←  Operating Systems

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

OneOS Version 2 - The All in One Operating...

oeed's Photo oeed 19 May 2014

awsmazinggenius, on 18 May 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:

If that's the case, have you done things like making sure you don't have any redundant code, and creating aliases for commonly used functions like this:
tw = term.write
tw "this"
tw "that"
tw "another thing"
tw "more stuff"
tw "hhhhiiii"
As you can see, it is shorter than to write term.write each time

Well I prefer to keep my code easily readable. All my API and function names are full words, but as with minification I don't really want to sacrifice this.

For example:
Drawing.DrawBlankArea(1, 1, Drawing.Screen.Width, 3, colours.lightGrey)
Drawing.DrawBlankArea(1, 4, Drawing.Screen.Width, Drawing.Screen.Height-3, colours.white)

GravityScore's Photo GravityScore 19 May 2014

You could fetch each program off GitHub through HTTP each time you want to run it and loadstring it, to save you from having to write it to the filesystem :P

Note this is not an actual solution

skwerlman's Photo skwerlman 19 May 2014

GravityScore, on 19 May 2014 - 04:00 AM, said:

You could fetch each program off GitHub through HTTP each time you want to run it and loadstring it, to save you from having to write it to the filesystem :P

That looks like it would be lightning-fast*!

Not an actual solution? I think it'll work great!**

* Assuming that lightning was slower than a dead snail at absolute zero.
** Great in this context means 'very poorly'.

On a more serious note, what if you tried just regex-searching through your files, looking for "\n[ ]*" and replacing it with "\n"? (Without quotes, and the square brackets contain one space and one tab)
That'll remove indentation without affecting anything else. It won't save a ton of space, but it also won't affect readability too much.
Edited by skwerlman, 19 May 2014 - 07:50 AM.

apemanzilla's Photo apemanzilla 19 May 2014

skwerlman, on 19 May 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

GravityScore, on 19 May 2014 - 04:00 AM, said:

That looks like it would be lightning-fast*!

Not an actual solution? I think it'll work great!**

* Assuming that lightning was slower than a dead snail at absolute zero.
** Great in this context means 'very poorly'.

On a more serious note, what if you tried just regex-searching through your files, looking for "\n[ ]*" and replacing it with "\n"? (Without quotes, and the square brackets contain one space and one tab)
That'll remove indentation without affecting anything else. It won't save a ton of space, but it also won't affect readability too much.

Removing comments and extra newlines can help a lot too.

awsmazinggenius's Photo awsmazinggenius 19 May 2014

He wants to keep the line numbers. We still could have partial minification, though.

Lua.is.the.best's Photo Lua.is.the.best 22 May 2014

IsaacTBeast, on 12 March 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

You made ComputerCraft easily and I might say that this is amazing!! I am using your operating system for programming Isaac OS, OneOS is the modern OS for computercraft....
I also used OneOS as a codebase for NowOS, the GitHub is up, all I really need to do is create the installer.

oeed's Photo oeed 22 May 2014

Lua.is.the.best, on 22 May 2014 - 01:54 AM, said:

You made ComputerCraft easily and I might say that this is amazing!! I am using your operating system for programming Isaac OS, OneOS is the modern OS for computercraft....
I also used OneOS as a codebase for NowOS, the GitHub is up, all I really need to do is create the installer.

If you are basing something off OneOS I'd appreciate if you forked the repo rather than just reupload everything. Also a link would be good :)

Please also note that as per the license I do not permit distribution of derivative works without permission (you're welcome to put them on GitHub, but you'll need to ask before releasing on the forums.)

Please make sure you read the license in the main post.
Edited by oeed, 22 May 2014 - 03:05 AM.

Blue's Photo Blue 22 May 2014

Lua.is.the.best, on 22 May 2014 - 01:54 AM, said:

Is everybody going to create "OneOS clones" instead of "ndf-jay clones"? :P

Glass Systems, on 22 May 2014 - 05:13 AM, said:

Well, NDF-OS clones were based of a YouTube tutorial. If someone wants to essentially rewrite OneOS be my guess, I'll see you 4 months time :P

Just to reiterate, if you do want to make a derivative OS it's probably best to check with me first. If the forums becomes flooded with them I'm going to say no, it'll just make OneOS worthless.

apemanzilla's Photo apemanzilla 22 May 2014

oeed, on 22 May 2014 - 05:50 AM, said:

Well, NDF-OS clones were based of a YouTube tutorial. If someone wants to essentially rewrite OneOS be my guess, I'll see you 4 months time :P

