[OS] XoXOS - Keep your server safe.

38 replies to this topic

#1 XoX

• New Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Before you go off and say "Oh noes another OS" !!
This is not supposed to be an OS you download and then run on your computers in single player.
This is what it's about:

I as a (tekkit) server owner am unhappy with the many ways computercraft can be used maliciously.
My solution to this was to restrict computers completely from all users except people I knew were good with lua, but this made many players unhappy who were using computercraft for their password doors etc.
So I had a great idea. Why not let these people use the parts of computercraft they want, with a GUI to make it even easier for them!
This OS was built towards your non-coding simpletons, and towards you, the server owner, to keep your server safe by not letting anyone run their own scripts.

Of course it is still possible for your devs to do everything they want, that is why there is a login system, normal users just hit enter and use the computers with the "Guest" account and all your devs get credentials to sign in with which will let use dev programs built into the OS or simply access the console.

Download:

https://github.com/x...XoXOS/downloads

Instructions:
are in the readme file

Changelog:
1.2 ,
Major changes
- Added DevNet . Chat for Devs
- Added version for turtles, lets users use excavate and tunnel..
Minor changes:
- Added Pastebin support into the UI
- Maybe some bugfixes if I found any, dont remember.

Screenshots:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Old Post:
Spoiler

#2 Cruor

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Why would you keep users from using this epic mod? Limiting one of the best mod in tekkit dosnt make sense D:
Whats the point of computercraft if you cant make your own epicness D:

#3 XoX

• New Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

View PostCruor, on 02 November 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

Why would you keep users from using this epic mod? Limiting one of the best mod in tekkit dosnt make sense D:
Whats the point of computercraft if you cant make your own epicness D:
Because, idiots writing unefficient script can more lag than you can imagine.
Ever since I restricted computercraft my server has stopped crashing pretty much completely.
And I'm not trying to keep the creative people from using the mod, if you know someone is good with lua and won't make stupid mistakes you can give them dev access.
This is only to keep idiots from lagging / crashing your server, intentionally or unintentionally, and you are actually helping them by providing premade version of the scripts they would code crapily.
Noobs can use your epicness and can't ruin your server epicness, and epic users can still create their own epicness.

#4 Leo Verto

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

I agree with Cruor, but I also get your point.
Back to the code, it's generally well organized but you could use more proper indentation and remove a few empty lines.

#5 XoX

• New Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

View PostLeo Verto, on 03 November 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

I agree with Cruor, but I also get your point.
Back to the code, it's generally well organized but you could use more proper indentation and remove a few empty lines.

I don't tab with computercraft cause I'm doing half of it ingame :D/>
and I like empty lines sometimes so I can keep an overview over where what starts and ends.

#6 XoX

• New Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:38 AM

And again, about your point before, if you can say that you trust all of your players not to code inefficient or malicious code, go ahead let them have access to everything, unfortunately I can't so I made this.

#7 Leo Verto

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

Oh I remember, CC 1.33 doesn't include tabbing.

#8 casr144

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

Your login server is very similar to one that I made a few weeks ago :D/>

#9 Sammich Lord

IRC Addict

• Members
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationThe Sammich Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

The hoster of the server I play on has re-written half the BIOS.lua file. He fixed every bug in there and even stopped rednet spamming. So this is pretty much like a password lock without CTRL+T compared to the server I play on.

#10 XoX

• New Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

View PostHuman, on 06 November 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

The hoster of the server I play on has re-written half the BIOS.lua file. He fixed every bug in there and even stopped rednet spamming. So this is pretty much like a password lock without CTRL+T compared to the server I play on.

Not really as this also helps people who have no idea how to code use computers.

#11 Sammich Lord

IRC Addict

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

View PostXoX, on 07 November 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

Not really as this also helps people who have no idea how to code use computers.
You really don't get the point of ComputerCraft, do you? ComputerCraft is about creating awesome stuff by yourself, not just using pre-made scripts. Imagine if the only thing you could do with a computer is play the worm script all day. How much fun would that be? You are restricting the whole point of ComputerCraft, so you might as well just disable it all together,

#12 XoX

• New Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

View PostHuman, on 08 November 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

You really don't get the point of ComputerCraft, do you? ComputerCraft is about creating awesome stuff by yourself, not just using pre-made scripts. Imagine if the only thing you could do with a computer is play the worm script all day. How much fun would that be? You are restricting the whole point of ComputerCraft, so you might as well just disable it all together,

You don't get the point of me not wanting my server to be fucked by idiots who don't know how to code and just do retarded ass crap.
If you knew how to read you would've read that you can give your coders access to everything. This is just to keep idiots from writing idiotic code. And most people on tekkit don't write code they copy other peoples door scripts, so how is that any better than this?
I give people who actually know what they are doing access to everything, Unless you are saying that the whole point of computercraft is to lag my server, I'm not restricting the whole point of computercraft.

