←  Operating Systems

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

NinOS 0.3 Beta One

Nintendopup's Photo Nintendopup 13 Jun 2014

Posted Image

0.3 Beta One

Hello. I'm new here, and, well, this is the OS that I've created. It's my first OS that uses more than just a simple startup program. I've designed the OS the be focused on being smooth, easy to use, and fast. Using a custom UI API (I'll talk more about that later), I've made smooth animations that look great and are very easy to create. Built into the OS are also some very useful utilities that help to deliver a quality user experience.

With the above said, I'll just jump right in to talking about what NinOS is. It is not the most advanced OS, as it is in its early stages of development. I have, however, been working very hard on getting rid of bugs and making everything be as seamless as possible. I'll be updating the OS as much as possible, and I'll try my best to add any feature suggestions that the members of this forum make. I am aware that NinOS is not the most feature-rich OS (by far), but I will do my best to continue to improve upon it.

Install
Downloading the Installer:
pastebin get fD2PU1f6 Installer
Once downloaded, run the installer!

About
NinOS is a Lua-based (Of course) operating system. It uses custom APIs to create a great and enjoyable user experience. By using these APIs, NinOS is smart enough to know when a backup is needed. It's smart enough to know if an app would like a restart. It's even smart enough to tell you when the newest version of the operating system is available*. The idea behind NinOS is to first have the core elements put down, such as the APIs, and then build the rest of the OS around the core elements. In this way, the OS can be its own.* Backups are not currently managed by the OS, but you can create a backup folder yourself and place it in the core/apis folder. The OS, right now, is able to tell you that you should have a backup file when you don't have one. Once you have one, the OS will no longer remind you -- until you need it again.

Features
Spoiler

Images
Spoiler

Troubleshooting
Spoiler

Developer
Spoiler

Coming Soon
Spoiler

Changelog
Spoiler

Known Bugs In Current Version
Spoiler

So, what do all of you think? I plan to keep this updated with the latest news and updates about the OS for as long as possible. New features will constantly be under development, so please, stay tuned! Please suggest anything you'd like, it would help in the creation of the project. This is also my first post on these forums, so please, let me know if/what I've done incorrectly or if something could be made better.

Thanks for reading,
- Nin
Edited by Nintendopup, 11 July 2015 - 07:47 PM.

Skraay's Photo Skraay 13 Jun 2014

Looks cool, going to check it out right now :)
Still buggy looks like, and a lot of coming soon.
But I'm impressed by the professionalism your OS actually has client-side at least (I didn't look at the code, don't feel like it).
Maybe if you plan on having more advanced settings you could also have an option to disable the bootscreen which in the end is just there for the looks.
Also, your reader is kinda bugged out, when I tried reading the second file by default, it kept writing text til the end and I couldn't click anything until it was done, and when changing theme, since it must re-write, it re-writes the all thing and I have to wait for it to finish again. (I suppose that's for testing, for actual timed writing and such, so I don't mind too much).

But yeah, overall, looks very promising, keep it up :)
Edited by Skraay, 13 June 2014 - 08:11 PM.

Blue's Photo Blue 13 Jun 2014

Wow a new user that hasen't made an ndf-jay copy!The design is awesome!+1 to you.
Edited by Glass Systems, 14 June 2014 - 06:41 AM.

Thanks for the advice so far!

I do plan on having options for he boot screen. As of now, it is definitely for looks. I plan to have users be able to change many visual aspects of the os, from displaying the boot screen to having full control of colors (In the home screen, lock screen, text, app icons, select apps, ext). I also plan to add a login system, which will also have the ability to be disabled.

Also, the second book is just (sort of) a test for now. It'll be changed with the next update. Honestly, that was created way back when I learned how to use loops. Since then, I just kept the book there for various tests (Mostly involving the theme switcher).

Lastly, I didn't want to be like everyone else and create and NDF-J copy :P . Instead, I tried to go for Windows 8. I decided later that I could actually make the design look really nice on the scale of ComputerCraft.

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback so far! I'll be sure to keep you updated!

- Nin

Win7yes's Photo Win7yes 13 Jun 2014

Looks very Windows 8 like!
Although is missing a desktop...
That brings me to this:

Suggestion: Desktop

A Windows 8.1 like desktop or maybe a simple desktop where you can have shortcuts and folders.
Maybe with a "Start" like button somewhere
Edited by Win7yes, 13 June 2014 - 09:09 PM.

Wolfie's Photo Wolfie 13 Jun 2014

Very nice! I like it!

View PostWin7yes, on 13 June 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

Looks very Windows 8 like!
Although is missing a desktop...
That brings me to this:

Suggestion: Desktop

That will most likely be something I add later. I'd first like to get the normal home screen working (along with the apps accessible from it) before anything else. While I'm doing that, I plan on building up the APIs I'm using to allow for things such as a desktop or, possibly (as in no promises) multitasking. The next update is coming along nicely, and it will bring me a step closer to being able to make the desktop. Thanks for the suggestion!

- Nin

Win7yes's Photo Win7yes 13 Jun 2014

Another Thing(s): Maybe a Password locking thing for the computer and something else I forgot xD
Edit: I remembered! The Check for Updates of the info program just makes the program close and the Update Notification from the System Center just close System Center
Edited by Win7yes, 13 June 2014 - 10:01 PM.

View PostWin7yes, on 13 June 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

The Check for Updates of the info program just makes the program close and the Update Notification from the System Center just close System Center

Sorry about that bug! I've fixed this now, so go ahead and run the installer once more and it should be fixed. This bug gets a special quick-fix due to being relatively the most important bug that exists right now.

