←  Operating Systems

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

Long Os - [v1.2 Released] Multitasking Mul...

Poll: Select feature for the release 1.3 (91 member(s) have cast votes)

Which feature is more important for you?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Gvin's Photo Gvin 12 Sep 2013

Posted Image
LongOS is an open-source project which purpose is to create simple and intuitive windowed OS for ComputerCraft.
The main goal is to make common everyday actions easier and faster. And also to add some pretty interface for every such action.
Being the open-source project means that anyone can fork or contribute to this OS if he want to.

Current OS version: 1.2

To update from v1.1
Spoiler

Screenshots:
Spoiler

Documentation
Spoiler

Features
Spoiler

Programs
Spoiler

Configurable options
Spoiler

Installation:
You can download and install the LongOS manually using the GitHub repository. It is suggested to download the last stable release.
Alternatively you can use automated downloader from the pastebin:
pastebin get 8VE6vxdd downloader

Issues
If you have found bugs in the LongOS you can post about them using the GitHub issue tracker.
Alternatively you can post this bugs or some suggestions here.
Please add steps describing in your bug reports. It is also suggested to attach screenshots.

Versions history
Spoiler

Changelog
Spoiler

Bubba's Photo Bubba 12 Sep 2013

This looks very, very impressive. In fact, to me this is the most appealing OS on the forums right now. Well done.

Grim Reaper's Photo Grim Reaper 12 Sep 2013

When executing the installer, I get the following error:
installer: 102: attempt index ? (a nil value)
In green right before that red error message, the text
tree.lua
is displayed.

I've got the http API enabled and have downloaded from pastebin many times before.

Gvin's Photo Gvin 12 Sep 2013

View PostGrim Reaper, on 12 September 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

When executing the installer, I get the following error:
installer: 102: attempt index ? (a nil value)
In green right before that red error message, the text
tree.lua
is displayed.

I've got the http API enabled and have downloaded from pastebin many times before.

This is quite strange. Download from pastebin goes fine but downloading from github results with this error. Please check if our github repository is available to you.
On our computers the download process goes fine.
Alternatively you can donwload the release package and install the LongOS manually.

Mitchfizz05's Photo Mitchfizz05 13 Sep 2013

This looks like a certainly highly detailed OS with all the little things and big things a CC OS should have plus more!
I love the interface!
Great Job!

Dave-ee Jones's Photo Dave-ee Jones 13 Sep 2013

View PostBubba, on 12 September 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

This looks very, very impressive. In fact, to me this is the most appealing OS on the forums right now. Well done.

I second that :D

I think I will re-design my GUI for AquaOS soon...It seems to be very old compared to some newer ones.

Gvin's Photo Gvin 04 Oct 2013

We decided to turn next pre-release version 1.0.1 into release version 1.1. This was because we implemented a lot of new features in this version so the difference can be seen by anyone.
For now there are several small features and two big are left to do. We are going to finish and release version 1.1 till monday.
Thanks for replies!

YuvonDovah's Photo YuvonDovah 04 Oct 2013

There is a typo in the text near the top, second line you have put 'he ' instead of 'The'. But it's look really really good although I think you need to touch up on the art and colours, I feel they colours you use don't belong together.

Gvin's Photo Gvin 05 Oct 2013

View PostYuvonDovah, on 04 October 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

There is a typo in the text near the top, second line you have put 'he ' instead of 'The'. But it's look really really good although I think you need to touch up on the art and colours, I feel they colours you use don't belong together.
Thanks for your opinion!
Colors and the desktop wallpaper can be changed inside tho OS (color configuration dialog). You can customize a lot of things in the LongOS! Here is an example screenshot:
Spoiler
Also you can suggest your color combination and we will think about changing our default colors to yours.

Zudo's Photo Zudo 05 Oct 2013

Sexy :)

Blade88's Photo Blade88 05 Oct 2013

wow it seems to be very nice...

i will test it on my server!

TheOddByte's Photo TheOddByte 05 Oct 2013

Wow, I this OS is simply amazing!
I expected it to flicker a lot and run very slow but you managed it so it didn't, Great work!
+1

gamax92's Photo gamax92 06 Oct 2013

Wow, this is impressive!
I like the fact that an actual GUI system is used and that if an application crashes, it will handle the crash.
The level of customization is pretty nice.

LongOS running inside of LongOS, twice!
Posted Image
Since I'll be putting my issues as i find them, to prevent the post from getting long I've placed them in a spoiler tag.
Spoiler

Gvin's Photo Gvin 06 Oct 2013

View Postgamax92, on 06 October 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

Since I'll be putting my issues as i find them, to prevent the post from getting long I've placed them in a spoiler tag.

Thanks a lot for this issues reply! We will add them to the issues list and try to fix them as soon as possible.
Your explanation is full and constructive. Please continue to report about such things!

Gvin's Photo Gvin 07 Oct 2013

View Postgamax92, on 06 October 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

Here is our reaction on your issues report:
Spoiler

Because of such issues list the release date was moved to the 10/11/2013.

Gvin's Photo Gvin 08 Oct 2013

LongOS version 1.1 released!
Release title: File Browsing Release

PasteBin downloader and documentation links are updated!

Done in this release:
  • File browsing component (easy file browsing from any application)
  • Integrated updater (update the LongOS from the "About System" application)
  • Files icons (makes file browsing more visual)
  • Edit component update (you can now click on the text in it to change the cursor position)
Advanced change log:
Spoiler

We are composing new TODO list for the next version now. Feel free to suggest your enhancements!

theoriginalbit's Photo theoriginalbit 16 Oct 2013

Very nice work! Not only the best OS1 I've seen on the forums but that developer documentation! +1 to you sir, finally someone who really knows what they're doing.

Oh also, good job managing to fit digital boobs in a bikini on the Computer's small resolution xP

1 I'd go as far to call this an OS, as context I call the others "graphical shells" because they don't deserve the OS title, so hat off to you for getting that!

Gvin's Photo Gvin 22 Oct 2013

Looking for translators!
We have implemented multilocalization in LongOS v1.2 so now we are looking for translators!
If you know any common language (except for English) and want to participate please send a PM to me as soon as you can!

theoriginalbit's Photo theoriginalbit 22 Oct 2013

View PostGvin, on 22 October 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:

If you know any common language (except for English)
Not going to support EN_UK/EN_AU? only EN_US?

Gvin's Photo Gvin 22 Oct 2013

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 22 October 2013 - 05:08 AM, said:

View PostGvin, on 22 October 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:

If you know any common language (except for English)
Not going to support EN_UK/EN_AU? only EN_US?

Hmm, why not! LongOS can support any localization that are written using standard english letters and symbols. So if you like to create either en_UK or en_AU localization we will be glad to include it!