←  Games

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

NF's Games Page: Skyfall Released!

Exerro's Photo Exerro 31 Aug 2015

Yet another awesome game. I remember being addicted to something almost identical to this on my phone a while back, it's great to have it in computercraft. Very smooth as well, no flicker or lag anywhere.

A couple of improvements:
There aren't really any menus. If you die, the program just stops. It might be nice to have a "You died, having survived x seconds" with a retry button or something. Same goes for difficulty. I'm assuming when you complete a level, it goes onto a harder difficulty (judging by the code), but being able to select difficulty from the start would be a nice touch.
Secondly, the controls really aren't bad, but it's hard to jump and move at the same time, and you end up spamming keys rather than being able to hold them. With CC's new key_up event, it should be quite simple to run a timer to move the player across/jump etc while a key is down, meaning the player would be able to hold left, jump, and still be moving left without having to release and press left again.

nitrogenfingers's Photo nitrogenfingers 31 Aug 2015

Thanks very much for the feedback :)

I've got a few hard work deadlines so I rushed this one out in an evening as a bit of procrastination. I have a feature list in my head including 'powers' that would drop, like freezing time, destroying blocks of snow and building ladders to get you out of deep holes. Menus and particularly high scores are probably the highest thing on that list to make this feel a bit more polished.

I definitely agree this (and indeed many other games in my library) will hugely benefit from key_up events. I'm just waiting for it to come out of beta so I can do a library-wide update to coincide with it going public.

I'm glad to hear it's running smoothly! There are one or two little graphical glitches still and the game's visuals aren't very exciting at the moment. Lots to be done and perhaps it was put out a little early but hopefully it's still a bit of fun :)

Exerro's Photo Exerro 31 Aug 2015

Beta? Nope. CC 1.74 is out and the key_up and mouse_up events are added. As for early releases, I know exactly what you mean. NightFall was probably the greatest premature release of all time.

Having 'powers' sounds great. If you can add in some graphical effects too that would be incredible, although I'm not sure if CC's limited colours will allow anything too fancy.

nitrogenfingers's Photo nitrogenfingers 01 Sep 2015

View Postawsumben13, on 31 August 2015 - 04:31 PM, said:

Beta? Nope. CC 1.74 is out and the key_up and mouse_up events are added.

:blink:
Wow. Yep. Over 2 months ago even...

Beeskee's Photo Beeskee 01 Sep 2015

Awesome game pack. I'd love to see saving/loading added to the Darklands game. :D

Bomb Bloke's Photo Bomb Bloke 02 Sep 2015

Skyfall code said:

term.write(string.char(166))

Erm... How are you guys testing this, exactly?? :blink:

nitrogenfingers's Photo nitrogenfingers 02 Sep 2015

View PostBomb Bloke, on 02 September 2015 - 12:54 AM, said:

Skyfall code said:

term.write(string.char(166))

Erm... How are you guys testing this, exactly?? :blink:

I don't follow sorry. Is the character not displaying?

Bomb Bloke's Photo Bomb Bloke 02 Sep 2015

ComputerCraft renders any characters outside of the 32 - 126 range as question marks.

I'm assuming you're using an emulator of some sort, but am rather surprised no one else picked up on it.
Edited by Bomb Bloke, 02 September 2015 - 01:04 AM.

nitrogenfingers's Photo nitrogenfingers 02 Sep 2015

Yep you're absolutely right. I had remembered seeing that in the past but changing the resource pack back to default had displayed it, looks like I remembered incorrectly. I'll have to remove that in the next update. Thanks for the catch

Geforce Fan's Photo Geforce Fan 05 Oct 2015

Mind putting some WASD control for these? Arrow key control is rather difficult when you're used to WASD

TheOddByte's Photo TheOddByte 17 Jan 2016

I don't know if this has been fixed, and I don't know why I haven't posted this until now, but I found a glitch in Skyfall a pretty long time ago, this glitch allowed you to theoretically speaking get the highest score possible in the game, how? Well the glitch was simple, all you had to do was hold in space and jump, even though you had snow blocks falling above you, you could jump above them.
This made the game way too easy.