MLG Mining: Circular Branch Mining

358 replies to this topic

#41 SciFiJunkie

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

View PostUlthean, on 17 December 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

View PostSciFiJunkie, on 17 December 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

Ok so far I love how this is working. But I did find a problem. digTunnels worked great. Once I figured out that it was not going to clear out the center part, That is what I get for assuming. But the digShafts I did find a problem. Every time I was having it do its thing and it ran in to gravel it will loose track of its location and finish the shaft short. This would then cause it to be off on the chest and every shaft from there on would only get worse if it ran in to more gravel.

What do you mean when you say 'not clear the center part'?
The center block of the 3x3? With digSidesToo=true? This should be dug aswell, I will look into it and the gravel aswell, since I assumed both of these to be functional.

Sorry the center part is the 5x5. I did not try the digSidesToo option. Will look at that.

The gravel was falling so every time that it cleared a spot it would pause for a time then continue as if it has actually moved. So from what I can see if it ran in to 3 dropping gravel then it would lose that many off the length of the shaft.

Thanks

#42 fundevin

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Yeah, I seem to have that gravel problem as well. I am totaly willing to wait till tuesday though because this is a great program. Thanks so much!

#43 Ulthean

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

@SciFiJunkie Ah, you mean the center where the chest etc are placed? Yeah, it does not clear that. I thought you meant the turtles themselves

I lowered the time it waits for gravel to settle in the last update, which might be causing this problem.
It seemed to work fine on my computer, but I will check it out and probably end up increasing it back to its original value. (0.5 secs, atm it is 0.3)

#44 Ulthean

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Update released, couldn't wait. Update includes:
  • Small bugfixes (the gravel problem among others)
  • digOres checks the number of exclusion blocks provided by the user
  • Can skip forward to a specific tunnel/shaft
  • Updated the ingame help menu
  • Updated the original post to reflect these changes
ToDo:
  • More cleaning up
  • More testing

#45 OreCruncher

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:34 AM

View PostUlthean, on 17 December 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

ToDo:
  • More cleaning up
  • More testing

Excellent. I will try out later. I did experience two problems yesterday with two of my turtles. I think they occurred once the last shaft in a tunnel was processed. One drilled a single block wide tunnel parallel with the main tunnel and then stopped. The other I found "widening" the last shaft by digging out another layer of rock before I terminated it with extreme prejudice. :) The third one I had was merrily digging up ore and was behaving OK.

#46 Ulthean

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:01 AM

View PostOreCruncher, on 18 December 2012 - 03:34 AM, said:

View PostUlthean, on 17 December 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

ToDo:
  • More cleaning up
  • More testing

Excellent. I will try out later. I did experience two problems yesterday with two of my turtles. I think they occurred once the last shaft in a tunnel was processed. One drilled a single block wide tunnel parallel with the main tunnel and then stopped. The other I found "widening" the last shaft by digging out another layer of rock before I terminated it with extreme prejudice. :) The third one I had was merrily digging up ore and was behaving OK.

This might be due to the gravel issue. I am currently cleaning up the code and encountered some bugs. 'Finished' version should be up in about an hour.

#47 Ulthean

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

Update added, changes include:
  • Cleaned up the code to make it more understandable
  • Testing + removal of bugs
  • Turtle now handles blocked shafts better

#48 tuxhedoh

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

I'm impressed, though torch handling needs to be fixed. At some point it runs out of torches, and starts placing blocks instead.

Additionally if you could provide examples in the initial code that'd be helpful , through trial and error I figured out that the command needed is
digTunnels -l 30 -torches
will dig a tunnel 30 blocks long and place torches.

I think the initial documentation would be more helpful if it actually mentioned it needs a third chest for torches.(is this even true?).

Thanks for the hard work.

#49 Ulthean

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

View Posttuxhedoh, on 18 December 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

I'm impressed, though torch handling needs to be fixed. At some point it runs out of torches, and starts placing blocks instead.

Additionally if you could provide examples in the initial code that'd be helpful , through trial and error I figured out that the command needed is
digTunnels -l 30 -torches
will dig a tunnel 30 blocks long and place torches.

I think the initial documentation would be more helpful if it actually mentioned it needs a third chest for torches.(is this even true?).

Thanks for the hard work.

You are right about the fact that the initial documentation desperatly needs updating. The video itself is already outdated and the images aswell.

About the torches: it is true that you need 3 chests, normally it should restock the torches often enough (from a chest that is positioned behind the turtle by default). Could it be that, because of the lacking documentation, you didn't place a chest with torches behind the turtle and that as such it wasn't able to restock?

#50 OreCruncher

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

I tried the version you had earlier in the AM (not the latest). When I got home the two turtles I had running successfully completed digging out the ore from a x64 sized mine. Pretty cool. I will update to the newest version when I move to the next level. BTW, it would be nice if the turtle could "fill in the pavement" when digging into the current "floor". This may be more of a problem than is worth solving.

#51 fundevin

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Great fix Ulthean! Thanks so much!

#52 tuxhedoh

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:24 AM

About the torches: it is true that you need 3 chests, normally it should restock the torches often enough (from a chest that is positioned behind the turtle by default). Could it be that, because of the lacking documentation, you didn't place a chest with torches behind the turtle and that as such it wasn't able to restock?

So there's a good chance it ran out of torches and started placing the blocks (since it was what was now in slot 1). I will make sure that I have enough torches next time.

My suggestions now:
  • digOres should never attempt to mine bedrock.
  • maybe it would be possible to "map" the initial shafts such that it already knows where the start of the veins are from the begining and it doesn't have to spend the time checking blocks it already knows are not ores.

