Ultimate Door Lock - PDA Opened Doors!

99 replies to this topic

#1 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

Now, you may be thinking, "oeed, why are you of all people making a door lock - something normally made by first-time users." Well, the answer is quite simple really, Pocket Computers now have wireless modems. This means door locks without having to actually do anything :D So, I after noticing that Dan added modems I jumped straight in and started working on it earlier today and it's turned out pretty nice. There's only one file, it detects whether the computer is a pocket computer and runs the appropriate system.

Screenshots

Installation
Obviously, you'll need the latest 1.6 pre-release, so make sure you install that first.

Then, on the computer that attaches to the door/redstone wire run:
pastebin get 4QeAEiTM startup

Attach a wireless modem to any side of the computer, then just reboot.

To register a pocket computer all you need to do is attach a disk drive to the computer then pop an advanced wireless pocket computer in to the slot. It will automatically install the software and set it up.

More Info
As more 1.6 features are released I'll add try to add them, beeping and vibrating are rumoured, so I'll probably add those.
In the next release of OneOS this will be integrated in to the OS. If you have OneOS running on your PDA you can use it as a door key without having to keep any program running, it will happen in the background.

This has probably still got a few bugs here and there, if you find any or have a suggestion let me know!

Edited by oeed, 22 April 2014 - 08:11 AM.

#2 TheOddByte

Lazy Coder

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

Wow this seems pretty cool, Now I just need to download the 1.6 pre-release and test this! :D

#3 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

Fixed a blindingly obvious bug where the redstone signal would only come out the bottom.

#4 GravityScore

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationLand of Meh

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Been a while since I clicked on a link to a door lock program! :P Great job, looks awesome. Time to test it out.

#5 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

What if you are killed in PvP, and someone grabs your PDA when you drop your stuff? Also, does this require advanced computers? (I only took a tiny look at the source). If so, you should port it to normal computers (press r to register a PDA, for example) because those are cheaper to craft.

Also, about the PDA death issue, if you choose to use an RFID or Mag-Strip card to log on (I ditched awsmazingOS before the PDAs, even the ones with no modems, and if you use terminal glasses, your username can be checked), awsmazingOS will occasionally ask you for a password to ensure security. I recommend you implement something similar, as well as require a password to register/delete PDAs, as there are people that don't know any better than to put the computer right next to their door like a normal door lock.

#6 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 23 March 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

What if you are killed in PvP, and someone grabs your PDA when you drop your stuff? Also, does this require advanced computers? (I only took a tiny look at the source). If so, you should port it to normal computers (press r to register a PDA, for example) because those are cheaper to craft.

Also, about the PDA death issue, if you choose to use an RFID or Mag-Strip card to log on (I ditched awsmazingOS before the PDAs, even the ones with no modems, and if you use terminal glasses, your username can be checked), awsmazingOS will occasionally ask you for a password to ensure security. I recommend you implement something similar, as well as require a password to register/delete PDAs, as there are people that don't know any better than to put the computer right next to their door like a normal door lock.
As there's no way to detect if it switches owner you'd have to unregister all of the PDAs then make a new one.
I do agree that a non advanced option should be available, I'll try to get that done this week, at the very least the PDA version will not require colour. The problem with the door computer is that it will probably need quite a bit of recoding to work on a black and white screen.

I'll think about the password. It just adds a level of confusion, that's all.

#7 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:05 AM

Also, when you add a new PDA, it would be nice if you could give it a name for the list, so that you could delete individual PDA's. Say if. I got killed and dropped my tablet, then another friend on the server could delete my PDA while keeping everyone else's intact.

#8 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:02 AM

View Postawsmazinggenius, on 24 March 2014 - 06:05 AM, said:

Also, when you add a new PDA, it would be nice if you could give it a name for the list, so that you could delete individual PDA's. Say if. I got killed and dropped my tablet, then another friend on the server could delete my PDA while keeping everyone else's intact.

I see what you mean. How would you name them though? I'll think about it.

#9 CometWolf

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

Logically you would name it the same as your username :P

#10 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

View PostCometWolf, on 24 March 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

Logically you would name it the same as your username :P
It just makes the setup process harder really, if I find a public 1.6 server I'll try it out there and see if there's a need.

Update 1 Released

This update adds support for non-advanced computers. Both PDAs and computers will work with out colour screens. This is the first time I've actually made a non-advanced computer GUI, so it's been a bit of an experiment to get it working at an acceptable level of usability. The key in square brackets is they key you press to click the button.
Posted Image

There may be a few bugs related to this, if you do find anything let me know.

