←  Operating Systems

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

OneOS Version 2 - The All in One Operating...

Saldor010's Photo Saldor010 23 May 2014

Lyqyd, on 23 May 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

512,000 bytes to 500kB is correct, but 1MB is 1024kB, or 1,048,576 bytes.

Ohh I see what I did. I just automatically assumed that 500kB was half of 1024kB. ... I'm a moron :lol:

oeed's Photo oeed 24 May 2014

The5heep, on 23 May 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

I don't think Themes would result in a loss. I think they would provide users with neat looks ,that fit their specific needs and wants. Not a loss at all, dear sir, in fact, it's a great gain on you and the consumers part!

You should also put out dev builds to a certain group of people to beta test the next update before it comes out...save yourself a lot of time and trouble :D/>

WTF my other post disappeared....?!?!?
I've deicded that I won't be adding themes, I might add image backgrounds depending on how they look though.

Dev Builds are something I might look in to actually.

Konlab, on 23 May 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

Edit the cc's config file: there is computer's max storage limit and upgrade it to 500 KB or 1 MB (500 000 bytes/1 000 000 bytes)
Or you can run the games from pastebin, too.
Forcing users to edit their config isn't a viable option, I'd rather delete stuff I didn't need. It just complicates the install process.
Edited by oeed, 24 May 2014 - 12:04 AM.

skwerlman's Photo skwerlman 24 May 2014

oeed, on 24 May 2014 - 12:03 AM, said:

That's a really good idea.

Also, I just had a thought. What if there was a way to add 'tags' to files and folders? Like how in MacOSX you can tag something as red and it's name will be highlighted in red. This shouldn't be too hard to implement using Lyqyd's metadata format.
Edited by skwerlman, 24 May 2014 - 01:01 AM.

oeed's Photo oeed 24 May 2014

skwerlman, on 24 May 2014 - 01:00 AM, said:

oeed, on 24 May 2014 - 12:03 AM, said:

That's a really good idea.

Also, I just had a thought. What if there was a way to add 'tags' to files and folders? Like how in MacOSX you can tag something as red and it's name will be highlighted in red. This shouldn't be too hard to implement using Lyqyd's metadata format.

Yea I'll start working on dev builds today.

I may, however, not be able to release dev builds for 1.2 (at least initially). The way dev builds will work is they'll be flagged as a pre-release, but I'm pretty sure the current auto-updater will ignore this.

If Lydqd's metadata format does end up getting put in to OneOS (which is very likely) I'll probably add tags. It'll probably just be colours though, not 'Home', 'Work', etc.
Edited by oeed, 24 May 2014 - 01:41 AM.

oeed's Photo oeed 25 May 2014

Just thought I'd update everyone on another feature I'm adding to 1.2

It's essentially a base controller... thingy.

I've been playing on Cranium's server quite a bit and wanted to make a base control system. After spending about 20 minutes make one in-game I realised that I may as well just make it for OneOS.

So it's got an Applied Energistics monitor.
Posted Image

A resource (fluids and energy) monitor.
Posted Image
You can rename or hide certain resources too. I've added the colours for about 31 fluids (Railcraft, Thermal Expansion, BuildCraft and a few more.) At the moment Railcraft Iron & Steel tanks, BuildCraft tanks and OpenBlock tanks are supported, but I'll try to support as many as possible.

A switch panel which I'm yet to add and maybe something else.

At the moment it's called Inspector, but the names is the original name I was using for something that evolved in to this. I'm thinking Control Centre, but I'm not too sure.

Obviously, the first two need OpenPeripheral to work (an of course Applied Energistics for the items tab).

Suggestions welcome.
Edited by oeed, 25 May 2014 - 05:18 AM.

awsmazinggenius's Photo awsmazinggenius 25 May 2014

Will it work standalone, too? Also, personally I'd go for a slightly lighter color scheme, with the menu bar being light grey, the buttons on the menu bar being white, the main background being dark grey (instead of black) and the background for the resource monitor "progress bars" having a black background, if you get my point. Also, will this be another optional download from the App Store, because of the issue of storage space?

awsmazinggenius, on 25 May 2014 - 05:47 AM, said:

Will it work standalone, too? Also, personally I'd go for a slightly lighter color scheme, with the menu bar being light grey, the buttons on the menu bar being white, the main background being dark grey (instead of black) and the background for the resource monitor "progress bars" having a black background, if you get my point. Also, will this be another optional download from the App Store, because of the issue of storage space?

I might make it standalone, although the amount of OneOS APIs included makes that a little harder:
OneOS.LoadAPI('/System/API/Drawing.lua')
OneOS.LoadAPI('/System/API/Button.lua')
OneOS.LoadAPI('/System/API/Helpers.lua')
OneOS.LoadAPI('/System/API/Peripheral.lua')
OneOS.LoadAPI('/System/API/ScrollBar.lua')
OneOS.LoadAPI('/System/API/Menu.lua')
OneOS.LoadAPI('/System/API/TextInput.lua')
OneOS.LoadAPI('/System/API/ButtonDialogueWindow.lua')
OneOS.LoadAPI('/System/API/TextDialogueWindow.lua')

I'll try that colour scheme out and see how well it works.

No, it won't be an optional download, it's only 8KB at the moment and probably won't be too much more.

The games are optional because they're rather large (over 30KB) due to all the levels/maps included.
Edited by oeed, 25 May 2014 - 06:33 AM.

skwerlman's Photo skwerlman 25 May 2014

oeed, on 25 May 2014 - 05:08 AM, said:

Just thought I'd update everyone on another feature I'm adding to 1.2

It's essentially a base controller... thingy.

