How to install a new API or program

12 replies to this topic

#1 ironsmith123

• New Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

I just want to know how to install an API and/or a program. I want to use the magicTurtle code and the doublelock program but I don't know how to install them or where to install it. Do I install it on my server or client or both? Please help.....Thanks.

Sincerely,
ironsmith123

#2 Liraal

• New Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

simplest way: insert the API to server/mods/computercraft/rom/apis/turtle and programs to server/mods/computercraft/rom/apis/programs. That way everybody on the server can use them, and you can still copy them to your local terminal.

#3 ironsmith123

• New Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

But HOW do i copy them? How do I know if the code should be an API or a program? I want to go get a program that allows you to control the pening of doors via a password put into the computer. But I dont know how lol. I am so confused its not even funny.....

#4 Liraal

• New Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

okay, lets sort this out:
-most codes are programs (unless specified otherwise)
-if you have correctly inserted the files to /rom folder, you can find them in-game by typing 'list rom/apis' or 'list /rom/programs'
-if you have found them, you can copy them to your local computer's root, like this: 'copy rom/apis/rednet rednet' (first param is the origin, second destination)
That's about it.

#5 ironsmith123

• New Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

Okay, so I put your program in the turtle folder of my mods/ComputerCraft/lua/rom/apis/turtle or whatever and it doesnt show up on the list....Thanks for all your help btw

#6 nateracecar5

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:31 AM

I am confused. Everytime I put my api into ANY folder in the rom it breaks ALL computers. They aren't even usable anymore. I need to know why?

#7 coaster3000

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey USA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

That is the same exact problem I am currently having... Any fixes?

#8 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Does the api work when loaded from the root directory of a particular computer? What is the name? What do the broken computers actually do?

It's very easy to install something in the rom and make all your computers not work. So that's not enough information to know what is wrong.

#9 remiX

• Members
  • 2,076 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

If it breaks the computers, then there's errors in the API?

Post the code in the api and we can see if there are any problems

#10 coaster3000

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

The problem should not be a bad API because i can load it manually if i installit on a single computer.

I will get you code when I get home. I am on my phone.

#11 remiX

• Members
  • 2,076 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

So it works on a single computer when you use os.loadAPI("apiname")
Does it not error when you load it?

Hmm.. that makes no sense :P

Are you putting just the file in the apis folder you within a subfolder?

#12 coaster3000

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

You guys are the experts not me.. I have tried dropping the api file in the zip folder of mod with it in the apis folder.
I tried recreating file structure..

I tried extracting archive Making sure to rename the folder to ComputerCraft. I even tried renaming to computercraft.

I will try searching for more solutions. I will try installing one api at a time too. Instead of all of them.

#13 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

api names and the paths your using might be helpful to know. Also, the exact behavior of the broken computers could tell us something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users