←  Games

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

Minecraft Chess

lukeplechaty's Photo lukeplechaty 16 Apr 2012

nitrogenfingers, on 16 April 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

I have no idea what's going on- when I copy the link and paste it in the URL window it seems to run fine, it's only the embedded link that's having problems. Try doing the same:
http://www.mediafire...n4y9vy72woqmbqs
that works thanks

theoriginalbit's Photo theoriginalbit 23 Apr 2012

I cannot get the download link to work... tried all suggestions... :)/>

BigSHinyToys's Photo BigSHinyToys 23 Apr 2012

your chess is awesome but mediafile links are not the best way to distribute it. i would suggest switching to http://pastebin.com/
mediafile is more for large files anyway. pastbin is for code.

Leo Verto's Photo Leo Verto 24 Apr 2012

I'm looking forward to seeing this for rednet multiplayer.
I really want monitors on my tekkit server but I can't afford installing the backport. :)/>

nitrogenfingers's Photo nitrogenfingers 27 Apr 2012

Thanks for everyone's interests, for the moment at least I'm calling this project largely complete. When I finish up that stalemate algorithm I think it will be entirely done.

I'll post a video soon to show off the game running.

I've done basic unit testing and white box testing while I've been working through it but I haven't done much black box, so please report any bugs you come across. Leave them as a message or send me a personal message, I really appreciate the help.

And I'll switch over from mediafire to pastebin, thanks for the advice!

Leo Verto's Photo Leo Verto 27 Apr 2012

I will certainly get this on my server when tekkit includes monitors :)/>

BigSHinyToys's Photo BigSHinyToys 28 Apr 2012

I was thinking about your display problems and how you wanted to use monitors and that lead me to this idea.

Using turtles to build the pieces on a board so spectators can see the game. One turtle would be for white one for black when instructed they would move to the piece and remove it then move to the position it should be and build it.or if you wanted it to happen faster use four bots two for each side one building while the other removes the piece.

It would be a lot of work to get it going but you have to admit it would be cool.
Spoiler

nitrogenfingers's Photo nitrogenfingers 28 Apr 2012

I did have a similar idea. I'd have an 8x8 grid of turtles beneath the surface. That way players could make moves on a physical board rather than a digital one, but of course that would require some sort of legend and wouldn't look very exciting.
What you've got there looks pretty cool- I suppose instead there would just be one or two turtles that "commit" moves by de and reconstructing large chess pieces in different spots. Probably need to use another mod to get some better blocks, but you're right that is a big job. I may have to give that a try...

Negeator's Photo Negeator 30 Apr 2012

Just put this program on a server I play on with a few friends. We've really enjoyed this so far.

Great Job!

PixelToast's Photo PixelToast 10 May 2012

nitrogenfingers, on 28 April 2012 - 03:41 AM, said:

I did have a similar idea. I'd have an 8x8 grid of turtles beneath the surface. That way players could make moves on a physical board rather than a digital one, but of course that would require some sort of legend and wouldn't look very exciting.
What you've got there looks pretty cool- I suppose instead there would just be one or two turtles that "commit" moves by de and reconstructing large chess pieces in different spots. Probably need to use another mod to get some better blocks, but you're right that is a big job. I may have to give that a try...
might be possible to put icons above the turtles with the openGL peripheral and it would look really cool to see one turtle kill another
and for controlling what turtle will go you might be able to use the controller peripheral i think

Leo Verto's Photo Leo Verto 13 May 2012

I think using 2 periphals for this is not a very good idea, since this program is meant to be used on servers (why else would there be chess multiplayer) and all users would have to mod CC and install both periphals.
And using periphals would exclude tekkit support completely.

But maybe having an alternate version for the periphals would be a good idea.

nitrogenfingers's Photo nitrogenfingers 19 Sep 2012

A bit of a shameless bumb but this recently received a 2 1/2 second mention on Yogcast at around 18:30- celebrity endorsement!

Cranium's Photo Cranium 19 Sep 2012

This is an amazing accomplishment! And here I am stuck on restaraunt-napkin level games like hangman or tic-tac-toe....
Great job!

nitrogenfingers's Photo nitrogenfingers 21 Nov 2012

This is a tiny update but I've added colour to the client, to make it a little less epilepsy-inducing to play.

Posted Image

Most of the interface and the chesswatch remains monochrome however and the game is compatible with both kinds of computers. I'm still not happy with the colours, but it's good enough for the moment.

BigSHinyToys's Photo BigSHinyToys 21 Nov 2012

you can set background to white or black in the normal computers. Might solve your flashing problem
Spoiler

rhyleymaster's Photo rhyleymaster 21 Nov 2012

Im gonna use this on a server. CHESS TOURNAMENTS BEGIN!

nitrogenfingers's Photo nitrogenfingers 21 Nov 2012

BigSHinyToys, on 21 November 2012 - 03:24 AM, said:

you can set background to white or black in the normal computers. Might solve your flashing problem

Oh, my main concern is with contrast. White doesn't show well on yellow, black doesn't show well on brown. I can't keep the checker pattern needed on monochrome monitors on white or black pieces of the wrong colour won't show up. I could have the board change colour depending on what piece is on the board, but that might look a bit strange.

I'll keep thinking about it.

BigSHinyToys's Photo BigSHinyToys 22 Nov 2012

nitrogenfingers, on 21 November 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

BigSHinyToys, on 21 November 2012 - 03:24 AM, said:

Oh, my main concern is with contrast. White doesn't show well on yellow, black doesn't show well on brown. I can't keep the checker pattern needed on monochrome monitors on white or black pieces of the wrong colour won't show up. I could have the board change colour depending on what piece is on the board, but that might look a bit strange.

I'll keep thinking about it.
I was hoping that gray and light Gray was possible on black and white monitors. would have the distinctest contrasts you need.

KaoS's Photo KaoS 22 Nov 2012

I have just watched your youtube video and must admit it is quite cool. I am now determined to make a mouse operated version with move highlighting and the rest

KaoS's Photo KaoS 23 Nov 2012

well. finished the first beta. forum post is here. thanks for the inspiration nitro