#11 apemanzilla

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

I feel like the "opening distance" settings should be Close, Normal, and Far instead of Small, Normal, and Far. Might just be me :P

#12 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

View PostApemanzilla, on 24 March 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

I feel like the "opening distance" settings should be Close, Normal, and Far instead of Small, Normal, and Far. Might just be me :P

I think that technically both are proper grammar, so really you could use either, unless there is something that I am missing.
"A small distance from here."
"Close to here."

#13 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

View PostApemanzilla, on 24 March 2014 - 01:03 PM, said:

I did actually have close to start with, but I decided to change it to small due the the possibility of confusion with close as in close the program. Might be going a bit too far there, however.

#14 awsmazinggenius

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

How about "Short"? If Apemanzilla wants a change, that should please him, and it doesn't cause confusion, either.

#15 Lego Stax

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationThe dark depths of the web

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:13 AM

This is the first time that I have EVER clicked on a door opening program. It looks very useful, especially with a large piston door. I like the GUI and the fact that it's easy to use for anyone. I just HAVE to check this out!

#16 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:29 AM

View Postcutyehair104, on 25 March 2014 - 03:13 AM, said:

This is the first time that I have EVER clicked on a door opening program. It looks very useful, especially with a large piston door. I like the GUI and the fact that it's easy to use for anyone. I just HAVE to check this out!

Thanks!

#17 Lego Stax

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

View Postoeed, on 25 March 2014 - 03:29 AM, said:

Thanks!
You're welcome. I was looking through your code (I'm not even close to a pro at Lua), and I was wondering, how do you actually send messages with the pocket computer? What I think that I'm seeing in there is interfacing with the modem using the modem API. Is there any other way to do this? And if this is the only way, how exactly would I use it? Please pardon me for being a very dumb coder.

Edited by cutyehair104, 25 March 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#18 Csstform

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

Vibration!!!

Im currently envisioning 2 players reading some signs, when one starts jiggling.... the other is like: "Dude, too much sugar?" Meanwhile, the first guy is like, "My screen is shaking so much, I cant find my dang PC!!"

Or, you are just chatting on skype, when *ding*. What the heck was that!!!!

#19 oeed

Oversimplifier

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

View Postcutyehair104, on 25 March 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

View Postoeed, on 25 March 2014 - 03:29 AM, said:

Thanks!
You're welcome. I was looking through your code (I'm not even close to a pro at Lua), and I was wondering, how do you actually send messages with the pocket computer? What I think that I'm seeing in there is interfacing with the modem using the modem API. Is there any other way to do this? And if this is the only way, how exactly would I use it? Please pardon me for being a very dumb coder.
I copied out the Wireless and Peripheral APIs out of OneOS, they just make everything a lot more simple. Basically, the door computer sends out a message containing 'Ping!'. Every PDA running the program in range will then send back their 'fingerprint', a random string generated when the first turn the program on or register it. If the door computer has that finger print on file and the PDA is within the set distance it will open the door. I may be taking a too simplified approach in my explanation, as it's not really about the code but more how it work, but let me know if you want more clarification.

View PostCsstform, on 25 March 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

Vibration!!!

Im currently envisioning 2 players reading some signs, when one starts jiggling.... the other is like: "Dude, too much sugar?" Meanwhile, the first guy is like, "My screen is shaking so much, I cant find my dang PC!!"

Or, you are just chatting on skype, when *ding*. What the heck was that!!!!
I know Dan was planning to add pocket.vibrate and pocket.beep (or something along those lines), has he done that yet or is it still a maybe?

#20 Lego Stax

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:48 PM

-snip-
Yeah, I'm sorry, I guess I still don't understand exactly how you do it. Are you interfacing with the wireless modem directly? Is there any easier way to do this? I know that I tried using Rednet, as I thought that it would work, to no avail. Should I use the peripheral API instead and interface directly? Perhaps the modem API? Thank you SOOOO much for your help. You are literally the only person helpful! I've found no documentation anywhere regarding pocket computers except for in your programs. Did some more digging in your Wireless 'class' and I figured it out. Thank you SOOOOO much for your help! It is much appreciated.

oeed said:

I know Dan was planning to add pocket.vibrate and pocket.beep (or something along those lines), has he done that yet or is it still a maybe?
On his Twitter, he stated that he liked the idea, although I tried it in the most recent update, pr7, it does not work. I don't know if he's going to put it in either.

Edited by cutyehair104, 25 March 2014 - 11:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users