←  Suggestions

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

Computer helmet with HUD

Cranium's Photo Cranium 28 Feb 2013

View PostCloudy, on 28 February 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

View PostDlcruz129, on 28 February 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

View PostBigSHinyToys, on 27 February 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

Two hours after this was posted and then this.
Posted Image
source: https://mobile.twitt...m/DanTwoHundred
Could the two be related ?? guess we will find out latter.

PDA's? :D/>

No.
So cryptic Cloudy....

oeed's Photo oeed 28 Feb 2013

It would be kinda neat, but how would you interact with it?

Sammich Lord's Photo Sammich Lord 28 Feb 2013

View Postoeed, on 28 February 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

It would be kinda neat, but how would you interact with it?
Most likely interfacing it with the peripheral API on a PDA.
Let's say I have a PDA and I wanted to print something so I would do this:
m = peripheral.warp("top")
m.write("Text to print")
Then it would write that.

Tiin57's Photo Tiin57 28 Feb 2013

This is now a required action.
Cloudy, this is me demanding this.
When will it happen?

:P
JK.

Edit:

View PostCranium, on 28 February 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

Posted Image

PDA's? :D/>

No.
So cryptic Cloudy....
Not related; dan said something in IRC about needing to move SVN hosts due to user number limitations or something.
My guess is that he's adding a third developer to CC.

Dlcruz129's Photo Dlcruz129 28 Feb 2013

Posted Image

PDA's? :D/>/>

No.

Damn. Oh well, I look forward to whatever it is.

Jarle212's Photo Jarle212 02 Mar 2013

Making thread. Waiting for comments. Gets comments. Waits for a few days..... A "few" more comments :)
I think I like this idea more now :P

JJRcop's Photo JJRcop 02 Mar 2013

Believe me OP, I never would have thought of it. It's a great idea!

Jarle212's Photo Jarle212 03 Mar 2013

Thank you :)

wilcomega's Photo wilcomega 04 Mar 2013

if you use some calculations and stuff you may be able to with GPS stuff to draw information on the screen about turtles. screen as you eyes

Exerro's Photo Exerro 06 Mar 2013

to be fair, i think this would be amazing, depending on how it was set up...if you could put one in a disk drive and only make one program it would be cool...for example an email program where the helmet can receive emails and display them on the top of your view. It would have to be very limited obviously, but if we have them in real life whats the problem about adding them to minecraft?
the limitations to balance it out:
no editing directly ( you have to edit the single program through an advanced computer )
limited space ( smaller screen with only black and white )
listens to up to 5 channels ( can only receive from 5 different rednet channels )
uber expensive:
DDD
DGD
LLL
where D = diamond, G = glass, and L = leather ( a strap to keep it on :P )

MudkipTheEpic's Photo MudkipTheEpic 06 Mar 2013

View Postawsumben13, on 06 March 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

to be fair, i think this would be amazing, depending on how it was set up...if you could put one in a disk drive and only make one program it would be cool...for example an email program where the helmet can receive emails and display them on the top of your view. It would have to be very limited obviously, but if we have them in real life whats the problem about adding them to minecraft?
the limitations to balance it out:
no editing directly ( you have to edit the single program through an advanced computer )
limited space ( smaller screen with only black and white )
listens to up to 5 channels ( can only receive from 5 different rednet channels )
uber expensive:
DDD
DGD
LLL
where D = diamond, G = glass, and L = leather ( a strap to keep it on :P )

If it has diamond, it should be color. I think more around 31-2 channels.
You could right-click it when it was in your hand to edit it.

Maybe better recipe:

DGD
GgG
LLL

D=diamond
G=gold
g=glass pane
l=leather

And if only one program, someone could emulate multiple programs easily, and 1 program was disapproved on the PDA as well.

I was thinking of it being more of a display that could receive things from a connected computer, therefore the 5 rednet channels instead of a replacement for the PDA.
The PDA would be like a portable computer and the helmet would be like a monitor that you wear so you wouldn't be able to edit programs with it. Also, how would you type on a glass pane?

