Jump to content




INPUT NEEDED - Spam



151 replies to this topic

#141 GoldTrousers

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

So are new accounts now allowed to post threads? I signed up to ask a question on the 'ask a pro' but it says I "cant start a new topic" Sorry if this is a strange place to post this question, but all I can do is make comments on threads.

#142 theoriginalbit

    Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

  • Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

 GoldTrousers, on 05 February 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

So are new accounts now allowed to post threads? I signed up to ask a question on the 'ask a pro' but it says I "cant start a new topic" Sorry if this is a strange place to post this question, but all I can do is make comments on threads.
Good to see that people read forum stickies, especially when they are in the section that you want to post in, here is one sticky (http://www.computerc...rum-guidelines/) read the bold bit. Then here is a second sticky (http://www.computerc...ns-please-read/) which is also helpful for you. Both of these stickies are in the very section you wanted to post.

#143 GoldTrousers

  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

 TheOriginalBIT, on 05 February 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:


Good to see that people read forum stickies, especially when they are in the section that you want to post in, here is one sticky (http://www.computerc...rum-guidelines/) read the bold bit. Then here is a second sticky (http://www.computerc...ns-please-read/) which is also helpful for you. Both of these stickies are in the very section you wanted to post.
I must be blind. I don't know how I missed those. I scanned through the stickies and I must have missed it. Thanks.

#144 ArmchairArmada

  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Warning: The following will be entirely off-topic.

I cannot start any new topics anywhere on the forum and I don't know why (hence, why I didn't start a topic to get help with this.) Every forum category says, "You cannot start a new topic" at the top. If it helps, I reset my password about a week ago then noticed this problem. I thought maybe I had to just wait it out, but I guess not.

#145 Cranium

    Ninja Scripter

  • Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

 ArmchairArmada, on 19 February 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

Warning: The following will be entirely off-topic.

I cannot start any new topics anywhere on the forum and I don't know why (hence, why I didn't start a topic to get help with this.) Every forum category says, "You cannot start a new topic" at the top. If it helps, I reset my password about a week ago then noticed this problem. I thought maybe I had to just wait it out, but I guess not.
Did you not read the several posts above yours? They are the exact same question.

#146 Skullblade

  • Members
  • 470 posts
  • LocationThe Big Apple, NY

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:20 AM

 Cranium, on 20 February 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

 ArmchairArmada, on 19 February 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

Warning: The following will be entirely off-topic.

I cannot start any new topics anywhere on the forum and I don't know why (hence, why I didn't start a topic to get help with this.) Every forum category says, "You cannot start a new topic" at the top. If it helps, I reset my password about a week ago then noticed this problem. I thought maybe I had to just wait it out, but I guess not.
Did you not read the several posts above yours? They are the exact same question.
Cranium he has 8 posts though...he should be able to

#147 Lyqyd

    Lua Liquidator

  • Moderators
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

 ArmchairArmada, on 19 February 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

Warning: The following will be entirely off-topic.

I cannot start any new topics anywhere on the forum and I don't know why (hence, why I didn't start a topic to get help with this.) Every forum category says, "You cannot start a new topic" at the top. If it helps, I reset my password about a week ago then noticed this problem. I thought maybe I had to just wait it out, but I guess not.

You appear to be in the correct group. Try clearing your cache. If you are still unable to post new topics, please let us know so that an administrator can review your account.

#148 ArmchairArmada

  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

 Cranium, on 20 February 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

 ArmchairArmada, on 19 February 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:


Warning: The following will be entirely off-topic.

I cannot start any new topics anywhere on the forum and I don't know why (hence, why I didn't start a topic to get help with this.) Every forum category says, "You cannot start a new topic" at the top. If it helps, I reset my password about a week ago then noticed this problem. I thought maybe I had to just wait it out, but I guess not.
Did you not read the several posts above yours? They are the exact same question.

Ha! No, actually. I was so frustrated by not being able to figure this out that I just selected the first topic I saw and posted my problem. The thing is, I was able to start a few new threads when I first signed up, so I didn't know why I couldn't any more.

I now see that the Start New Topic button is available. Thanks, whoever might have corrected this.

#149 shiphorns

  • Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

 Skullblade, on 01 February 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

I like that idea but if this is a individual intentional attack then it will only be a little until the "attacker" realizes the new restriction and always types "hello"

As I noted in another thread here, on my most heavily-trafficked forum, I still use the CAPTCHA as spambot bait in the way I described above, but the instructions to humans aren't as simple as typing "hello" or the answer to "2+2=?", but rather I ask a trivia question that is themed to the site. The criteria for the trivia question are simple: it has to be easy for someone to answer if they have real interest in the topic that the forum discusses, but difficult to answer (even with Googling) for someone unfamiliar with the topic of the site. For example, on this site, you might ask "You craft a monitor from stone and a:" where you accept "glass pane" as the answer. Easy for anyone here to answer, but time consuming for some spammer from a foreign country who knows nothing about minecraft or computercraft to answer.

But... human forum spammers are rare and infrequent enough to be dealt with just like any other problem member. Spambots are responsible for most of the high volume of spam attacks to sites running popular forum and blog software.

#150 ben132

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

--Fail-- Glanced Up Ignore

#151 theoriginalbit

    Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

  • Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

 ben132, on 22 March 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

I am really sorry to post here. But I cannot start any topics in an of the sub-forums
P.S. I know this is in the wrong place but there is nothing that I can do.

 TheOriginalBIT, on 05 February 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

Good to see that people read forum stickies, especially when they are in the section that you want to post in, here is one sticky (http://www.computerc...rum-guidelines/) read the bold bit. Then here is a second sticky (http://www.computerc...ns-please-read/) which is also helpful for you. Both of these stickies are in the very section you wanted to post.


#152 Cranium

    Ninja Scripter

  • Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

 ben132, on 22 March 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

I am really sorry to post here. But I cannot start any topics in an of the sub-forums
P.S. I know this is in the wrong place but there is nothing that I can do.
Did you not read the Forum Guidelines, where there is a HUGE BOLD ANNOUNCEMENT? Regardless, this marks your fourth post, so you are able to make topics now.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users