MLG Mining: Circular Branch Mining

358 replies to this topic

#321 Draaven

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

Anyone else find that if they're running a few Turtles in the same area and they meet face to face, they don't actually do anything else to get past each other. They just stay there out staring each other. The initial description of the program made out that they could handle other Turtles, but I find it an issue if I run more than 1 in the same area. Anyone got a fix for this? I've also modified the startup so that it sends the turtles location back to a central computer so that I can find lost turtles, via a GPS network.

#322 aex243

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

how i can deal whit server restart ?

#323 Draaven

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

For server restarts and not knowing where your Turtles are, I have a computer back at my base that sends out a broadcast with a specific message in a loop. It then waits for a response back from any turtle and displays the message received. The turtles have a modified Startup program that looks for that broadcast constantly in a loop, when it receives the broadcast, it sends back a message to the computer with it's coordinates and then stops running any program. I have a GPS network setup so I can use gps.locate(). I can then go and fetch the turtle and set it going again using the -skip? arguments.

#324 GalaxyMaster

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Seems good, will try this. But one question: How does the turtle see the ores that are in the middle of the three layers between shafts?

#325 aex243

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

I want to know if is possible after a server restart , say to the turtle to continue his job

#326 Second_Fry

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Just noticed turtle stack in forever loop trying to mine cobblestone which is being generated by lava and water. Maybe point that you probably should put cobble to avoid?
Also (didn't check yet) but what would happen if miner will get to the dungeon? AFAIK if it will break chest loot will be on the ground and that is probably sad...

#327 shanewilks

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:03 AM

will this work with tekkit classic? I have run it on tekkit lite and it is amazing, but i ahve all of the same files over on my tekkit classic save and it will not work. It says

api_turtleExt:301: attempt to call nil

Would appreciate some help

#328 TotalBrokenPickaxe

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

Loving these programs and would like for there to be an easy way to startup turtles rather than to have to manually do it. Can I do it with Floppy Drives and if so how? I just started with computercraft and have started messing around with lua and have learned a bit of it. I also am getting problems with my turtles. Sometimes they will go whereever they want to. Usually two or three start working and one will just disappear to somewhere else. I also had a problem where all of my turtles stopped. I right clicked on the turtle to see what happened and it said MLG MINING: NO UPDATE

#329 TotalBrokenPickaxe

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

I believe the bug or glitch, whatever you may call it, happened because it went out of the chunks that were kept loaded. Now keep in mind that I did have a chunk loader, but, a chunk is only 16 blocks long, not very far at all. You have to keep placing more and more chunk loaders because a chunk loader covers 48(9 chunks) blocks in any given direction. This is not caused by your programming it is caused by you leaving the chunk.

#330 airtonix

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Installed mlg via pastebin (would be good if you could use github to allow others to collaborate on this)
  • placed chest underneath for drop offs
  • placed chest to the right for torches, then filled with torches
  • placed turtle ontop of dropoff chest
  • ran : digAndExcavate -noFuel -torches -numIgnore 0
it started on the first main branche, created 3 tunnels on either side of that main tunnel, then proceeded to go crazy digging a vertical shaft all the way to the surface (almost dug right through one of my 3x3 piston doors).

Last time (a few months ago) I used this, it didn't behave like this.

#331 cmray

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

Hello, I am trying to do this in a single player world and am using the pasetbin link to download the program onto the turtle. The program will download just fine but every time I try to execute a command such as -digTunnels -numS 8 -numL 2 -oneChest it will come out with this error:

api_turtleExt: 329 : attempt to compare number with string expected, got number

I do not know how to code or to check the problem so could someone please assist me?

#332 Horseband

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

airtonix, on 01 July 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

Installed mlg via pastebin (would be good if you could use github to allow others to collaborate on this)
  • placed chest underneath for drop offs
  • placed chest to the right for torches, then filled with torches
  • placed turtle ontop of dropoff chest
  • ran : digAndExcavate -noFuel -torches -numIgnore 0
it started on the first main branche, created 3 tunnels on either side of that main tunnel, then proceeded to go crazy digging a vertical shaft all the way to the surface (almost dug right through one of my 3x3 piston doors).

Last time (a few months ago) I used this, it didn't behave like this.

It's behaving exactly as you told it to. Think about it, how exactly is the turtle to know what you want it to excavate. There's no database of every single ore ever put into a mod. So instead of having a list of what TO mine, it has a list of what NOT to mine. This is what the ignore list is for. By telling him not to ignore any blocks, you essentially said, "I want you to gobble up every single block you see", which happens to be cobblestone in this case.

