time sources we have access to have changed value.

#62 rhysjack7

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

I Like How It's Like Windows Just A Back And White Display

#63 Geforce Fan

• Members
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMissouri, United States, America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe 42B, Life Street, Multiverse, 4th Dimension

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

I found some bugs.
1. If you say no to run the os on startup, the start won't work.
2. If you try to run startup it freezes. (lol, I was trying to run lyquidOS within lyquidOS :3

#64 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

I'll check those two out soon, thanks.

#65 superaxander

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

Lyqyd, on 30 October 2012 - 12:24 AM, said:

I don't think leaving windows of dead processes open would be a good thing overall. There are certain cases (like your example) where it would be nice to see the output after the program ends, but I think that the annoyance of other programs not closing when they should outweighs it. For instance, it would be very annoying to exit the edit program using its internal menu and then also have to close the window manually. It would also be a departure from the way most window managers work, in my experience.

Maybe let people put & or another symbol after the program name and arguments to keep it open. Or maybe a checkbox?

#66 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:38 AM

Could use a quick utility to accomplish it, of course:

pcall(shell.run, table.concat({...}, " "))
os.pullEvent("key")

You'd use that from the run prompt and pass the command you actually wanted to run as arguments. It should run the program you pass it, safely ride out any crashes or errors, then wait for a key press before ending (and therefore closing the window). I can build this in as a program in future versions.

#67 superaxander

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:19 AM

Yeh that's a bit what I was thinking too

#68 deleted

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

Also lyqyd i had a idea maybe if you have a color specific code for advanced computers and non advanced computers:

if not term.isColor() then
  nonColorMode
else
 colorMode()
end
Thats just what i had in mind

#69 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

EthanAG, on 25 May 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

Also lyqyd i had a idea maybe if you have a color specific code for advanced computers and non advanced computers:
if not term.isColor() then
  nonColorMode
else
colorMode()
end
Thats just what i had in mind

There are only two places in LyqydOS that make isColor() checks. Both of them do exactly the same thing:

if process.windowCompositor.target.isColor() then
    pTable.window:setType("standard")
    pTable.window:setDecorations("pretty")
end

:)

#70 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:18 AM

"Pretty" mode is officially rolled out! On advanced computers, LyqydOS will look a bit like the below image. On normal computers, it will continue to use the same text-based window decorations. I'm thinking about adding an option to use the text-based window decorations on the advanced computers as well, for those users who like the simple white-on-black appearance, but want the snazzy mouse-based features.

Spoiler

#71 Dave-ee Jones

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVan Diemen's Land

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:42 AM

Neat. I like it. :)

#72 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:06 AM

I just pushed out an update that refactors a number of things in the code to make it easier to add interesting features down the road. All of the window interactions involving temporary windows (such as the action menu for a window, or the run program dialog box) are now done with a single service that's started when the process manager starts. This means that the system won't eat an extra process ID for every process the user starts.

Also new in this release is the debug utility that superaxander suggested. The usage is simply to prepend "debug " to the command/program you want to try to run. This will hold open the window it runs in until after a key is pressed once the program has stopped running. That allows a developer to view error messages their program throws under LyqydOS.

I've updated the other two screenshots in the original post to reflect the new appearance and features, including a shot of the "ps" program in action. You can see the process ID and the program's path for each running process. Note that not every process has a window (lws, for example) and that the lua window in that shot is minimized.

Most users who have the installer file still should be able to update simply by re-running it, as it will fetch a new copy of the installer before attempting to install.

#73 superaxander

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

Lyqyd, on 30 June 2013 - 01:06 AM, said:

I just pushed out an update that refactors a number of things in the code to make it easier to add interesting features down the road. All of the window interactions involving temporary windows (such as the action menu for a window, or the run program dialog box) are now done with a single service that's started when the process manager starts. This means that the system won't eat an extra process ID for every process the user starts.

Also new in this release is the debug utility that superaxander suggested. The usage is simply to prepend "debug " to the command/program you want to try to run. This will hold open the window it runs in until after a key is pressed once the program has stopped running. That allows a developer to view error messages their program throws under LyqydOS.

I've updated the other two screenshots in the original post to reflect the new appearance and features, including a shot of the "ps" program in action. You can see the process ID and the program's path for each running process. Note that not every process has a window (lws, for example) and that the lua window in that shot is minimized.

Most users who have the installer file still should be able to update simply by re-running it, as it will fetch a new copy of the installer before attempting to install.
Nice! Maybe it'll become even better now!

#74 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:28 AM

I've updated with a minor change behind the scenes. The desktop layer now is its own process, which is automatically started by the process manager. This will allow for more interesting functionality in the future, and will make possibilities such as customizable desktops (perhaps with icons) much easier to implement as a desktop replacement. I don't think I'll be adding that sort of thing to the main download of LyqydOS, but I may look into creating a downloadable alternative that adds those sorts of features, as they do seem to be desired somewhat.

#75 Dave-ee Jones

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationVan Diemen's Land

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:41 PM

Neat. I like it :D
Like how you can have multiple windows and how you can resize, minimize and all that. Nice job.

P.S. Don't worry, I won't steal your ideas or work. Have fun and happy coding.

#76 ratchetgame98

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

Can I just ask what is LyqydOS exactly because it just looks like the original CraftOS she'll with a new gui

#77 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:34 PM

Download it and try it out! It adds a full windowed, multitasking environment. If you use it on an advanced machine, you can drag windows to move or resize them, as well as minimize, maximize and close them. All of the usual programs work in LyqydOS through a little bit of magic, so any programs you've written are compatible. It's also usable on normal machines, and the key commands are listed in the first post.

#78 figgycity50

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

Thanks Lyqyd! But there is 1 problem: Say I open GravityScores Lua IDE, having never opened it before. This happens, and it is to do with default window size: http://prntscr.com/1n5x4q

#79 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hmm, that is unfortunate. Perhaps a maximized start utility would be useful. In that specific case, you are able to resize the window, so if you resize/maximize it, then close the window, the next time it starts, it will use the new position and will draw correctly. I'll look at what the actual error means and see if there's something I need to fix on my end. Thanks!

Edit: Turns out I had incorrectly placed some Y-bounding checks! I fixed that and now luaide seems to start up fine on any resolution. Obviously, since it doesn't handle window_resize events, it doesn't redraw immediately, so it's probably best to relaunch it after the initial resize.

#80 BigTwisty

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

First of all, this is a really neat piece of work! I played around a bit with the event handling, and I like how the individual windows all get all the events whether they are active or not, but the mouse events only go to the window they were clicked in, translated to their location. Very nicely put together, sir.

Couple of things...

1. The "-" button seems to be the default "Crash the OS" button.
2. When you press Enter with nothing typed in the Run Program window, the window goes away but won't come back again.
3. Monitor_touch events still get sent to all open windows. Probably won't be an issue until you support multiple monitors... When might that be?

Again, really nice piece of work here, Lyqyd. I'm duly impressed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users