[1.4] Ethernet/data Cable

8 replies to this topic

#1 bbqroast

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:47 AM

I was hoping that we could see some kind of "data cable" basically it is a cable that can carry strings of X length (64 or 128?) between two computers (for extra browny points multi-line cables (like RP2 bundled wires) would be awesome). This would be great fun and hopefully faster and less laggy than using RP2 bundled cables with binary signals.

As for design either IC2 like cables (which should be easier to code) or RP2 like cables (which are godlike).

bbqr0ast.

NB: I might have missed this but is there config options for wireless range and turtles? I would like to disable turtles and lower the range of wireless on my server (mainly because the turtle would be exploited like no tomorrow and 50 blocks of wireless signal seems a bit much for me).

#2 Casper7526

OG of CC

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:48 AM

You can disable turtles by simply not having mod_ccTurtle, you can modify the wireless ranges in the config.

#3 bbqroast

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for the info.

#4 rdsn

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:01 AM

I second this idea. It would be nice to have a land based communication method that is just as fast as modems but has less drawbacks. (range, effected by storms, connects all rednet enabled computers in range)

#5 bbqroast

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

Oh and great for addons (being able to send a variable over a cable to a computer or other device).

#6 trencher

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

I thought about this too.
In SMP it would make networks more reliable because with a cable-only solution it is harder to attack another players network.
At the moment I am trying to achive it with RP2 but the delay is a pain in the a**.
(and you have to write you own API for conflict free transmission) :D/>

#7 matejdro

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

AFAIK you can use bundled cables instead of modems to transfer signals? Just use rednet.open() on the side of the cable and you are connected.

#8 Sebra

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

View Posttrencher, on 20 August 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

At the moment I am trying to achive it with RP2 but the delay is a pain in the a**.
(and you have to write you own API for conflict free transmission) :D/>
Who tell you hacker's way is easy?

#9 CastleMan2000

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationThe trashcan where all Undertale trash is

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

I like the idea, and maybe we could have regular cable modems so rednet.open() would still control it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users