The ignore really isn't "optional". I'd recommend having sand, stone, cobblestone, gravel, and dirt. This way once it gets to the excavate phase, it's not going to go crazy and munch every block it sees.

@CMRay

You shouldn't type "-" before the program name. It should be, "digTunnels -numS 8 -numL 2 -oneChest".

#333 jakemg

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

very nice program

#334 zanskrila

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

I recently used this alot, and it is VERY effective and decently fast!

#335 tigar

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

you know a way for it to recover from a server restart is to have a 2nd file called location(or anything like that) where every step it takes it writes down where it moved to

so the moment you run the normal program the turtle is at 0,0,0 it moves forward once it writes that its at 1,0,0(or which ever direction it went) so say its at 87(forward),0(down/up),12(left right) and the server crashes the moment it comes up the turtle reads the location file and can thus for go on as it knows where it was so all you would have to do is make the turtle write down into that file as well what task its doing and tada no need for gps networks or anything to make the turtle keep going and never get stuck

now that line that it writes down when it moves it gets over written every time it moves and maybe to make sure it doesnt go out of wack you could write a 2nd line that shows the 4 turns it can do so it would look like this 87,0,12,3 standing for 87 blocks forward 0 down 12 to the left(and -12 for right) facing backwards

so that when it comes up it will check for ores in every direction if not itl make its way back up to the tunnel it dug after it faces the right way and continue on its merry way

now maybe after something like that is in you could write a extra script that you could run if you wanted to that would make that turtle tell a computer where it is if its in range thus for you can have more then 1 turtle running and you can look at a screen to see where they are and which one is done
reason for that is if a turtle stores that info in a location file and you made it a wireless turtle a computer could talk to that turtle and request that info every few seconds :)

#336 Etone

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

I quite like this Programm, but after a daily Server restart and the following search for the turtle (sometime in the middle of a huge lava lake) i decided to use another Programm. If you could make it session persistant, it would be by far the best and my first choice

greetings
Etone

#337 Draaven

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

Just setup a FTB Monster server and using this mining script again that I used on FTB Ultimate last year and loved. Only problem was that there are so many blocks you would really like to add to the ignore list and can't due to the limit of the Turtle's inventory that I was finding that the turtle would wander off for miles excavating everything that it could and eventually leave the chunk loaded area or run out of fuel before being able to return, plus it wasn't checking if it was full properly during the excavate routine, so would end up just digging and dropping everything that it found. So I've modified the app_DigOres slightly so that it only wanders off for up to 10 blocks when finding it's initial block that it needs to mine. You can lower this down to 5, works just as well really. So basically it tries to stay in the vicinity of the shafts.

Here's the excavate function with my changes:

function excavate(configuration)
local numSteps = 0
local steps = {}
local goneTooFar = false
repeat
steps[numSteps] = steps[numSteps] or 0
steps[numSteps] = lookForOres(configuration, steps[numSteps])
if steps[numSteps] ~= 7 then
if ((numSteps==0) or (steps[numSteps]~=api_turtleExt.reverseIntDir(steps[numSteps-1]))) then
if numSteps==10 then
goneTooFar=true
end
if goneTooFar==false and api_turtleExt.digAndMove(api_turtleExt.turnedDir(api_turtleExt.intToDir(steps[numSteps]))) == 1 then
configuration.numOres=configuration.numOres+1
numSteps = numSteps + 1
end
end
else
steps[numSteps] = 0
numSteps = numSteps - 1
if numSteps >= 0 then
api_turtleExt.digAndMove(api_turtleExt.reverseDir(api_turtleExt.turnedDir(api_turtleExt.intToDir(steps[numSteps]))), 1, 0)
end
end
until numSteps < 0
end

#338 Turtle_droid

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

Anyone else having issues with the turtle stopping if something gets in its way for instance gravel stacks?

#339 UkeFox

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:12 AM

Turtle_droid, on 15 July 2014 - 09:39 PM, said:

Anyone else having issues with the turtle stopping if something gets in its way for instance gravel stacks?

It has something to do with the attack command. It gave me an error like api_turtleExt: 208 invalid direction. I checked line 208 of the referenced api and tried to fiddle with it... I eventually just removed the tDir variable... it works now but it won't attack things that get in it's way. I believe it has to do with how the arguments for turtle.attack() work with the most current update. I don't know how to fix it

Edited by UkeFox, 27 July 2014 - 04:07 AM.

#340 stellarhopper

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:02 AM

I'm seeing the same problem with a gravel block falling in place of one it dug. The error I got was something like "invalid block".
Another thing I saw was while digging a shaft, if it hits bedrock, it exits with the same error.

Would love a fix!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users