←  Suggestions

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

wired to wireless rednet, rednet repeater...

!!!!!!!!!!ExclaimationMark's Photo !!!!!!!!!!ExclaimationMark 13 Aug 2014

Why not?

Recipes in mind:
WIRED TO WIRELESS:
SNS
SRS
SWS
REDNET REPEATER:
S(N/W)S
S R S
S(N/W)S
S: stone
R: redstone
N: Wired Modem
W: Wireless Modem

theoriginalbit's Photo theoriginalbit 13 Aug 2014

In ComputerCraft 1.6 and above there is a rednet repeater program.

It's cheaper k? Xd

A new rednet repeater block is not cheaper than running a program on existing blocks.

View Posttheoriginalbit, on 13 August 2014 - 09:09 AM, said:

A new rednet repeater block is not cheaper than running a program on existing blocks.
But why so much?

What?

MKlegoman357's Photo MKlegoman357 13 Aug 2014

Rednet is a simple API written in plain Lua, the Modem is what does the magic. I don't think any of plain Lua APIs should get an official CC block for them, especially when you can code it yourself, and especially when there is a program already made for that.

Bomb Bloke's Photo Bomb Bloke 13 Aug 2014

I wouldn't call it a "simple" API. I'd call it a fair bit of overhead, even for systems that don't have modems. Setting up dedicated repeater systems always seemed like more unneeded overhead, even before 1.6; that update doubles the amount of events generated by the system.

In terms of MineCraft server resources I feel a dedicated repeater block would be a lot cheaper. But I suppose if it were really enough to matter then Dan would've implemented them.

View PostBomb Bloke, on 13 August 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

In terms of MineCraft server resources I feel a dedicated repeater block would be a lot cheaper. But I suppose if it were really enough to matter then Dan would've implemented them.
After having recently implemented a repeat feature to my BitNet Communications Towers in MoarPeripherals, I can definitely say, the difference between a Java-side and Lua-side implementation is negligible. The main difference is that Java-side does mean less events, but when it does come down to it, events generated by the system doesn't matter anyway, unless you have a program listening to the rednet repeat channel and acting upon all of them. Basically you're just extracting logic that fires based on an event, into logic that fires when a message is received; which conceptually could be interpreted as an event.
In terms of coding wise, the major advantage that a Java-side implementation provided was that it meant with my setup I could use UUIDs for message propagation prevention, something that the repeat program has to use a timer to clear old message IDs for reuse. Another minor advantage introduced was that I could have the distance the message travelled returned accurately as each hop it would just add the new distance travelled to the old distance, which wouldn't be something available Lua-side.
Edited by theoriginalbit, 13 August 2014 - 01:35 PM.

wilcomega's Photo wilcomega 18 Aug 2014

7 stone, 1 sand and one redstone for a pc
8 stone and a redstone for a modem i believe

thats it.

the only expensive part is the ender pearl, but that would be in the new block IF it got implemented.

these are all fairly easy to get, an iron sword and a few blocks a cover could get you a ender pearl
i just dont get the need for a whole new block.