Ethics of 'hacking'

28 replies to this topic

#21 CCGrimHaxor

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

I found a huge flaw in computercraft(java). What the flaw allows you to do is access a second(hidden) terminal through rednet. I am not going to tell anyone how to do it because I know everything will go wrong. And mods/admins you can't fix it because java is responsible.

Why is the exploit useful? To allow the person to secretly run someone else's computercraft computer in your own.

Will you tell me how to do exploit? Never even when it is patched.

Is it fixable? Yes but only by the java community

Are you attemting to fix it? Yes I am working on a program wich blocks and redirects unknown rednet transmission before allowing the second terminal to open.

Are you gonna use it for evil things? Nope.

Are you the only person who knows about this? Yes.

#22 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

I've approved your post only because new accounts can't use the PM system. What versions is this supposed flaw present in? What are the reproduction instructions? I find it rather difficult to believe you without significantly more details. We also can't fix the bug if we can't find it, so the responsible thing to do is to provide all of the pertinent details through the correct channels (i.e., a topic in the Bugs section).

#23 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

View PostGrimHaxor, on 13 May 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

I found a huge flaw in computercraft(java). What the flaw allows you to do is access a second(hidden) terminal through rednet. I am not going to tell anyone how to do it because I know everything will go wrong. And mods/admins you can't fix it because java is responsible.

Why is the exploit useful? To allow the person to secretly run someone else's computercraft computer in your own.

Will you tell me how to do exploit? Never even when it is patched.

Is it fixable? Yes but only by the java community

Are you attemting to fix it? Yes I am working on a program wich blocks and redirects unknown rednet transmission before allowing the second terminal to open.

Are you gonna use it for evil things? Nope.

Are you the only person who knows about this? Yes.
Errrr.... Ummm.... Isn't this just nsh? Because it sounds a lot like nsh...

#24 CCGrimHaxor

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

Ok

View PostLyqyd, on 13 May 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

I've approved your post only because new accounts can't use the PM system. What versions is this supposed flaw present in? What are the reproduction instructions? I find it rather difficult to believe you without significantly more details. We also can't fix the bug if we can't find it, so the responsible thing to do is to provide all of the pertinent details through the correct channels (i.e., a topic in the Bugs section).

The version it is in is: Computercraft 1.53 - latest version I think it is 1.53
Java version: 7
I can't really tell you how to do it I sent the info to Dan200 with email hope he reads it soon.
I sent him:
Instructions + code + computercraft.jar I am using and java info along with some logs.
And I can't post it anywhere in the forums because it uses "melicious code" and you can't even realize what can happen if I post it.

Ask your self what would you do if you had 100% full control over any server anything you want and you will see what would happen.
And nsh what does that mean?

If you wish for more details please pm me and not a thing in the world will get me to tell the code to anyone except dan and admins.

#25 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

Okay, PM me the information and I'll take a look at what you've got.

#26 Geforce Fan

• Members
  • 846 posts
  • LocationMissouri, United States, America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe 42B, Life Street, Multiverse, 4th Dimension

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:56 AM

To release to the public dirty government secrets that are morally wrong and should not be done, but gain no profit off doing so.

#27 cdel

• Banned
  • 496 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

I was up late last night watching several videos on the topic of hacking and I am very interested in starting a team of hackers. This team won't be destructive but more of a learning curve. If you join you will also receive a custom email address e.g - [email protected] If at least two people join this group it will be official and then we can create an official name which we can use for our emails etc. :D :)

if you are legitimate and want to join feel free to private message me or email me at - [email protected]

Edited by Connor Delaneyy, 28 May 2014 - 09:54 AM.

#28 Left4Cake

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

This is a good artical to throw into this debate: http://www.edge-onli...curity-exploit/ A hacker uses an exploit to fix the exploit.

#29 CometWolf

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

View PostLeft4Cake, on 28 May 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

This is a good artical to throw into this debate: http://www.edge-onli...curity-exploit/ A hacker uses an exploit to fix the exploit.
I'd suggest you read the article first, seems like a case of mis-leading headlines to generate more clicks. He didn't actually use the exploit, just found and reported it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users