felling turtles: How to use?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Snowpaw

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

I just made my first Felling Turtle and used the programs command to check for a preloaded program to fell trees like Excavate, but there is none! How do I get them to, like....cut down a tree? I've got a HUGE oak I wanna tear down.

#2 Kingdaro

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,636 posts
  • Location'MURICA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

You'll need to make your own program for that. Here's a nice tutorial.

#3 Snowpaw

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

Wait a sec, the whole point of the machine is to chop down trees. And I have to program it to do that myself?! It's like asking me to program the Quarry from Buildcraft myself. The block doesn't function for it's intended purpose without a program...that I have to write? I suck at programming! :( Is there one already made I can use? I'm seriously not happy with the mod maker right now....

#4 Kingdaro

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,636 posts
  • Location'MURICA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

The mod only comes with pre-installed programs to show you the capability of the mod. It was made so that users could create their own programs, not while you could sit back while your overpowered machine, which by the way has infinite durability and is impervious to lava, does all of your work for you. You get out what you put in.

You should probably check out the Programs forum anyway for a lumberjack program.

#5 Snowpaw

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

Okay, I'm sorry if I sounded a little out of line, I'm just kinda pissed off that I wasted a diamond axe on a machine I may never be able to use properly. I could have 5 stacks of wood now if I'd used the axe myself...and diamonds aren't cheap for me.

#6 Kingdaro

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,636 posts
  • Location'MURICA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

I disagree, both on having five stacks of wood and diamonds not being cheap. They aren't coal, but if you do it right, you can excavate to level 15 and start branching off a bunch of tunnels. Doing this, I've gained over 20 diamonds in a short amount of days. On the subject of being able to obtain the wood on your own, that would be a bit difficult, with the way you describe how big this tree is. Lots of towering.

Also, for the record, a lumberjack turtle with an axe is literally the exact same thing as a mining turtle, except a lumberjack turtle can't dig stone and some other materials as far as I know. If I were you, I wouldn't feel bad for cheating the lumberjack turtle into a mining turtle. :P/>

#7 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:08 AM

also as Kingdaro said, there is no durability on the axe (yet) so it can chop down lots of trees! diamonds well spent I say.

Simple logger:
turtle.dig()
turtle.forward()
while turtle.detectUp() do
  turtle.digUp()
  turtle.up()
end
while turtle.down() do
end

That is all thats really needed, if you label the computer and have some fuel in it then just place the computer in front of a tree and run the above code... it will get the wood from the middle of the tree and come back down... then just pick it up, put it on another tree

Edited by TheOriginalBIT, 16 January 2013 - 03:09 AM.

#8 Snowpaw

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

Well, I meant I'd go to the nearby forest for wood instead of the huge oak. I kinda miss Treecapitator for this. Never got it to work in FTB when I put it in manually. I know it sounds like I just want easymode but...I find minecraft hard enough already sometimes! I don't have days to work on stuff, I'm a casual player! :P

#9 Kingdaro

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,636 posts
  • Location'MURICA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

Isn't treecapitator in tekkit lite?

#10 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

View PostKingdaro, on 16 January 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

Isn't treecapitator in tekkit lite?
Maybe he doesn't want to use Tekkit... a lot of people don't...

Personally I would use FTB any day over Tekkit!

#11 Kingdaro

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,636 posts
  • Location'MURICA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

Tekkit Lite is 1.4.5 though. :S

#12 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

View PostKingdaro, on 16 January 2013 - 03:55 AM, said:

Tekkit Lite is 1.4.5 though. :S
My issue with Tekkit wasn't with the version of MC it supported... also some mod packs in FTB do 1.4.5 i think too... but this is not a convo for this thread...

#13 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

Check the Turtle Programs forum. Lots of lumberjack programs. Also, for really big trees I recommend general remote control programs. Fewer of those, but still plentiful.

#14 MCHones

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

I just placed the felling Turtle on the top bit of a 2x2 jungle tree and typed, 'excavate 2'

He does the rest of the work, I am looking into using an old mining turtle slot and planting a redwood at the bottom, then felling from the top down to collect about 150-200 pure wood in one go.

#15 Apfeldstrudel

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostSnowpaw, on 16 January 2013 - 02:19 AM, said:

Wait a sec, the whole point of the machine is to chop down trees. And I have to program it to do that myself?! It's like asking me to program the Quarry from Buildcraft myself. The block doesn't function for it's intended purpose without a program...that I have to write? I suck at programming! :( Is there one already made I can use? I'm seriously not happy with the mod maker right now....
Really? Thats the point with cc - Most things are really cheap- but you have to give them programs (that YOU write)to make them do any good!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users