Colored Turtles/Computers

40 replies to this topic

#1 WeiseGuy

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

Can we dye the turtles/computers in the future? Just nice for aesthetics and being able to identify when you have multiple turtles/computers in inventory or in one area.

Normal dye colors would work, and its just a texture change.

#2 TheOddByte

Lazy Coder

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

This would be simpler to remember which turtle is which if you have alot of 'em...

#3 Cranium

Ninja Scripter

• Moderators
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationLincoln, Nebraska

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Nah, I don't like it.

#4 Dlcruz129

What's a Lua?

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostCranium, on 18 January 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Nah, I don't like it.

Ditto.

#5 KaoS

Diabolical Coder

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationThat dark shadow under your bed...

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

I think it would clutter up the CC tab in creative waaay too much... there are already too many disks, imagine 8 turtles for every possible peripheral & tool combination :mellow: I thought OCS would be a problem but wow

sorry to shoot you down but I really think we have enough CC items at the moment without x8 or however many colors of dye there are

#6 theoriginalbit

Semi-Professional ComputerCrafter

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostKaoS, on 18 January 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

sorry to shoot you down but I really think we have enough CC items at the moment without x8 or however many colors of dye there are
I agree!

Lets do the math... 16 colours of dyes... -1 because of light grey... now just sticking with Vanilla Turtles, not any added by peripherals, that is 19 turtles... so 15 * 19 means there would be 285 turtles... 285 turtles / max number of metadata gives us 285/16 = 17.8... so thats 18 block ids being consumed just by turtles... now lets add in computers thats a further 2 block ids, 16 for normal, 16 for advanced... so that means in just computers and turtles thats 20 block ids taken up by CC.... last issue... how do you then tell a dyed Adv computer from a dyed normal computer without opening the GUI?

Edited by TheOriginalBIT, 18 January 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#7 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Yeah...already using the metadata for different (and more pertinent) stuff. I don't hate the idea of being able to tell turtles apart visually, but I'm not eager to lose modems and tools for it.

#8 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, we wouldn't do anything stupid like list them all in the creative inventory. It is our choice what to list there...

#9 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostCloudy, on 18 January 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

Yeah, we wouldn't do anything stupid like list them all in the creative inventory. It is our choice what to list there...
Its a lot of consumed block ids just to add colours though.

#10 NeverCast

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

And you wouldn't use metadata, damn!
You already have NBT at your disposal. You would just NBT them with a color tag. Then do a two pass render, one with the normal texture, and another decal texture with the glColor adjusted to the color of the turtle.

No extra ID's consumed, no metadata used...

I personally like the idea.

Edit: No TheOriginalBit You wouldn't have to use any block ID's at all

Edit2: I think for the computers you could just give them a band around the left right and back face. Like a pinstripe.

As for the turtles, maybe a bit cooler decal, but yeah not too difficult.

#11 KaoS

Diabolical Coder

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationThat dark shadow under your bed...

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostCloudy, on 18 January 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

I am not a modder, my opinion is of little import here as I do know know nearly as much as I should (this is clearly shown by my repeated miscalculations), I have no clue what NBT is, I would not dream of telling you what to do with your mod but I can say that I disagree with this direction. this may motivate you to move in that direction but that is your decision and I just want to make my opinion known

what appeals to me in CC is:
1: it is coding related, I like coding
2: it is compact and still does what it needs to
3: the possibilities with this mod are endless

I feel that this suggestion compromises point 2

I thought that the colored disks were not necessary and I stick to that opinion with computers and turtles. to my mind they are not necessary and do not enhance the functionality of the mod. to add items to a mod that are not explicitly necessary is to risk becoming in some ways similar to Inficraft. When I first started playing I loved how everything most industrial mods could do was accomplished with so few items, the number of items grew but mostly they added incredible new coding possibilities like mouse functionality and automated crafting. thereafter I was confused as to why we would need a turtle equipped with a spade when a mining turtle fulfilled that role too, axes were also a confusion to me, colored disks were implemented when they did not change how a disk behaved in any way, turtles were given fuel limitations because they were too powerful and at the same time an additional 7 slots to put items in.

perhaps I have a different vision than you do and that would be my problem I guess but I urge you to focus on functionality when improving your mod, when anyone picks up a new mod they load it in with NEI and take a look at how it works, I hope they will not be assaulted by a long list of items that do the same thing but have "another decal texture" as I want this mod to spread as far and wide as it can.

I am not particularly eloquent when it comes to explaining myself. I know I can't hold a candle to nitrofingers and I hope it doesn't seem like I am attacking the approach you have taken. I just hope you can see my point of view here: do we really need 285 different types of turtles?

#12 ChunLing

• Members
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

Weeellll...I do see value in having the ability to mark turtles visually, both aesthetically and functionally. I'm just not in love with the idea enough to derail the pursuit of other decided improvements (towards the issue of tool function, durability implementation is an example). If it's easy enough, I'm okay with it.

#13 wilcomega

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

why dont you use the tile entity of pc to remeber the color. and when u shift right click with dye. you change it

#14 theoriginalbit

• Moderators
  • 7,332 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

View Postwilcomega, on 18 January 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

why dont you use the tile entity of pc to remeber the color.
Thats NBT...

#15 immibis

Lua God

• Members
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

View PostTheOriginalBIT, on 18 January 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

View Postwilcomega, on 18 January 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

why dont you use the tile entity of pc to remeber the color.
Thats NBT...
NBT is on disk. Tile entities are in memory. Except for items where NBT is both.

Also, I support this suggestion.

#16 Dlcruz129

What's a Lua?

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

I still don't see the use to this.

#17 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostDlcruz129, on 19 January 2013 - 04:01 AM, said:

You probably didn't see the use to colored floppies either, yet here they are. Same with printers, a lot of people tried to shoot that down with the same reason. So stop using that pathetic excuse for a reason to shoot down a suggestion. I think colored computers and turtles is a good idea, and a natural progression of colored floppies. Not very high on the priority list, but not a bad idea either. But then we'd probably need a different way to identify advanced computers... Hmm...

#18 immibis

Lua God

• Members
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostD3matt, on 19 January 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

View PostDlcruz129, on 19 January 2013 - 04:01 AM, said:

You probably didn't see the use to colored floppies either, yet here they are. Same with printers, a lot of people tried to shoot that down with the same reason. So stop using that pathetic excuse for a reason to shoot down a suggestion. I think colored computers and turtles is a good idea, and a natural progression of colored floppies. Not very high on the priority list, but not a bad idea either. But then we'd probably need a different way to identify advanced computers... Hmm...
Don't advanced computers have a green > on their front?

#19 Cloudy

Ex-Developer

• Members
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

Nope.

#20 TheOddByte

Lazy Coder

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostCloudy, on 20 January 2013 - 02:05 AM, said:

Nope.
BEST POST EWAAAAA!! :P
No but seriously, Is this something you think are going to happen?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users