189 replies to this topic

#21 tommyroyall

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Some ideas:
-Partitioning BIOS or Startup script.
-Disk-boot other operating systems.
-All color with little to no need for terminals (graphical file browser)

#22 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

• Not entirely sure what you mean by this, or how it would be a useful thing.
  • Not entirely sure what you mean by this.
  • Apps designed for LyqydOS are in the pipeline, but all portions of it are planned to have backwards compatibility with non-advanced computers.

#23 Mega1mpact

• New Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

This looks amazing.
I was trying to do the same thing but with colored windows etc.
I'm going to try to add that to tlyqydos.

10/10 would download again

#24 PsychoDuck

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Absolutely amazing!
We don't need useless door programs! We need things like LyqydOS!

#25 Mikeemoo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

Hadn't seen this - awesome work.

#26 PsychoDuck

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

I think I found some glitches.
1. Resizing windows is difficult.
2. It crashes if you open the startup/start program.
3. If stops behaving properly when you type "cd (something)" in the Run Program box.

I also think that you should add a fullscreen mode.

Excellent program btw :)

#27 Tiin57

Java Lunatic

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationIndiana, United States

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Difficulty is a bug? More like a flaw in design, no?

#28 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

View PostLeonardoas26, on 11 December 2012 - 08:47 AM, said:

3. If stops behaving properly when you type "cd (something)" in the Run Program box.

I'm not really sure what you mean by difficult. It's a little quirky right now as far as the window border is concerned, but it's pretty easy for me. Can you provide more details? :-)

Hmm. Are you trying to run the start program from the run program box? If not, I'm not sure what you meant. The start program isn't meant to be used that way, but I'll take a look at making it not break things at least.

What does it do when you run cd from the run program box? I'm guessing it has then changed directory (as would be expected), but "behaving properly" could go either way at that point. Does it do something besides just act like it's set to whatever directory you cd'd to?

#29 PsychoDuck

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostLyqyd, on 11 December 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

View PostLeonardoas26, on 11 December 2012 - 08:47 AM, said:

I'm not really sure what you mean by difficult. It's a little quirky right now as far as the window border is concerned, but it's pretty easy for me. Can you provide more details? :-)

Hmm. Are you trying to run the start program from the run program box? If not, I'm not sure what you meant. The start program isn't meant to be used that way, but I'll take a look at making it not break things at least.

What does it do when you run cd from the run program box? I'm guessing it has then changed directory (as would be expected), but "behaving properly" could go either way at that point. Does it do something besides just act like it's set to whatever directory you cd'd to?

Resizing isn't difficult, but the window borders get stuck in some lines when I try to resize vertically.
When I type cd in the Run Program box, it just stops working. I can type into the Run Program box, but it won't do anything when I press enter. (It probably can't find the programs)
I know these aren't relevant issues, but fixing them would make your OS more stable.

#30 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

Okay, I've fixed the bugs Leonardoas pointed out; the resizing glitch is gone, the cd-command glitch is gone, and I can't get the start program to crash anything. I also fixed a drawing bug that affected edit and any other programs that use cursor X positions <1. The updated version is available through the installer (via the pastebin link in the first post), or directly from my github, as usual.

#31 RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely

• Signature Abuser
  • 249 posts
  • Location/dev/earth1aus5

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

I just looked at the source code... I think I'm gonna have a lie down now..........

#32 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostRunasSudo, on 16 January 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

I just looked at the source code... I think I'm gonna have a lie down now..........

Heh. It takes a fair bit of code to get proper windowing behavior put together!

Side note: I think I figured out what was meant with the "startup/start program" crashing things, so I'll see if that is the problem and fix it if I am correct about what it was.

#33 FuuuAInfiniteLoop(F.A.I.L)

• Banned
  • 435 posts
  • LocationThe left part of this post

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

use pixels instead of text is more intuitive

#34 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

View Posturielsalis, on 17 January 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

uhh, what?

#35 RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely

• Signature Abuser
  • 249 posts
  • Location/dev/earth1aus5

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostLyqyd, on 17 January 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

What's with all that crazy "create a new windowcompositor and then rawset some of its variables to ones I've defined" stuff?
My PoC windowing "OS" (see sig) does that with a fair bit less complexity. I think. Maybe.

#36 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

View Posturielsalis, on 17 January 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

I find the interface to be relatively intuitive as it is. I don't really want to add a whole bunch of code that makes this only usable on advanced computers, so I think I'll stick with the text-based window borders and such for now.

View PostRunasSudo, on 17 January 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

View PostLyqyd, on 17 January 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

What's with all that crazy "create a new windowcompositor and then rawset some of its variables to ones I've defined" stuff?
My PoC windowing "OS" (see sig) does that with a fair bit less complexity. I think. Maybe.

Well, I could probably set those values directly rather than using rawset (I'm used to using rawset from a few versions ago), but those couple of lines there get some of the values into the process API's scope rather than restricting them to procman's scope, so that the window manager/OS/whatnot can be interacted with by other programs--this is what the included "start" program uses to create new windows.

#37 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

LyqydOS has been updated with some slightly better multi-tasking (fixes a couple minor issues), and an optimization in the compositing system that should significantly reduce flicker in games. There are further updates I am working on that finally add a window manipulation API so that programs can set their own window caption, size, position, minimum and maximum size, and a few other things. A feature that's a bit further out is a "fullscreen" mode that games written with LyqydOS support will be able to take advantage of, that sacrifices certain windowing features to gain faster screen manipulation.

#38 BigSHinyToys

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

View PostLyqyd, on 21 January 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

LyqydOS has been updated with some slightly better multi-tasking (fixes a couple minor issues), and an optimization in the compositing system that should significantly reduce flicker in games. There are further updates I am working on that finally add a window manipulation API so that programs can set their own window caption, size, position, minimum and maximum size, and a few other things. A feature that's a bit further out is a "fullscreen" mode that games written with LyqydOS support will be able to take advantage of, that sacrifices certain windowing features to gain faster screen manipulation.

Great job on the optimization it is running much quicker than before very impressive. A windows api will be great as well and will be installed into mouseFB when available.

#39 GravityScore

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationLand of Meh

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

This is really cool. Love it! :D

It did crash on me though :( I opened a shell window, resized the window then tried to download a file off Pastebin. I got the error procman: 399: attempt to index ? (a boolean value).

EDIT: woot this is my 200th post! Coder now :D

#40 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

Okay, I think I know what caused that error and will fix it tonight, as soon as I get home. Not sure how it snuck in there!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users