MudkipTheEpic's Photo MudkipTheEpic 06 Mar 2013

View Postawsumben13, on 06 March 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

I was thinking of it being more of a display that could receive things from a connected computer, therefore the 5 rednet channels instead of a replacement for the PDA.
The PDA would be like a portable computer and the helmet would be like a monitor that you wear so you wouldn't be able to edit programs with it. Also, how would you type on a glass pane?

How do you type and use your mouse on an advanced computer with no keyboard or mouse?

No programs = no way to do anything when not in rednet range.

I didn't say a replacement, but maybe you could put a PDA into it to activate it and the term calls would be forwarded?

Cranium's Photo Cranium 06 Mar 2013

I would say that to provide balance, it should only be able to be used as a peripheral with a PDA. It would essentially be a monitor only, with no input or interation outside of the gui of the PDA itself. This would be akin to using a bluetooth headset. You could wrap the peripheral, then write to it just like the monitors. But that's it.

EDIT: Example program:
local hud = peripheral.wrap("top")
hud.setCursorPos(1,1)
hud.setTextColor(colors.red)
hud.write("Turtle statistics display")
hud.setCursorPos(1,3)
hud.setTextColor(colors.white)
hud.write(<turtle information retreived via rednet on the PDA>)

Edited by Cranium, 06 March 2013 - 04:19 AM.

Wireless peripheral wrapping could be good. The computers could interact with the helmet as well as the PDA's, and if there was a small range to it, you could have broadcasters in buildings so you can see certain things in a building where you can't outside. This would be unbelievably useful on servers with companies etc. And i agree with Cranium about it only acting like a monitor.

Jarle212's Photo Jarle212 06 Mar 2013

View PostCranium, on 06 March 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

I would say that to provide balance, it should only be able to be used as a peripheral with a PDA. It would essentially be a monitor only, with no input or interation outside of the gui of the PDA itself. This would be akin to using a bluetooth headset. You could wrap the peripheral, then write to it just like the monitors. But that's it.

EDIT: Example program:
local hud = peripheral.wrap("top")
hud.setCursorPos(1,1)
hud.setTextColor(colors.red)
hud.write("Turtle statistics display")
hud.setCursorPos(1,3)
hud.setTextColor(colors.white)
hud.write(<turtle information retreived via rednet on the PDA>)

I like that idea. That whould balance it :)

EDIT:

View PostCranium, on 06 March 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

As for any 'armor' effects, the strength of the armoring would be nonexistant, and the hud would not break during battle. Of course, anything written to the hud would have to be see through, so as not to impede the player's vision too much.

Nice :)

As for any 'armor' effects, the strength of the armoring would be nonexistant, and the hud would not break during battle. Of course, anything written to the hud would have to be see through, so as not to impede the player's vision too much.

term.clear( ) should actually clear it and you should be able to draw black pixels over the top of the view. Maybe a compass would be good for it, so you could effectively block out parts of a players view if they are looking somewhere secret

Sebra's Photo Sebra 06 Mar 2013

View PostCranium, on 06 March 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

While you could see through screen, you will need to know which point of screen corresponds which point of world. So you will need at least two axis orientation input. And most logical source for this info is compass on helmet. So recipe can be something like Helmet+Monitor+Compass. Only PDA peripheral of course.

View Postawsumben13, on 06 March 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

Wireless peripheral wrapping could be good. The computers could interact with the helmet as well as the PDA's, and if there was a small range to it, you could have broadcasters in buildings so you can see certain things in a building where you can't outside. This would be unbelievably useful on servers with companies etc. And i agree with Cranium about it only acting like a monitor.
You cannot find player from Computer so you cannot find his helmet. PDA should be used to translate any info.

View PostSebra, on 06 March 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

While you could see through screen, you will need to know which point of screen corresponds which point of world. So you will need at least two axis orientation input. And most logical source for this info is compass on helmet. So recipe can be something like Helmet+Monitor+Compass. Only PDA peripheral of course.
Why would you need to have the screen change in correlation to the world view? All you have to do is make an image that overlays on top of the existing gui(much like putting a pumpkin on your head). Fron that, you would be able to display different information provided by an attached PDA. I see no reason to get compass direction.