GopherAtl's misc. videos - Charcoal factory, Elevator

turtle media utility

17 replies to this topic

#1 GopherAtl

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

:edit: rather than start a new thread, repurposing this one to share another video, this one gives a general tour of the server where I built the charcoal factory, mainly showing the tower with it's elevator, which is built using CC computers, railcraft's elevator rails, and the lan cables from CCLan.

Elevator + general tour

code+design by me, with some debugging assistance from Lyqyd

The automated tree farm:
Code by me, design by me & Lyqyd. Credit for pushing me not to be lazy and to run with the silent movie idea goes to Cruor.

#2 Leo Verto

• Members
  • 620 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

Really good concept, I like the silent movie style a lot, probably better than voice.

#3 GopherAtl

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Well, the format did force me to be brief, which doesn't come naturally to me XD

#4 sjele

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on the planet called earth

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:32 AM

Cool :unsure:/> Love the way you put the text in there ^_^/>

#5 Cruor

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

:unsure:/> i love it <3

#6 bbqroast

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

That's awesome. I normally just skip silent movies, especially for complex things like this. But this is far better than most videos I watch (I bet Direwolf can't get that much content into 2 minutes 40).

#7 GopherAtl

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

heh. To be fair to dire, if you watch most of my normal, non-silent, videos, brevity isn't really my strong suit either. Fitting to the length of the song and typing the explanations on cards was probably a good exercise for me, I had no choice but to be brief and not ramble, heheh

#8 Expenox

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationIn the depths of my computer.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Awesome! I want to make something like this from scratch just, for the fun and knowing I can enjoy it because I made it, but this idea. I love it!

#9 rhyleymaster

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

Very nice!

#10 Matt21

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Locationforum.getUserPos("Matt21")

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

Nice!
Source code :3 ?

#11 GopherAtl

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:26 AM

source is linked in the video description on youtube, which you can view under "more info" in the embedded video. Pastebin here

#12 dissy

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:38 AM

Very nice setup!

I wanted to share a Pro Tip

You mention using Burch to avoid "branchy" trees. It's possible to control normal trees to keep them from doing that too.
Put a floating block up 7-8 spaces above where the tree will grow. It will prevent the tree top from going above that point.
This is measuring up to the top leaf block(s), not the top of the trunk.

When using this method and bonemeal, I've noticed every once in awhile right-clicking with the bone meal will do nothing. This is when the tree normally would have been a huge brancy one, but it didn't have room to grow. In survival it's not a problem, and doesn't use up a bone meal either, but for automations it might need taken into account.

#13 GopherAtl

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:49 AM

Thanks; I was actually aware of the height blocking method, but using birch eliminates the need for it while avoiding the sometimes-growth-fails issue, which occurrs with natural growth as well as forced growth with bonemeal and which would, however marginally, reduce the speed of regrowth. Birch trees also seem to just grow faster than other trees, and since it's just being cooked to charcoal, the type of wood is irrelevant. If I were to set up more tree farms to yield the wood itself, I would certainly use the blocking method you suggest to simplify automated harvesting, though!

#14 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

I wonder if, if you gave him a furnace block, he could compare the furnace to his furnace block on resuming from a chunk unload to see whether the furnace was burning or not, since I believe lit and unlit furnaces are different block IDs. This might better inform him as to which stage of the process he was in without needing to save data during the countdown timer.

#15 GopherAtl

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

hmm. An interesting thought, tho I wasn't really planning on worrying about the timer at all. When I make him resume on startup, it will mainly be concerned with identifying if he was interrupted while harvesting, and at what point, so he can continue harvesting and make it back to the starting position. If he resumes in the cave, I figured he would just wait half the usual time and then go, or possibly go immediately without waiting at all. He's providing plenty of charcoal for himself, and I've already tweaked him to burn excess saplings rather than store them to the chest as well, so the "waste" of fuel involved isn't really a big concern.

Hmm. On further thought, I guess running immediately could result in him running a lot if the players are moving around at the limit of chunkloading range, so he gets unloaded and reloaded a lot. Don't see any problem with just using half the timer, or possibly saving the timer count just once per minute or something like that. Given the variable amount of wood being cooked each time, the furnace doesn't seem like too reliable an indicator anyway; if I include a furnace, it'll more likely be to compare and confirm he has returned to the right starting spot!

#16 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

I would say that's an equally valid reason for adding the furnace to the inventory. Half of the usual timer is probably a reasonable compromise.

#17 spyman68

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:00 AM

I can tell you 'love' (sarcastically) talking xD

#18 PixelToast

• Signature Abuser
  • 2,265 posts
  • Location3232235883

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:59 AM

my friend insists on crappy steves carts for automating tree farming, mostly because i am way better at cc than him so he avoids it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users