←  Suggestions

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

The Massive Minecart Thread

Xfel's Photo Xfel 05 Jun 2012

[I've hijacked this thread and used it to contain all six or seven of the existing "please do something involving minecarts and computers" idea threads. Treat this similarly to the PDA thread. All discussion goes here. -L]

What about a minecart with a computer inside? It would be powered (like turtles) and could control it's direction/speed. It also would interact with the railcraft api and be able to link/unlink to other carts, look into their inventories and (though very optionally) be able to write a message that would be displayed to all passengers in the train. It would also have a wireless modem. What do you think?

xuma202's Photo xuma202 05 Jun 2012

Great idea. You would be able to make real Subway trains with this. I was thinking about creating a CCcontrolled Subway but this would need many Sensors. with a CCMinecarft you could even display delays.

EDIT: Why not with a note Block so they can sound the horn.

kazagistar's Photo kazagistar 05 Jun 2012

In terms of balance, it would remove the need for powered rails, which cost quite a bit on inclines. It also seems somewhat unneeded, since you can control trains with networked computercraft computers anyways.

View Postkazagistar, on 05 June 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

In terms of balance, it would remove the need for powered rails, which cost quite a bit on inclines. It also seems somewhat unneeded, since you can control trains with networked computercraft computers anyways.

You could make the CCCartsslower than a boosted minecraft and when the CCCart moves over a powered rail it will get even faster. Or you can make it consuming power if maybe IC is installed.

Can't agree on that. It's very difficult to make a Cart stop and then start it info a specific direction without a Player pushing it. Because if it stands on a powered rail it will not move unless there is a block preventing it from moving into the other direction or it's already is moving (maybe slowly).

Xfel's Photo Xfel 05 Jun 2012

You know, there is something called powered minecart. If you use them, you also do not need powered rails - here you are.

Cloudy's Photo Cloudy 05 Jun 2012

Neat idea. I'll speak to dan about it and see what he thinks.

View PostXfel, on 05 June 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

You know, there is something called powered minecart. If you use them, you also do not need powered rails - here you are.
Powered minecarts cost resources to run. Turtles are slow, but they are free. It is a tradeoff.

A solar car also needs no resources. You can also make the Carts expensive. Or only driving on special tracks that are a less expensive than powered rails but more than normal ones. And if you think they are like cheating don't use them.

By all means go ahead. But in my mind they fulfill no use case: you can direct other kinds of carts for long distance travel using simple redstone logic, you can move around with precision using turtles, and you can transfer data faster via wireless.

Mendax's Photo Mendax 09 Jun 2012

I think this is a cool idea, then again, anything to do with Minecarts seems like a good idea to me... Yeah... An awesome subway system, no need to add railcraft compatibility like you suggest, all carts from all mods link up. I used steve's carts carts with a regular minecart and a BC oil cart (Only reason I used BC was for the carts (LOL))

I have some ideas for an API anyway
cart.setSpeed( speed ) -- from -8 to 8 (Minus = backwards, normal = forwards)
cart.setDirection( direction ) --forward or backward
cart.checkInventory( cart , slot ) --cart - forward or backward, slot - 1 - 27
cart.moveItem( cart , slot ) -- cart - forward , backward or current (this cart), slot - 1 - 27
cart.checkFuel() --Checks fuel in chamber (Coal?)
cart.checkSpareFuel() --Checks fuel in fuel slot
All I could come up with for the API. Generally, cool idea. Oh yeah, RailCraftAPI for better item moving! I get it now! :3 ('Scuse me, I derped a bit there)

Leo Verto's Photo Leo Verto 14 Jun 2012

We would need electrical engine carts, which can be linked to BatBox/MFE/MSU carts.

Maybe even different versions like low voltage (batbox, works on wooden and iron rails), medium voltage (mfe, iron rails only) and high voltage (mfsu, high speed rails).

If this was be implemented and added into tekkit, my server would be perfect!

Xfel's Photo Xfel 15 Jun 2012

I thought about creating a generic "locomotive cart"-mod, which would also include carts running on buildcraft fuel&co. If there was one, the computer cart could pe used as a control unit, but would not be self-propelling.

xuma202's Photo xuma202 15 Jun 2012

I like those ideas but keep in mind that dan probably don't want to have CC relying on other mods.

BigSHinyToys's Photo BigSHinyToys 15 Jun 2012

View Postxuma202, on 15 June 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

I like those ideas but keep in mind that dan probably don't want to have CC relying on other mods.
while that is technically true CC is almost useless with out Red Power 2

Xfel's Photo Xfel 15 Jun 2012

Well I thought about it as a seperate mod, but with an integration module containing a computer.

kazagistar's Photo kazagistar 15 Jun 2012

View PostBigSHinyToys, on 15 June 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

Dunno, multiple wireless computers are often better then bundled cable, turtles are the best mining utility around, logic gates are far more bulky then a console with lua, and if you want to make a factory, buildcraft or whatever will do in a pinch. I use redpower, and it is somewhat handy, but mostly for the frames, which are awesome.

BigSHinyToys's Photo BigSHinyToys 15 Jun 2012

View Postkazagistar, on 15 June 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

View PostBigSHinyToys, on 15 June 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

Dunno, multiple wireless computers are often better then bundled cable, turtles are the best mining utility around, logic gates are far more bulky then a console with lua, and if you want to make a factory, buildcraft or whatever will do in a pinch. I use redpower, and it is somewhat handy, but mostly for the frames, which are awesome.
With out bundled cables it is a lot more difficult to wire up multiple Redstone activated devices to one computer. try to make a piston double door with out Red Power

Leo Verto's Photo Leo Verto 15 Jun 2012

View PostBigSHinyToys, on 15 June 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

With out bundled cables it is a lot more difficult to wire up multiple Redstone activated devices to one computer. try to make a piston double door with out Red Power
A piston door without redpower... did you forget how to do that vanilla style? :(/>

kazagistar's Photo kazagistar 16 Jun 2012

View PostLeo Verto, on 15 June 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

A piston door without redpower... did you forget how to do that vanilla style? :(/>
Old school is fun. I just enjoy the coding. I like these videos though...

Xfel's Photo Xfel 16 Jun 2012

Ain't we getting a bit side-tracked here? This thread has originally been a suggestion for a computer-controlled minecart, remember?