Just to reiterate, if you do want to make a derivative OS it's probably best to check with me first. If the forums becomes flooded with them I'm going to say no, it'll just make OneOS worthless.
OneOS shall become the new Unix, and soon we'll have hundreds of different distros of OneOS systems :3

The5heep's Photo The5heep 22 May 2014

oeed, on 10 May 2014 - 01:25 AM, said:

awsmazinggenius, on 10 May 2014 - 12:17 AM, said:

I agree that indexing shouldn't be an issue - you wouldn't index system files and since those files are so big, you can't store much on the comp anyways. One thing I would like is that you keep folders off the springboard and instead you let us group our apps, like on iOS when you drag two apps together they become a group.
Yea, I thought about folders. I'll see what I can do.

skwerlman, on 10 May 2014 - 12:54 AM, said:

oeed, on 09 May 2014 - 11:33 PM, said:

As I said earlier, I'm still not 100% what Unity is (I'll try looking again), but the launchpad thing I'm using does have animations and they're fairly smooth. You can always just turn them off too.
Unity is like a combination of spotlight, the OSX dock, and windows' start menu, but as a sidebar. It's pretty, but I find it to be too heavy for my older rig, hence xubuntu.

Here's some links to pictures of it:
Ehh, I'm happy with what I've put in place. That's rather messy.

How is it messy? I think it would go along nicely with your 'one' and 'simple' theme. Also, could we compromise at least and put icons for the file types next to the files? Or next to the file names? Then I would be pleased. And you could still do the sidebar from unity, just have it reserved for opened programs (pretty much have an option to make the homebar on the side)... i would also like to see themes integrated, so you can download them to your computer from the appstore(kinda like an api, then i can write a unity thems *grins*)

apemanzilla, on 22 May 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

oeed, on 22 May 2014 - 05:50 AM, said:

Is everybody going to create "OneOS clones" instead of "ndf-jay clones"? :P/>

Well, NDF-OS clones were based of a YouTube tutorial. If someone wants to essentially rewrite OneOS be my guess, I'll see you 4 months time :P/>

OneOS shall become the new Unix, and soon we'll have hundreds of different distros of OneOS systems :3

>:D/>

and i believe you meant LINUX MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Also, oeed, if you want i can try to write an api for the themes... i could probebly do it, then i can send it to you and if you approve, it could be added
Edited by Lyqyd, 22 May 2014 - 09:11 PM.

The5heep, on 22 May 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

oeed, on 10 May 2014 - 01:25 AM, said:

--snip--

How is it messy? I think it would go along nicely with your 'one' and 'simple' theme. Also, could we compromise at least and put icons for the file types next to the files? Or next to the file names? Then I would be pleased. And you could still do the sidebar from unity, just have it reserved for opened programs (pretty much have an option to make the homebar on the side)... i would also like to see themes integrated, so you can download them to your computer from the appstore(kinda like an api, then i can write a unity thems *grins*)

Also, oeed, if you want i can try to write an api for the themes... i could probebly do it, then i can send it to you and if you approve, it could be added

I don't know, I just find it messy. I've implemented a similar search feature for which you can find screenshots above.

I'm not really sure what themes would change.

You can already change your desktop background.

The menu bar colour is set by other programs in most cases, what's there to change?

skwerlman's Photo skwerlman 23 May 2014

I know you were considering adding a web browser to OneOS, and I was wondering if maybe this would work well. (Once its a bit more stable, of course.) It's rather powerful, and the ability to run a server underneath OneOS seems pretty similar to how MacOSX comes with apache built in. The browser itself is only ~10kb, and so far as I know, there's only one browser bug (and I've already proposed a fix). Also, the browser's GUI looks really nice when run under OneOS:
Spoiler

EDIT: Found a OneOS bug: If you try to rename a folder using Files' Rename... menu option, Files crashes, saying: 'startup:702: Can't move a directory inside itself.'
This seems to happen with all folders. I'm honestly surprised no one's found it, since it's a pretty serious bug. This is in OneOS 1.1.1.

Also, the license is still opening in LuaIDE...
Edited by skwerlman, 23 May 2014 - 07:15 AM.

The5heep's Photo The5heep 23 May 2014

oeed, on 22 May 2014 - 09:38 PM, said:

The menu bar colour is set by other programs in most cases, what's there to change?

