KreOS 3.01 Skylark - Old traditions newly defined

api utility computer

294 replies to this topic

#81 coryb2007

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

This is a great OS, I just have a couple questions, are there any plans to have a program which has support for printing? And is there anyway to still be able to type like "edit test", so far I see support for printing in that but it would be awesome if it could be added to the text editor.

#82 dmitchell94

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

This has many great features but there are some improvments that it could have. id love to be able to print from the text editor and i would like a easy way to add my own programs to the os! in fact how would i add a program to the os! im trying to add my email program to the drop down list of internet and im getting errors because of adding it! There needs to be some tutorial on how to add a program or a easy way to add one via the os!

EDIT: I see you have Github and a wiki! PLEASE ADD A LINK TO THE WIKI and add some info so people new to the OS can learn how to use it!!!

EDIT 2: I found out how to add a icon and had the path go to my program i added but when i click the icon nothing happens

#83 kornichen

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Hello!

I am working on 2.0 and on the wiki :D
Will be linked very soon !

#84 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

View Postdmitchell94, on 17 January 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

EDIT: I see you have Github and a wiki! PLEASE ADD A LINK TO THE WIKI and add some info so people new to the OS can learn how to use it!!!
Can thank me for that one too :P

#85 dmitchell94

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:25 AM

View Postkornichen, on 18 January 2013 - 01:49 AM, said:

Hello!

I am working on 2.0 and on the wiki :D
Will be linked very soon !

Great once i understand the os more ill be willing to help maintain the wiki! just need a way to learn the os before i try to help others learn it. When do you expect 2.0 to be ready? need and testers?

#86 kornichen

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Version 2.0 release date: 01. Febuary 2013

#87 kornichen

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

Hello!

I've got a problem and maybe someone can help me.

I think it is not possible to create multitasking because with coroutines etc. the system (by the way it is completely rewritten) starts to flicker.
Maybe someone got an idea.

#88 dmitchell94

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

wish i could help im still learning lua let along how to program in computercraft

#89 RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely

• Signature Abuser
  • 249 posts
  • Location/dev/earth1aus5

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

View Postkornichen, on 19 January 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

I think it is not possible to create multitasking because with coroutines etc. the system (by the way it is completely rewritten) starts to flicker.
RaSOS (see signature) does multitasking with coroutines. It only occasionally flickers. Of course, the programs are designed specifically to run on RaSOS and don't really do much processing, but it's implement-able.

#90 BigSHinyToys

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Hello!

depends on how you implement it. if you have a frame buffer table that all term calls are redirected to then any program that is term call heavy will flicker as the computer can't react fast enough to both draw on screen and update the buffer. on the other hand if you enforced that all programs must react to a "redraw" event then you don't have to hold a buffer of every program. it is definitely possible to make programs run in a multi task environment making it run smooth and fast is all about optimization. also every call to term.clear() normally causes a black frame to pop up just overwriting the last frame means there is less obvious shudder.

#91 kornichen

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Thank you for your tipps but if I have seen it right it is not possible to do multitasking with programs that aren't special written for that.

But...

View PostBigSHinyToys, on 19 January 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

Hello!

depends on how you implement it. if you have a frame buffer table that all term calls are redirected to then any program that is term call heavy will flicker as the computer can't react fast enough to both draw on screen and update the buffer. on the other hand if you enforced that all programs must react to a "redraw" event then you don't have to hold a buffer of every program. it is definitely possible to make programs run in a multi task environment making it run smooth and fast is all about optimization. also every call to term.clear() normally causes a black frame to pop up just overwriting the last frame means there is less obvious shudder.

There is maybe a way but I am sorry but I don't know how to do this... :(

#92 RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely

• Signature Abuser
  • 249 posts
  • Location/dev/earth1aus5

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

View Postkornichen, on 19 January 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

Thank you for your tipps but if I have seen it right it is not possible to do multitasking with programs that aren't special written for that.
No, it's definitely possible. The only reason RaSOS can't use normal programs is because it uses a fancy rendering system. If you're just using a normal system, multitasking is very possible. Look up "Taskforce" or "LyqydOS". I'm not they multitask, but I'm fairly sure they do.

#93 kornichen

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

View PostRunasSudo, on 19 January 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

No, it's definitely possible. The only reason RaSOS can't use normal programs is because it uses a fancy rendering system. If you're just using a normal system, multitasking is very possible. Look up "Taskforce" or "LyqydOS". I'm not they multitask, but I'm fairly sure they do.

Hello!

I have tryed it with using Taskforce but there is unfortunately the same problem: it begins to flicker.
But Maybe you can help me :D?

#94 Kron

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I almost flipped when I saw "Korn". I thought you stole my username, lol!

Anyways, pretty cool OS! Different color scheme would be nice though :D

Overall, 9.5/10!

#95 gknova61

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Is this OS abandoned?

#96 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

View Postgknova61, on 23 January 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

Is this OS abandoned?

View Postkornichen, on 18 January 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

Version 2.0 release date: 01. Febuary 2013

#97 Mads

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

How about testing a program before releasing it?

#98 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

View Postkornichen, on 20 January 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

View PostRunasSudo, on 19 January 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

Hello!

I have tryed it with using Taskforce but there is unfortunately the same problem: it begins to flicker.
But Maybe you can help me :D?

Have you checked out LyqydOS? You should see very little if any flickering, and it most certainly multitasks.

#99 xInDiGo

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

what are some example uses of an OS in computercraft? my main interest is in turtles, but i'm sure theres much, much more. please, enlighten me!

#100 BigSHinyToys

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostxInDiGo, on 24 January 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

what are some example uses of an OS in computercraft? my main interest is in turtles, but i'm sure theres much, much more. please, enlighten me!
1) easy manipulation of files and folder with color and mouse orientated.
2) running multiple programs in parallel.
3) easily expandable network.
4) useful applications like npaintpro.

So mainly ease of use and tasking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users