#13 Sammich Lord

IRC Addict

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

View PostXoX, on 08 November 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

You don't get the point of me not wanting my server to be fucked by idiots who don't know how to code and just do retarded ass crap.
If you knew how to read you would've read that you can give your coders access to everything. This is just to keep idiots from writing idiotic code. And most people on tekkit don't write code they copy other peoples door scripts, so how is that any better than this?
I give people who actually know what they are doing access to everything, Unless you are saying that the whole point of computercraft is to lag my server, I'm not restricting the whole point of computercraft.
Please, if you plan on this to be used for only Tekkit servers then post it on the Tekkit forums. I do not see any reason why I would join a server, place a computer, and see about 4 shitty programs installed. Would you explain to me how people get "Coder" on your server? I started as a complete nub and couldn't even write a decent password lock, now I can write very complex programs. Your server is restricting people from learning. I know you are going to try to be a smartass and say "Well, they can test stuff in singleplayer and show it to me then they get coder.", but how does this protect your server? I can go on there right now, show you some code, you make me coder then I exploit every bug I know of in CC 1.3 to crash the server(I am not a nice person, if you could not tell by now.). Tell me this, redstone can lag a server bad if you use a lot, and you are not restricting redstone to people who do not know how to use it, are you? Also, how do I not know how to read? Are you just mad because my argument makes more sense then your's? If you do reply to this post, at least put in some effort to make some valid points.

#14 bjornir90

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

I think this is a good idea to protect a server from the first people that come in. And if you find that bad just don't download it, don't join his server and you don't use this OS. And you said that xox restrict the creavity of people but if they want to code somethings in multiplayer they just have to leave this server and join an other.

#15 bjornir90

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

And sorry for my bad english i'm french ...

#16 Sammich Lord

IRC Addict

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

View Postbjornir90, on 09 November 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

I think this is a good idea to protect a server from the first people that come in. And if you find that bad just don't download it, don't join his server and you don't use this OS. And you said that xox restrict the creavity of people but if they want to code somethings in multiplayer they just have to leave this server and join an other.
Please, just read my post over again. I am simply stating the fact that he is restricting users. The point is not to join another server and code there, the point is that he is restricting users. He is making his software mote strict then Russia. For instance, Lochie's modified BIOS file restricts editing globals, stops rednet spam, and mostly stops server crashing, however this piece of software is completely restricting users from making their own scripts, unless he gives them access. I do not think any owner in their right mind would ever use this software on their server.

#17 XoX

• New Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

View PostHuman, on 09 November 2012 - 06:35 AM, said:

View PostXoX, on 08 November 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

Please, if you plan on this to be used for only Tekkit servers then post it on the Tekkit forums. I do not see any reason why I would join a server, place a computer, and see about 4 shitty programs installed. Would you explain to me how people get "Coder" on your server? I started as a complete nub and couldn't even write a decent password lock, now I can write very complex programs. Your server is restricting people from learning. I know you are going to try to be a smartass and say "Well, they can test stuff in singleplayer and show it to me then they get coder.", but how does this protect your server? I can go on there right now, show you some code, you make me coder then I exploit every bug I know of in CC 1.3 to crash the server(I am not a nice person, if you could not tell by now.). Tell me this, redstone can lag a server bad if you use a lot, and you are not restricting redstone to people who do not know how to use it, are you? Also, how do I not know how to read? Are you just mad because my argument makes more sense then your's? If you do reply to this post, at least put in some effort to make some valid points.

Show me a server with that bios, bet you I can still crash it with computercraft.
If someone goes through the process of playing long enough on my server to gain my trust and show me that they can code just to crash it once and get banned then they must be a giant fucking idiot.

Simply put, all I need to do to crash a server is find some cobble, coal, sand and redstone and I can already set up a script so that the server crashes on boot.

#18 Mandrake Fernflower

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationDark Side of The Moon

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

Wow xox really nice language you used there! also what did afterlifelochie do to you? did he steal money from you or somthing? I dont get it

#19 AfterLifeLochie

Wiki Oracle

• Moderators
  • 480 posts
  • LocationAfterLifeLochie's "Dungeon", Australia

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

For clarification's sake (and before things get out of hand):
  • Yes, I wrote a BIOS to close a lot of significant security problems, which I have released publicly (especially for 1.41Bukkit servers);
  • No, I didn't have any input to anyone who has commented here. Human knew about the BIOS mods I've made through CCNet (for which I wrote the mods to the BIOS specifically); the public through the release last night.
  • Going short of modifying the entire BIOS like I have, this is the other alternative; a secure work environment for users. I haven't yet had a chance to look through the code myself, but from what I've seen, it does the job nicely.
  • I'm not a moderator; but, before this thread derails or someone (or a server, etc) gets broken, defaced or completely total'ed, I suggest we cease this "debate" (?) about which solution/product is and/or isn't better; I'm not interested in any form of competition at all. If you have any problems, PM me.

#20 Orwell

Self-Destructive

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

I believe that this is an unfair reaction (not AfterlifeLochie's who just posted). XoX made a script that seems to work just fine. Then he gets pushed in a corner by Human because of a simple matter of opinion. His script isn't bad or useless. If you think this is bad for a server, then don't use it. You can't blame him for publishing a program he believes is useful (I can see the use as well btw). He gets pushed in a corner (never offended AfterlifeLochie at all IMO) and reacts a bit badly. Wouldn't you? Semantics aren't important here. It's a decent program, if you don't like it, let it be. I'll be the first to criticize either of you.

Let this thread go about the code, not about whether it's ethical to use it...

I just looked at the code, I believe it's quite decent. : )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users