Themes could change the position of the bar, and multiple different defaults(Default background(s), default menu bar colour for programs that don’t have it set), also change the icon looks, position of (X) button on the bar(and to disable it entirely), search bar colours and position of stuff(And ability to put icons next to files), and how the bar can be interacted with). I'm sure people would love to have it :D

if you add themes like that, then you wouldn't have to worry about the look because then it would change drasticly for every user LIKE EVERY GOOD LINUX DISTRO!
Edited by The5heep, 23 May 2014 - 08:37 AM.

oeed's Photo oeed 23 May 2014

skwerlman, on 23 May 2014 - 05:43 AM, said:

I know you were considering adding a web browser to OneOS, and I was wondering if maybe this would work well. (Once its a bit more stable, of course.) It's rather powerful, and the ability to run a server underneath OneOS seems pretty similar to how MacOSX comes with apache built in. The browser itself is only ~10kb, and so far as I know, there's only one browser bug (and I've already proposed a fix). Also, the browser's GUI looks really nice when run under OneOS:
Spoiler

EDIT: Found a OneOS bug: If you try to rename a folder using Files' Rename... menu option, Files crashes, saying: 'startup:702: Can't move a directory inside itself.'
This seems to happen with all folders. I'm honestly surprised no one's found it, since it's a pretty serious bug. This is in OneOS 1.1.1.

Also, the license is still opening in LuaIDE...
Well, if I do include a "web browser" that isn't one I make it will be Firewolf, all the others have little difference and don't work as well.

I believe I've fixed the folder rename issue, but I'll double check.
I also believe the license should open in Ink as of 1.2 now.

The5heep, on 23 May 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

oeed, on 22 May 2014 - 09:38 PM, said:

Themes could change the position of the bar, and multiple different defaults(Default background(s), default menu bar colour for programs that don’t have it set), also change the icon looks, position of (X) button on the bar(and to disable it entirely), search bar colours and position of stuff(And ability to put icons next to files), and how the bar can be interacted with). I'm sure people would love to have it :D

if you add themes like that, then you wouldn't have to worry about the look because then it would change drasticly for every user LIKE EVERY GOOD LINUX DISTRO!
Well, I might. But I did design the interface with the intent to look as good and work as well as possible, so themes would probably result in a loss in either.

The5heep's Photo The5heep 23 May 2014

I don't think Themes would result in a loss. I think they would provide users with neat looks ,that fit their specific needs and wants. Not a loss at all, dear sir, in fact, it's a great gain on you and the consumers part!

You should also put out dev builds to a certain group of people to beta test the next update before it comes out...save yourself a lot of time and trouble :D/>

WTF my other post disappeared....?!?!?
Edited by Lyqyd, 23 May 2014 - 04:37 PM.

Lyqyd's Photo Lyqyd 23 May 2014

Don't include enormously long unbroken lines of text that continue outside of the post area and stretch the screen. Perhaps then the post won't disappear.

Konlab's Photo Konlab 23 May 2014

oeed, on 18 May 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

Geforce Fan, on 18 May 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

Hey, one major issue right now is that OneOS takes up a MASSIVE amount of space. It doesn't give you enough room for your own programs. I'm not sure how you'd fix this, but I'm just saying. I've ran below 50KB before. I had to delete the default games-- I fear next update I will have no space left!
If it auto-updates, I hope it won't delete the project I've been working on, don't have any backups.
Also there is a major memory leak or something in About OneOS. It lags the computer to a halt if left open.
In terms of free space, I've really tried to free it up as much as I can. The games are no longer downloaded by default, instead there is a program which asks if you want to install it.

It does ask you if you want to update, but to be safe back your stuff up. If you edited any system files then they will be overwritten.

Edit the cc's config file: there is computer's max storage limit and upgrade it to 500 KB or 1 MB (500 000 bytes/1 000 000 bytes)
Or you can run the games from pastebin, too.

Saldor010's Photo Saldor010 23 May 2014

Konlab, on 23 May 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

-snipped the never ending quotes-

Edit the cc's config file: there is computer's max storage limit and upgrade it to 500 KB or 1 MB (500 000 bytes/1 000 000 bytes)
Or you can run the games from pastebin, too.

Actually, the way bytes work, is instead of "upgrading" at 1000, they upgrade in increments of 1024. So it is more like 512,000/1,024,000 bytes. Sorry, I just had to point that out :P

Lyqyd's Photo Lyqyd 23 May 2014

512,000 bytes to 500kB is correct, but 1MB is 1024kB, or 1,048,576 bytes.