Good FTB Server Host?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Luanub

Lua Nub

• Members
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Since I trust this community much more then any of the others out I figured I would ask here first. I'm looking at setting up a FTB DW20 server and instead of running it off of one of my machines this time having it hosted so that the internet connection will be better. I want FTP and if at all possible SSH access to the server. I plan on adding in some anti-grief plugins and can't do that without the access. A decent control panel would be nice as well. I was looking at https://vortexserver...eedthebeast.php which looks fairly decent and they have a center fairly close to where I am at as well.

Does anyone have any recommendation on a good host? Anything I should watch out for? I've never had anything hosted before, I always have just done it myself.

#2 Sammich Lord

IRC Addict

• Members
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationThe Sammich Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Creeperhost is the best I have found so far. Cheap prices and one click install for Bukkit, Tekkit, FTB and ForgeMod. It is also a VPS so you run a web server and voice server off of it at no extra cost. Their "Spider" plan has 3GB RAM for $29 a month. It gives you a VERY nice control panel as well as full SSH and FTP access. Please note, this is from what I have read online and have seen through live demos.

Edit: I have spent a hour looking for a cheaper hosting provider that has better reviews then this but I couldn't find any. BTW, they also have one click install for Mumble, Apache, MySQL and MySQL Manager.

#3 Luanub

Lua Nub

• Members
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Thanks Sammich I had found a few others but after looking at Creeperhost and back to debating on it or Viper.

I've seen people that look specifically for VPS servers. Is there any benefit of going with a VPS? As far as I can tell Viper does not have VPS but runs off of SSD, Creeperhost is VPS, but runs off of HDD. Prices are comparable, same with location.

#4 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

A VPS allows more control over the host, and allows you to run other, supplemental programs such as a website or teamspeak server or SQL server.

#5 Dlcruz129

What's a Lua?

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

http://www.fragnet.net/

Google them; they have almost perfect reviews. I spend $15/month for a gb of ram, and it doesn't lag.

Oh, and if you decide to go with someone else, do NOT use RedstoneHost.

#6 Luanub

Lua Nub

• Members
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

fragnet.net definitely looks good, think I will end up going with them.

Thanks everyone for the information i truly appreciate it.

#7 Dlcruz129

What's a Lua?

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Also, fragnet comes with free SQL servers, and a free Mumble server.

#8 Simon

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

I used to have creeperhost, it's not that good, fragnet is the best I also have a server hosted there.

#9 RussianBlue

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

I tried this company the other night after my previous host closed their servers. On the face of it creeperhost looked good, they were based in the UK and said they had the latest equipment.

I was a little concerned at first that some of their website didn’t work when using browsers on a Mac platform but stayed with it. I put in a support ticket to see if they could help me setup my own domain name with my account and they came back with a positive reply and I decided to go for it and opened an account.

The welcome email was sparse to say the least, on getting access to the control area I looked for instructions on initial setup and soon realised there was almost nothing in the way of help, only a couple of articles in the knowledgebase and I had to resort to submitting a ticket.

I’m pretty new to Minecraft servers and needed the very basic help with just getting started with the service but unfortunately I soon found out that (what appears to be the company’s only employee - Luke H) was abrupt and highly condescending.

The following is one of the responses from that one and only employee…

“I will express once more, you are on the basic support package; when purchasing a server it thoroughly explains which support package best suites you. It seems here that you have zero Minecraft server knowledge and therefore you would have been recommended the advanced support package to which you did not take. Upon neglecting the support packages that informs me you have basic Minecraft server knowledge, which is not true.”

He then said I needed to pay the same amount again as the hosting cost in order to help me (bearing in mind they have no help documents or knowledgebase files to speak of) at this point I realised I had made a mistake, I'd been at it for 4 hours!

Even though I never got to use the server I didn’t get a refund and finally decided it was a lesson well learnt. Hopefully others can also benefit from my experience with this company.

I immediately found another hosting company (MPServ.net) who were only too happy to speak with me like an adult and I was up-and-running with a new server in under 45 mins.

#10 D3matt

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

Not the best place for a creeperhost complaint, especially from a new member. The staff member you talked to is correct about the support, it's very clearly stated on their purchase page that the basic support package only covers the VPS itself and not setting up minecraft. It's not the host's job to tell you what to do with minecraft. It's not their fault you don't know what you're doing. If you can't get it set up using information available on Google, chances are slim your minecraft server will be successful. Don't blame the host for your own lack of knowledge. The internet has instructions on setting up a minecraft server all over the place. A simple google search returns plenty of results that are specific to creeperhost. The first result is a very helpful youtube video. If that fails, one could easily search for more information on setting up minecraft in general.

Stop badmouthing a good service because you can't figure out how to use it or purchase the correct support package.

#11 MudkipTheEpic

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationWhere you'd least expect it.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Google peak-hosting. Great prices and service.

#12 RussianBlue

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostD3matt, on 01 June 2013 - 10:11 AM, said:

Not the best place for a creeperhost complaint, especially from a new member. The staff member you talked to is correct about the support, it's very clearly stated on their purchase page that the basic support package only covers the VPS itself and not setting up minecraft. It's not the host's job to tell you what to do with minecraft. It's not their fault you don't know what you're doing. If you can't get it set up using information available on Google, chances are slim your minecraft server will be successful. Don't blame the host for your own lack of knowledge. The internet has instructions on setting up a minecraft server all over the place. A simple google search returns plenty of results that are specific to creeperhost. The first result is a very helpful youtube video. If that fails, one could easily search for more information on setting up minecraft in general.

Stop badmouthing a good service because you can't figure out how to use it or purchase the correct support package.

Please note that I was giving my opinion (which is the general idea of a forum) and it is factual and accurate. Whether I'm new to this forum or an old hand is not relevant. Also, please note that this is not "bad mouthing" as you so nicely put it but hopefully feedback which will help others know that Creeperhost are not necessarily the best choice and I also recommended MPServ.net

This was my second Minecraft server (the first one, Get-Sourced were also brilliant and HELPFUL with a great attitude, but unfortunately they are closing down). In particular I was able to get my own domain name with their hosting and they got me up and running in no time at all. Creeperhost on the other hand didn't even want to tell me what my hostname was! After finally giving up on Creeperhost in disgust I went to MPServ.net who got me up and running with my own domain name in under 45 mins. So it patently wasn't due to my lack of knowledge, it was due to Creeperhost's poor attitude.

#13 nutcase84

• Members
  • 711 posts
  • LocationIn My Lonely Little Computer Corner

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostMudkipTheEpic, on 01 June 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

Google peak-hosting. Great prices and service.

Peak Hosting FTW!!!

#14 MudkipTheEpic

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationWhere you'd least expect it.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

http://www.peak-hosting.com
?

Because theres 2 Peak Hostings... I like this one.

#15 nutcase84

• Members
  • 711 posts
  • LocationIn My Lonely Little Computer Corner

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

View PostMudkipTheEpic, on 17 June 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

http://www.peak-hosting.com
?

Because theres 2 Peak Hostings... I like this one.

That's the one I use. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users