[1.31] Rightclicking disk drives with a disk

16 replies to this topic

#1 NeoHummel

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

So, I've meticulously trawled the entire suggestions forum and not found anything about this.

What I want is basically the ability that when I right-click the disk drive with either a disk or a record, or just disks whatever, it will be inserted, assuming there is not already an item in the disk drive.

Reason for this is simple, I like anybody who starts with cc and Lua created a Hello World! program and then a door lock.
My door lock program looks for a keycard, a disk with a specific file, sends the keycode from that file to a controller and opens the door if it matches, either way the keycard gets ejected after it has been read.
Now the thing is, I have to open the disk drive GUI, drag my keycard from my inventory and into the disk drive slot, whereupon it immediately pops out and into my inventory (since I am standing infront of the disk drive).

I find this to be quite tedious and would love for this to be implemented.

#2 PatriotBob

• New Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

I while heartedly agree with this suggestion.

The first thing I did after creating my first disk was try to insert it into a drive in this manner. It's clean, concise, and an intuitive change. Shouldn't even be hard to implement.

Btw, I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one to think of key card auth. I makes complex passwords simple to use. And you can always use a dual system of disk and manual entry.

#3 hamish1001

• New Members
  • 75 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

View PostNeoHummel, on 23 March 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

So, I've meticulously trawled the entire suggestions forum and not found anything about this.

What I want is basically the ability that when I right-click the disk drive with either a disk or a record, or just disks whatever, it will be inserted, assuming there is not already an item in the disk drive.

Reason for this is simple, I like anybody who starts with cc and Lua created a Hello World! program and then a door lock.
My door lock program looks for a keycard, a disk with a specific file, sends the keycode from that file to a controller and opens the door if it matches, either way the keycard gets ejected after it has been read.
Now the thing is, I have to open the disk drive GUI, drag my keycard from my inventory and into the disk drive slot, whereupon it immediately pops out and into my inventory (since I am standing infront of the disk drive).

I find this to be quite tedious and would love for this to be implemented.
i agree to :)/>
Spoiler

#4 Espen

Curious Explorer

• Members
  • 708 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:30 AM

I like this idea, too.
It could behave like the vanilla record player, just for disks in this case.
Right click with a disk on the disk drive => disk inserted.
Right click on disk drive that has a disk in it => disk is ejected (just like a record from a record player).

I don't know if Dan has some future plans in mind for the disk drive GUI, but as it is now there's only place for one disk anyway.
So unless there's something important to be said against the idea to let the insert/output mechanism behave like the one from the vanilla record player, I'd definitely support it. :(/>

#5 czp

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

I also like it, but I think that better will be keep the old way and add this to it.

#6 kamnxt

• New Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

Maybe a card reader and cards? When you right click the card reader it would only read the card label, without taking the card out of your hand. :(/>

#7 NeoHummel

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

View Postkamnxt, on 24 March 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

Maybe a card reader and cards? When you right click the card reader it would only read the card label, without taking the card out of your hand. :(/>

I was thinking about something similar, will attempt to make one when I get home from work tonight.

#8 6677

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Not a bad idea although there is the disk.eject() function. You could just have it so once the floppy disk is read it gets ejected in code.

#9 Sebra

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

Easy eject can be programmed.
Easy insert should be coded by Dan200.

#10 kamnxt

• New Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

View Post6677, on 25 March 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

Not a bad idea although there is the disk.eject() function. You could just have it so once the floppy disk is read it gets ejected in code.
So maybe a new function: disk.setFastInsert(true)(?) ?

#11 NeoHummel

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

I've already programmed my code to eject the disk :(/>

View Postkamnxt, on 25 March 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

That would be awesome, then the program defines whether or not the disk should get inserted on right-click, love the idea.

#12 NuBSMcGee

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:40 AM

View Postkamnxt, on 25 March 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

Maybe a card reader and cards? When you right click the card reader it would only read the card label, without taking the card out of your hand. :o/>

I also support this Idea! I think it would be an intuitive and excellent addition to the feature set.

#13 Teraminer

• New Members
  • 175 posts
  • LocationDon't look behind you..

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Great idea but shift-right click sould open the old GUI.

#14 J0P5

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

Love this idea

Right click with disk, insert disk (I may even like the card reader idea by kamnxt better), right click with anything else to open the GUI.

#15 Sebra

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

Right click with any thing on empty -> insert.
Right click with empty hand on full -> extract.
Shift right click or other conditions -> GUI.

#16 LBPHacker

• Members
  • 766 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

Wanted to suggest this. Turns out somebody has suggested it already. So bump.

If the thread gets locked, at least that'll be a reaction from the developers.

#17 Lyqyd

Lua Liquidator

• Moderators
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

Did you even try shift-right-clicking a drive with a disk in hand? Clearly not. Ugh. Locked.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users