Thanks for finding the bug!

- Nin

Lignum's Photo Lignum 13 Jun 2014

This is sadly one of the very few operating systems that are actually decent. I have to say: Good job on this! Especially the animations are great, even though I think some of them could be a bit shorter (the System Centre in particular). However, it doesn't have much functionality. You can't really do anything and you have to rely on CraftOS to do the simplest of things, like running a program. It also is in need of a proper GUI system because the text editor, for example, is pretty much just read() and then control is passed over to edit.

But I do see potential in this, so good luck with the project!

johnnic's Photo johnnic 13 Jun 2014

Does the "disapprove instant restart" option have it remind you you have to restart later? If not, that might be good to add

Nintendopup's Photo Nintendopup 14 Jun 2014

View Postjohnnic, on 13 June 2014 - 11:41 PM, said:

Does the "disapprove instant restart" option have it remind you you have to restart later? If not, that might be good to add

Yes. When you disapprove an instant restart, a notification is made and will be displayed on the lock screen.

- Nin

Blue's Photo Blue 14 Jun 2014

Suggestion:When you exit the shell,you should be able to get back to the OS.

TableCraft0R's Photo TableCraft0R 14 Jun 2014

Wow! Windows 8, Android and MacOS Operating Systems Exists now in this forums!

oeed's Photo oeed 14 Jun 2014

This looks really nice!

I like the animation, although it could probably be a bit quicker.

You also might want to use NFT for the icons, it will allow more detail in the tiles.

Nintendopup's Photo Nintendopup 14 Jun 2014

View Postoeed, on 14 June 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

I like the animation, although it could probably be a bit quicker.

You also might want to use NFT for the icons, it will allow more detail in the tiles.

I've made the animations quicker throughout most of the OS in the next update, which will be released within the next few days. As for the icons, I haven't decided what I'll do. I may just create each icon individually, allowing the user to choose between opening-animation styles. The choice would be something along the lines of "cascade", "build", or "none". "Cascade" would be as it is now, "build" would be along the lines of the animations in System Center (which have been quickened in the new update), and "none" would be no animation at all. If I can do all of this with NFT, then I might, but I'm unsure at this point. For right now, I may just leave them as is while I try to add more features.

In other news, the new update improves many things. I've decided to not have a "coming in the next update" section in the OP due to the stress it caused (I don't like feeling rushed). It's not that I don't expect those things to come within the next update or within the update after that, but it seemed to put unneeded pressure on me. Hope you guys aren't offended, but I think this will benefit the OS in the end :) . The next update itself, as of right now, improves animations, adds the help app, adds the time app, has more books, fixes a few bugs, enhances the updater, and more. There'll be more by the time it's released, but this is the current status of it.

Thanks for all the advice! (And thanks for looking at the OS in the first place :P )

- Nin

Nintendopup's Photo Nintendopup 15 Jun 2014

Version 0.2 Beta 3 Release

Features:

Login system:
You're now able to set a password, enable and disable it, and login with it. Using a settings app, all this is remarkably easy. By default, the password is "Nintendo", and is off. To change the password, simply open up the settings app (from the menu) and click "Change Password". To turn the password on, all you have to to is click on the slider, which at first says 'off" and has a red dot. Once you click it, the text will change to "on" and a green dot will appear.

Multitasking:
With the newest update, NinOS now supports multitasking. Now, when you click the "-" in the top-right corner, a tab opens with CraftOS. NinOS is still there, though, just in a different tab. You can switch between the both. Everything has been adjusted to work with both in non-multitasking and in multitasking mode, so content is always viewable. And NinOS is always useable. If you have more than just NinOS open, some apps, such as Time, will open in a new tab -- just to make things a little easier. More coming soon...

Additions to APIS:
With this update, I've introduced new abilities into the APIs that make NinOS so great.

New Additions To UIKit:

UIAppDrop(appBg)
This is an easy way to form the colored drop-down animation that occurs upon opening apps.

centerBanner(appBg)
This creates a UI like that of an instant restart request. Made easy to make.

New Additions To Core API:

fixScreen()
This will simply prepare the screen for going in and out of multitasking.

Other Features In This Update:
- Functional Help App
- Functional Time App
- More open user-configuration
- Time app opens in new tab if you're already using more than one tab
- Real-time using TimeAPI.org
- Additions to core API
- Quicker animations
- Fixed bug where the second book in Reader was just a loop that displayed dots
- New "Runner" book

Spoiler

Hope you all like the update! I'll be working hard on the next update, which should be released in a few days.

- Nin
Edited by Nintendopup, 15 June 2014 - 05:41 PM.

cobdor7's Photo cobdor7 19 Jun 2014

I tried running it and I everything went fine until the end where I received a "startup:8: attempt to index ? (a nil value)" Can you tell me what I did wrong?

Nintendopup's Photo Nintendopup 19 Jun 2014

View Postcobdor7, on 19 June 2014 - 02:22 AM, said:

I tried running it and I everything went fine until the end where I received a "startup:8: attempt to index ? (a nil value)" Can you tell me what I did wrong?

Hm, I'm not entirely sure what's going on there. On line eight, I'm setting a local variable to multishell.getCurrent(), which simply makes it easier to reference the opened tab in multishell... The issue is most likely caused by a strange multishell bug, but perhaps not. Can you tell me the steps you took (if you remember) to get the error? If you don't encounter it again, I'd say it was just an odd bug :/ If you can find it, I'll try my best to fix it!

CometWolf's Photo CometWolf 19 Jun 2014

He's probably not on 1.6, hence the attempt to index nil when attempting to index multishell.