←  Peripherals and Turtle Upgrades

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

[1.4.7] [CC 1.481] CCRedbus - control Redb...

TomyLobo's Photo TomyLobo 03 Jun 2013

fixed the link. oops.

natedogith1's Photo natedogith1 09 Jun 2013

might I request some functions and events so that redpower computers can talk to the peripheral? Probably events for read/write and a function that sets and gets the values that can be read(cause you can't(as far as I'm aware) call a function directly without doing weird things like somehow grabbing the lua function and compiling it into java); actually, looking at your speaker mod, you could perhaps add an option similar to how you did the functions for sound generation for the read/write(though I'm not sure if this would ever be useful)

TomyLobo's Photo TomyLobo 09 Jun 2013

Adding such a feature would force me to use RPC.
Avoiding RPC was the reason why I made this peripheral.
What's your use case anyway?

MaHuJa's Photo MaHuJa 10 Jun 2013

I, for one, would like to see the reverse in some form.

One of the reasons to use RPC rather than CC is that it maintains a consistent state through reloads. Something which is not possible in CC, and (official line) will not be. Approximating it is hard, too.
Plus, it behaves more like a computer, and is far kinder to the server. (It has memory limits!)

TomyLobo's Photo TomyLobo 10 Jun 2013

I had no trouble saving state to a file each time that state changes :)

I would highly doubt that statement about it being kinder to the server.
Of course, CC has the potential of being more of a strain on the server, simply because RPC is resource-limited and CC is (almost) not.

But if you compare efficiency, you have an emulated CPU on one side and LuaJ, which compiles to java bytecode, which the Hotspot JVM JITs to native code if it's run a lot.
I hope it's clear to you, which one is more efficient :)

EDIT: using the CC peripheral interface to attach peripherals to non-CC stuff would probably violate the license

immibis's Photo immibis 11 Jun 2013

I think CC interpets Lua... also, why care about CC's license but not RP's?

TomyLobo's Photo TomyLobo 11 Jun 2013

ComputerCraft uses LuaJ, which is a "Lightweight, fast, Java-centric Lua interpreter written for JME and JSE, with string, table, package, math, io, os, debug, coroutine & luajava libraries, JSR-223 bindings, all metatags, weak tables and unique direct lua-to-java-bytecode compiling." (http://sourceforge.net/projects/luaj/)
Why I care about the CC license? for one, because I'm posting this on computercraft forums :)
The CC devs have also never been unreasonable, unavailable or just outright assholes, while eloraam has been all of that.

Xfel's Photo Xfel 12 Jun 2013

Though it is true that LuaJ is CAPABLE of direct lua-to-java-bytecode compilation, it is not used in CC as far as I know.

TomyLobo's Photo TomyLobo 12 Jun 2013

You can see that it is used if you take a look at the ComputerCraft zip file in any zip-capable tool

immibis's Photo immibis 13 Jun 2013

TomyLobo, on 12 June 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

You can see that it is used if you take a look at the ComputerCraft zip file in any zip-capable tool
How can you see that?

TomyLobo's Photo TomyLobo 13 Jun 2013

By assuming that they wouldn't bundle it if they didn't use it :)

Galactica4's Photo Galactica4 18 Jul 2013

Can someone explain why eloraam would be annoyed to find this?

SIDE NOTE: BRING REDPOWER TO 1.6.2 ALREADY GOD DAMMIT

TomyLobo's Photo TomyLobo 18 Jul 2013

I dunno, ask the people on #redpower on espernet

Be warned though, they might ban you :D

ElvishJerricco's Photo ElvishJerricco 18 Jul 2013

TomyLobo, on 13 June 2013 - 02:38 AM, said:

By assuming that they wouldn't bundle it if they didn't use it :)

Just because the files are there doesn't mean they're being used. Lots of forge hooks aren't used by CC, so why have them included when CC is the only mod installed? Point being that Dan isn't gonna take the time to remove the files from package, especially not since you typically aren't supposed to mess with the file structure of someone else's API.

Galactica4, on 18 July 2013 - 02:35 AM, said:

Can someone explain why eloraam would be annoyed to find this?

SIDE NOTE: BRING REDPOWER TO 1.6.2 ALREADY GOD DAMMIT

Eloraam is a very private modder. She does not like people lurking through her code, especially since she's not obligated to keep it the same for future versions. She's had a power conversion mod taken down entirely because it included Bluetricity.

immibis's Photo immibis 18 Jul 2013

Galactica4: Eloraam forbids reverse engineering of RP2, like most closed-source licenses.

TomyLobo's Photo TomyLobo 18 Jul 2013

Eloraam can't enforce that reverse engineering for the purpose of interoperability against any EU citizen (which includes me)

So if she takes down my mod, she'll have to do other things to convince people to do so.
I have a few in mind, but I'm not gonna detail them here for several reasons.

Cloudy's Photo Cloudy 18 Jul 2013

PORT TO 1.6.2 PLEASE!!111one

immibis's Photo immibis 19 Jul 2013

Btw, after my converter mod, Eloraam threatened to stop modding if anyome did that again.

TomyLobo's Photo TomyLobo 19 Jul 2013

that would be one of the items on my list of ways in which she could convince people to do her bidding

Britaliope's Photo Britaliope 19 Dec 2013

For people who waht download this awesome and seen download links are broken, i've sucessful recompile it using github (after 12 hours of hard work :blink: ). Waiting an update of download links, i've upload it on mediafire. Link : CCredbus-0.0.6.jar .