I've been playing on Cranium's server quite a bit and wanted to make a base control system. After spending about 20 minutes make one in-game I realised that I may as well just make it for OneOS.

So it's got an Applied Energistics monitor.
Posted Image

A resource (fluids and energy) monitor.
Posted Image
You can rename or hide certain resources too. I've added the colours for about 31 fluids (Railcraft, Thermal Expansion, BuildCraft and a few more.) At the moment Railcraft Iron & Steel tanks, BuildCraft tanks and OpenBlock tanks are supported, but I'll try to support as many as possible.

A switch panel which I'm yet to add and maybe something else.

At the moment it's called Inspector, but the names is the original name I was using for something that evolved in to this. I'm thinking Control Centre, but I'm not too sure.

Obviously, the first two need OpenPeripheral to work (an of course Applied Energistics for the items tab).

Suggestions welcome.
That looks really cool! Nice work! Will the computer need to be connected to each of the devices, or can it ask other OneOS machines what they're connected to?

awsmazinggenius's Photo awsmazinggenius 25 May 2014

If it already needs OpenP to work, could you somehow implement those Terminal Glasses? I did it with a nice UI back when FTB Unleashed was like the newest modpack, except that was when I wasn't so good at CC, so the peripherals were all hardcoded into the program and the code is a rat's nest. When I get home, I could make screenshots/a video of the UI I made for that though, if I still have that world, which I believe I at least have a suitable backup of.

skwerlman, on 25 May 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

That looks really cool! Nice work! Will the computer need to be connected to each of the devices, or can it ask other OneOS machines what they're connected to?
At the moment they have to either be place on a side or connected via a modem. But yes, I'll try to figure out a way to easily allow wireless setups.

awsmazinggenius, on 25 May 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

If it already needs OpenP to work, could you somehow implement those Terminal Glasses? I did it with a nice UI back when FTB Unleashed was like the newest modpack, except that was when I wasn't so good at CC, so the peripherals were all hardcoded into the program and the code is a rat's nest. When I get home, I could make screenshots/a video of the UI I made for that though, if I still have that world, which I believe I at least have a suitable backup of.
Yea a few screenshots would be good.

awsmazinggenius's Photo awsmazinggenius 26 May 2014

Also, will this work with fluids in ExtraCells (AE Addon) Fluid Storage Disks? That's the main way I store fluids.
EDIT: Downloaded PearOS from the App Store in OneOS. OS-Ception:
Posted Image
Edited by awsmazinggenius, 26 May 2014 - 10:38 PM.

skwerlman's Photo skwerlman 26 May 2014

awsmazinggenius, on 26 May 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

-snip-
It's like a VM!

oeed's Photo oeed 27 May 2014

awsmazinggenius, on 26 May 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

Also, will this work with fluids in ExtraCells (AE Addon) Fluid Storage Disks? That's the main way I store fluids.
EDIT: Downloaded PearOS from the App Store in OneOS. OS-Ception:
--snip--

I'll look in to those two mods. Are they stored as AE items rather than tanks?

vargaszm's Photo vargaszm 27 May 2014

IT WORKS!!!!!

apemanzilla's Photo apemanzilla 27 May 2014

oeed, on 25 May 2014 - 06:29 AM, said:

I might make it standalone, although the amount of OneOS APIs included makes that a little harder:

No, it won't be an optional download, it's only 8KB at the moment and probably won't be too much more.

The games are optional because they're rather large (over 30KB) due to all the levels/maps included.
I would make it an optional download simply because it requires Open Peripheral, and I'm sure many people don't have it available for one reason or another.

vargaszm's Photo vargaszm 27 May 2014

I'm so impressed by this OS. I'm new and haven't coded for fun since TI basic in high school. My stuff isn't nearly as impressive, and was actually meant for teaching kids programming. It's so awesome that i can show them something like this is out there and i love that it integrates the community.

Anyway, i'd love to be on the app store. Let me know what if i can make that happen somehow. http://pastebin.com/u/mrturtle

apemanzilla's Photo apemanzilla 27 May 2014

vargaszm, on 27 May 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

I'm so impressed by this OS. I'm new and haven't coded for fun since TI basic in high school. My stuff isn't nearly as impressive, and was actually meant for teaching kids programming. It's so awesome that i can show them something like this is out there and i love that it integrates the community.

Anyway, i'd love to be on the app store. Let me know what if i can make that happen somehow. http://pastebin.com/u/mrturtle

http://ccappstore.com

awsmazinggenius's Photo awsmazinggenius 28 May 2014

If you want to delete .DS_Stores to save space, then you could be deleting a bunch of other crap, too. For decent lists of system files, I actually normally use the git ignores in the GitHub repo github/gitignore . Go to the global folder, and take a good look at the "OSX.gitignore" and "Windows.gitignore" as those are the two main OSs MC players will use and they both create a good amount of crap.

skwerlman's Photo skwerlman 28 May 2014

apemanzilla, on 27 May 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

oeed, on 25 May 2014 - 06:29 AM, said:

I would make it an optional download simply because it requires Open Peripheral, and I'm sure many people don't have it available for one reason or another.
Even if someone doesn't have OP, it shouldn't break, since all that'll happen is it won't find any OP peripherals, so it won't wrap them. It won't stop working, it'll just have fewer features.

PumpkinHero's Photo PumpkinHero 28 May 2014

Oeed , Why do not you add the BIOS in your operating system? That we could immediately be loaded from disk. Like in
Spoiler
. And it would look quite interesting if the BIOS was like Ami Bios
]