Help with installing Forge on server?

help

15 replies to this topic

#1 CastleMan2000

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationThe trashcan where all Undertale trash is

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

This may not be the appropriate forum, but how do I install Forge on my server? I have tried unzipping, copying the files into it, then rezipping and renaming, but then my start.command says "Corrupted or invalid server jar" and quits. Any help?

#2 OmegaVest

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

Yeah, definitely go to the minecraft forge forums for this, here.

But, from their wiki

Install Forge

Open your minecraft(_server).jar, open the universal zip, and drop the contents of the zip into minecraft.jar. Make sure you delete the META-INF folder in the minecraft.jar (DO NOT DO THIS ON SERVER) or your game will freeze at the "done loading" screen.*
If using a mod manager, place the forge zip under the jarmods section.
Vanilla Server

Thanks to the work of cpw, now Forge can be installed without modifying the server jar! THIS ONLY WORKS FOR BUILD 315 AND ABOVE!!!
Place the universal zip into the same folder where your minecraft_server.jar is, then change the extension of the forge zip to a .jar. Run it.
Optionally, you may use java -jar whateveryounamedtheforgezip.zip in a command prompt.

Otherwise, no idea. But, seriously, that site would probably be better for it.

#3 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

What was that about renaming? I think that if you renamed the minecraft.jar then that wouldn't work.

#4 CastleMan2000

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:46 AM

View PostChunLing, on 06 December 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

What was that about renaming? I think that if you renamed the minecraft.jar then that wouldn't work.

No, it works. I unzip, do whatever, rezip, rename to jar so it recognizes it. It still works.

I have tried both of the methods from the wiki, and both of them still return "Corrupt or invalid jar" and closes the Terminal window.

#5 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:28 AM

Did you delete META_INF from the server jar? Don't do that.

#6 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:41 AM

I'm still concerned about this business with renaming the jar. With 7zip, you should be able to open it and change stuff without extracting/rezipping/renaming. You say it "works" but it obviously doesn't or you wouldn't be here. You end up with an archive that has been renamed to jar, but does the jar run anymore?

#7 Tiin57

Java Lunatic

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationIndiana, United States

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

I believe you can just install forge by renaming the forge file to forge.jar and running it with minecraft_server.jar in the same directory.

#8 BigSHinyToys

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

Some times with 7zip I have had to open the metainf and delete its continence before 7zip will let me delete the folder.

#9 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

View PostBigSHinyToys, on 08 December 2012 - 05:52 AM, said:

Some times with 7zip I have had to open the metainf and delete its continence before 7zip will let me delete the folder.

This is for the server jar. You are not supposed to delete META_INF from the server jar.

#10 BigSHinyToys

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

View PostLyqyd, on 08 December 2012 - 06:36 AM, said:

View PostBigSHinyToys, on 08 December 2012 - 05:52 AM, said:

This is for the server jar. You are not supposed to delete META_INF from the server jar.
And that is why you need to read the full post and not skim before replying.

Sorry won't happen again.

#11 CastleMan2000

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

I'm on a mac, and I do not have 7Zip. I was talking about my SP jar; I could use Archive Utility to unpack it, put in something like forge or whatever, and then recompress and rename to .jar. Works perfectly, runs Minecraft. Running the forge as a jar didn't seem to work.

#12 OmegaVest

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

Ah, in this case, you actually need to do something else. Archive Utility does not pack JARs correctly, mostly because they actually can't. You're just renaming a zip file to a zip file with a different name.

Go into terminal, and do this, changing the addresses to match where they are on your machine:
Spoiler

Then when you have build mctmp to what you want it to be, repack it like so:

Spoiler

And, without judgement, I'm betting you never had to actually mod your JARs before. This is exactly how it used to be done, before forge and the mod folder and all that.

#13 CastleMan2000

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

Ok. I'll try it, thanks. When I was in alpha, however, that was how I did it. With things like PokéMobs and stuff. I have never modified a server before, aside from Bukkit.

EDIT: The second step didn't work. It said that 'u' needed a 'manifest'.

#14 OmegaVest

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:41 AM

... That sounds like you dumped the Meta-Inf again.

#15 Tiin57

Java Lunatic

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationIndiana, United States

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:57 AM

You did jar -uf <blah>, right?

#16 CastleMan2000

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

@tiin: Yes.

@OmegaVest: 'Dump' as in delete? I'm not suposed to, right? I haven't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users