#53 Ulthean

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

View Posttuxhedoh, on 19 December 2012 - 04:24 AM, said:

So there's a good chance it ran out of torches and started placing the blocks (since it was what was now in slot 1). I will make sure that I have enough torches next time.

My suggestions now:
  • digOres should never attempt to mine bedrock.
  • maybe it would be possible to "map" the initial shafts such that it already knows where the start of the veins are from the begining and it doesn't have to spend the time checking blocks it already knows are not ores.

About the suggestions:
  • The only way to avoid this is by putting a block of bedrock in the 'ignore' slots. Then it will ignore the bedrock blocks instantly.
    Right now when it detects a block it can't mine (a turtle or bedrock for example) it will keep trying for 5 seconds to see if the
    obstruction is still there (turtles might move out of the way).
  • This is possible, though in the long run it wouldn't have any added value, since the 'digShafts' function would take much longer
    and would need the 'ignore' blocks in its inventory. Apart from that I consider them two seperate functions (digging shafts and
    excavating shafts) and I would like to keep them seperated.

#54 Ulthean

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:22 AM

Dear readers,

Two questions I need your opinion on:
  • Would you be interested in an update to the digTunnels/digShafts/digOres functions that allows a single turtle to
    excavate multiple layers in succesion? Or do you (like me) prefer to have an individual turtle for each level.
    (I excavate 16 levels at once, using 16 turtles) If you would like this: what parameters/functionality do you think
    this should have? Parameters I think of are:
    • How many levels
    • Direction (are the other levels above or below this one)
    • Height of each level
    • Odd level shaft offset (you might want the shafts odd levels to be placed 'in between' the shafts of the even layers)
  • Would you be interested in a program that digs the rooms at the center of the 4 tunnels (with the option to do multiple levels at once)

#55 tuxhedoh

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostUlthean, on 19 December 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

Dear readers,

Two questions I need your opinion on:
  • Would you be interested in an update to the digTunnels/digShafts/digOres functions that allows a single turtle to
    excavate multiple layers in succesion? Or do you (like me) prefer to have an individual turtle for each level.
    (I excavate 16 levels at once, using 16 turtles) If you would like this: what parameters/functionality do you think
    this should have? Parameters I think of are:
    • How many levels
    • Direction (are the other levels above or below this one)
    • Height of each level
    • Odd level shaft offset (you might want the shafts odd levels to be placed 'in between' the shafts of the even layers)
This sounds awesome, though the script in it's current iteration is an early game item. 16 turtles... seems a little much!!

• Would you be interested in a program that digs the rooms at the center of the 4 tunnels (with the option to do multiple levels at once)

Yes, Or even an option to dig in the 40+ blocks in one direction to dig the intial hole before if , like me, you'd like to start mining at the bottom of the world instead of the top.... so it would tunnel in 40+ blocks, dig the room at the far end of those blocks that I would then do a digTunnels 40 on.... the initial tunnel would already be started, but it could match up with multiple mining operations horizontally.

#56 OreCruncher

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Actually what I been thinking about is having a turtle dig the mine shaft from the surface creating the necessary rooms and putting in ladders. :) As for multiple turtles, I have been running one turtle on each level, and that is a bit of a pain. I was thinking that it would be better to have 4 turtles on a level, each digging/shafting/excavating a north/south/east/west tunnel. All I would then have to do is worry about one layer, but get it done 4x faster. And what would be really/really/really nice is to log the operation into a file on the turtle "disk" so that when it gets lost I could go to windows and look at the file to see where to find it. I don't think GPS type thing is needed - maybe tunnel/shaft/left|right would be good enough.

#57 SciFiJunkie

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

@Ulthean

Thanks for the update. I have not had time to look over the new code yet will start testing it shortly.

Can skip forward to a specific tunnel/shaft - I assume you mean you can choose which tunnel it will do. Will it only do that one then stop?
What I'm thinking is that if I have 4 turtles and have them all start each program and only do the first tunnel then stop. would make it easier to mine out an area. Also if something happens you can start it from the original point and then have it skip tunnel 1 and 2 and continue on tunnel 3 for instance.

Also based on the video you have a set of chests at each tunnel. If you don't put them at each one will it work?

Thanks for all your work.

SciFiJunkie

#58 Ulthean

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

Tonight = update night! Added features will include:
  • New parameter to allow the turtle will only dig out 1 shaft (have 4 turtles working on one level)
  • New parameter to allow the turtle to digTunnels/digShafts/digOres on multiple levels
  • New program to dig the vertical shaft (basic version, more functionality will be added later)
(I will also answer the questions in the last few posts)

#59 SciFiJunkie

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Hey Ulthean,

Just tried the digOres program with torches. But it when to the first shaft and then dug up about 60 blocks then over 1 block and then back down to bedrock an then had a Java error. I didn't think to write it down but will re run it and then I will. I did try it a second time and it did the same thing.

Thanks,
SciFiJunkie

#60 Azeryuu

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

View PostUlthean, on 21 December 2012 - 06:57 AM, said:

Tonight = update night! Added features will include:
  • New parameter to allow the turtle will only dig out 1 shaft (have 4 turtles working on one level)
  • New parameter to allow the turtle to digTunnels/digShafts/digOres on multiple levels
  • New program to dig the vertical shaft (basic version, more functionality will be added later)
(I will also answer the questions in the last few posts)

About the new program, what options will it have and what options will you add? Can you have an option to place chests/pipes?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users