←  Ask a Pro

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

Ask A Pro Renewal Project (and How You Can...

KingofGamesYami's Photo KingofGamesYami 08 Jan 2015

Perhaps in the Tutorials Forum.

LeviM's Photo LeviM 08 Jan 2015

View PostKingofGamesYami, on 08 January 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

Perhaps in the Tutorials Forum.
Well, don't I feel stupid...

Lyqyd's Photo Lyqyd 18 Feb 2015

I've pinned the "Computer Basics I" tutorial post over in the Tutorials section, as a post by ElvishJerricco pointed out that we didn't have a stickied starting-off point for players new to the mod. I still need to add links to CB3 to other AaPRP tutorials to look at following on from it.

I'm interested in thoughts. Anybody have any strong feelings either way on having that specific tutorial pinned?

cdel's Photo cdel 18 Feb 2015

I think its a good idea, but probably just more of a wiki thing, in my opinion.

Bomb Bloke's Photo Bomb Bloke 18 Feb 2015

I feel like new users ignore the tutorials section - and stickies in particular. The friend who introduced me to the mod taught me how to label a computer and fuel a turtle - the two main aspects of the mods that really aren't intuitive, and are likely most often taught by word of mouth (eg YouTube videos) - and the rest was easy enough to figure out from there, simply by searching for the Lua equivalent of programming constructs and commands I was already familiar with from other languages (and by consuming all the info in the wiki's APIs category, of course - a resource that should be highlighted!). Most guides on this site (including the "computer basics" ones) I've not read before now, and the only tutorial I've read in the hopes of actually learning something is this one.

But of course, I realise different newcomers have different needs. For what it's worth, I do read stickies. ;)

Obviously having a sticky is better than not having a sticky; though a "table of contents" might be more suitable than an actual guide (providing an index of links to the "better" guides out there, along with a suggested reading order). And before it comes up, I'd rather not see a "democratic" approach taken with the selection process, as this would only lead to people who don't know any better decrying perfectly good guides and promoting those which're frankly rubbish. Even if only one person (eg Lyqyd) has the final say on what's in the index, that's fine by me - the less the better.

In the absence of such an "index", I can't think of any better guide to sticky than Computer Basics I. But, while we're talking about that particular guide, I do have a couple of suggested alterations for it:

I feel that knowing about the computer labelling system in ComputerCraft is much more important than knowing how to edit and save scripts. Leaving that bit of info out until after (until the next guide, in fact!) feels like it could be taken as a bad joke when someone loses their work (or turtle's fuel reserve) because they weren't aware - and indeed, people who are already familiar with command line interfaces (and Unix commands in particular) are likely to skim or entirely skip over CB II anyway. Really I consider this labelling information to be so important that I'd be sticking it (or at least a link leading to it) up the top of the aforementioned "tutorial index" thread, were it to exist - perhaps under a "getting started" heading or something like that.

Second, although a relatively minor point, maybe stick a link to the next guide at the bottom of each CB post. I feel people are otherwise likely to forget that there is a next guide by the time they get down there. CB III would do well to lead on to some guides regarding eg turtles.

Lyqyd's Photo Lyqyd 18 Feb 2015

You've made several excellent points! I will work on creation of an index of worthy tutorials at some point and sticky it instead of CB1. In the meantime, the point about labeling is an excellent one, so I'll try to add a quick mention stressing the importance of doing so to the tutorial, with a link to the further explanation in CB2. Links at the bottom are a good idea as well.

TYKUHN2's Photo TYKUHN2 24 Sep 2015

I think the best thing for the Ask a Pro section is more questions. Honestly today I have been refreshing and seeing nothing. I want to help too! :(

Don't be afraid to post in this fourm, that should be exagerated. If it is a minimal problem we will help with no grumbles!
At the same time do give us the information we need.

Also mark solved posts no matter how old, I am going through and see really old posts with new replies, which confuse me becuase they appear at the top. And some of these don't include a final solution so it is hard to determine if it has been fixed yet. Just my 2-Sense
Edited by TYKUHN2, 24 September 2015 - 02:16 AM.

HPWebcamAble's Photo HPWebcamAble 24 Sep 2015

I really wish this forum software had support for marking questions as solved, and a certain post as the 'answer'
If you've got a simple problem, these two things can help you quickly find an existing answer.

Of course, this isn't possible in the current version, so just editing the title to add " [solved] " would be helpful.

View PostTYKUHN2, on 24 September 2015 - 02:16 AM, said:

I think the best thing for the Ask a Pro section is more questions. Honestly today I have been refreshing and seeing nothing. I want to help too! :(

It might just be that very few people have questions right now. School is starting for a lot of us :P

TYKUHN2's Photo TYKUHN2 25 Sep 2015

View PostHPWebcamAble, on 24 September 2015 - 11:18 PM, said:

-snip-

It might just be that very few people have questions right now. School is starting for a lot of us :P

Screw school! I can still Ask a Pro while in school! Infact I am!

Also, maybe the forum software is a different version, but I noticed (and I know it is a sin to say this name on this forum) OpenComputer's IP.Board supports the [Solved] tag as a small green icon.

Bomb Bloke's Photo Bomb Bloke 25 Sep 2015

View PostTYKUHN2, on 25 September 2015 - 01:52 AM, said:

(and I know it is a sin to say this name on this forum)

Never has been, doubt it ever will be.

TYKUHN2's Photo TYKUHN2 25 Sep 2015

Honestly in ways I prefer ComputerCraft, and not for it's simplicity either. I like the challenge of OpenComputers, but I am not a fan of certain things of it. The Navigation upgrade used to annoy me but it was fixed, but the biggest annoyance is the Network Card. You can be 100% sure your communicating with who you think it is.

But in all seriousness I am noticing a distinct lack of questions on both forums (OC being newer though) which means I am sitting here watching youtube trying to find something to do.

Lyqyd's Photo Lyqyd 25 Sep 2015

If you've got the knack for writing high-quality tutorials, the first post of this topic has several tutorial topics that have no drafts written for them yet.

Sewbacca's Photo Sewbacca 13 Aug 2016

Correct me if I heard you wrong, but am I not allowed to answer questions with a OO-design or asking questions with a OO-design?
Edited by Sewbacca, 13 August 2016 - 07:25 PM.

Lupus590's Photo Lupus590 13 Aug 2016

View PostSewbacca, on 13 August 2016 - 07:24 PM, said:

Correct me if I heard you wrong, but am I not allowed to answer questions with a OO-design or asking questions with a OO-design?

It's more of, you should provide the simple solution when possible and expect varying and limited answers when using tables as objects (partly due to the vast number of ways of implementing objects in Lua)

Sewbacca's Photo Sewbacca 20 Aug 2016

View PostLupus590, on 13 August 2016 - 09:30 PM, said:

View PostSewbacca, on 13 August 2016 - 07:24 PM, said:

It's more of, you should provide the simple solution when possible and expect varying and limited answers when using tables as objects (partly due to the vast number of ways of implementing objects in Lua)

And what is with questions, I asked? Often am I wanting OO-soloutins and more often OO-soloutions allow easier maintenance and easier development!
Edited by Sewbacca, 20 August 2016 - 11:44 PM.

Lyqyd's Photo Lyqyd 20 Aug 2016

The style guidelines in the first post are for AaPRP series tutorials, they don't have anything to do with question and answer topics in Ask a Pro itself.