←  Programs

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

Quest - The HTML Web Browser for ComputerC...

oeed's Photo oeed 04 Nov 2014

I am not longer developing this program and will not be offering support or adding new features.

If you're wanting to make a CCML page, checkout this tutorial.

TL;DR This is a super-mega-awesome HTML based web browser to surf the interwebs... in ComputerCraft.

Download

Client (you probably want this): pastebin get VDUGPdiA quest
Wi-Fi Server: pastebin get qpWzu0HA questserver

Be aware, this is still kinda buggy.

Screenshots

The Overly Verbose Backstory and Details

Since I started making OneOS I wanted to make a web browser that would actually work like your standard web browser. It would display pages off the internet in some form of HTML. Firewolf and similar programs are good, but you have to do everything in Lua and you have to run it off an in-game sever (at least I think, I haven't really used them that much). Some of them also use Pastebin which really isn't ideal.

It doesn't support full HTML pages, it's simply not possible due to the screen limitations. But the customised version is very close to the real thing. Here's a few of the notable things it does support:
  • ​Embedded images
  • Links (both absolute and relative)
  • Session persistence (i.e. cookies or being able to login, etc)
  • Forms (text boxes, buttons, etc.)
  • Embedded Lua with a jQuery like API
There are also, at this stage, two essential web sites/services.

The first is called 'The Hub'. At this stage it's a pretty barebones (but still neat) search engine, but it will eventually hopefully become a bit more of a hub for everything with news, etc.

The second is called 'Quest Host'. Basically it allows you to easily host your own static (i.e. no PHP) web pages with your own domain. Any site hosted on Quest Host uses the .qst TLD. So, if you're site is called 'mygames' it will be found at 'mygames.qst'.

You can also host a server over Wi-Fi, like you could using Rednet with Firewolf. At the moment they're only static pages, but I might make a PHP type language for it (or someone else could, nudge nudge wink wink :P). Each server has it's own name, such as basesite, and you can then go to wifi://basesite to access it.

More Rambling/Known Issues

Quest Host is a little annoying to use at the moment, but you don't have to use it. If you've got a web server on the internet (use 000webhost if you don't) you can host a site easily.

The Hub search engine isn't amazing really. I'm fairly happy with it, but it's no where near as good as Google.

Everything is probably super buggy, please let me know about any bugs you find.

This will be added to OneOS 1.3 when it's stable enough.
Edited by oeed, 19 January 2016 - 11:53 PM.

Emma's Photo Emma 04 Nov 2014

O_O
*Commits Suicide*
Nah, but really, great job!

cdel's Photo cdel 04 Nov 2014

woohoo, its final :D

Saldor010's Photo Saldor010 04 Nov 2014

Every time I open up Quest (on both my own world, and on Grim's server), it just refuses to connect. It's stuck on "loading...". I've tried manually putting in "http://thehub.qst" I've tried clicking "Go Home" but none of those work..

EDIT: Sometimes, it will pop up with "Page Load Cancelled", but sometimes it still just keeps "Loading..."
Edited by Jiloacom, 04 November 2014 - 01:57 PM.

3dsboy08's Photo 3dsboy08 04 Nov 2014

It gets stuck on "Registering computer with central server...." Any help?

View PostJiloacom, on 04 November 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

Every time I open up Quest (on both my own world, and on Grim's server), it just refuses to connect. It's stuck on "loading...". I've tried manually putting in "http://thehub.qst" I've tried clicking "Go Home" but none of those work..

EDIT: Sometimes, it will pop up with "Page Load Cancelled", but sometimes it still just keeps "Loading..."
Hmm, I presume registering worked. Maybe try going to google.com, it should complain about the doctype being wrong. I'll take a look on Grim's server and see what the problem is. What CC version out of curiosity?

View Post3dsboy08, on 04 November 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

It gets stuck on "Registering computer with central server...." Any help?
Try going to: http://quest.net76.net/

If that doesn't work there's not much I can do unfortunately. Basically your ISP is probably blocking the server. Unless someone is willing to pay for hosting I have to use 000WebHost, which isn't ideal.

Goof's Photo Goof 04 Nov 2014

Every time I open up Quest, it just refuses to connect. It's stuck on "loading...". I've tried manually putting in "http://thehub.qst" I've tried clicking "Go Home" but none of those work..

I tried the same and got the same output. My ISP isnt the problem.
Its just like it doesnt get the proper connection to the server. ( like Quest is confused of what to do )

I hope theres a fix soonoe :)

bigbrainiac10's Photo bigbrainiac10 04 Nov 2014

I tested this in CCEmuRedux and I just get this.

Any ideas?

Dragon53535's Photo Dragon53535 04 Nov 2014

View Postbigbrainiac10, on 04 November 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

I tested this in CCEmuRedux

CCEmuRedux

View PostDragon53535, on 04 November 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

CCEmuRedux

CCEmuRedux works fine for absolutely everything else, why would it be any different than being in-game?

The whole point of an emulator is to emulate the real thing.

Dragon53535's Photo Dragon53535 04 Nov 2014

It's an incomplete emulator.

Agent Silence's Photo Agent Silence 04 Nov 2014

Are downloads complete?

I can download the emulator, and it works A-Okay.

So... Yeah.

View PostMikk809h, on 04 November 2014 - 09:30 PM, said:

Every time I open up Quest, it just refuses to connect. It's stuck on "loading...". I've tried manually putting in "http://thehub.qst" I've tried clicking "Go Home" but none of those work..

I tried the same and got the same output. My ISP isnt the problem.
Its just like it doesnt get the proper connection to the server. ( like Quest is confused of what to do )

I hope theres a fix soonoe :)
Please try going to that address, if that doesn't work it's not a bug in Quest, but it's still something I need to fix. If you can get on to it it's a bug in Quest I need to fix.

I tested this in CCEmuRedux and I just get this.

Any ideas?
That happens after the page times out, which is after 20 seconds. Some emulators have pretty wonky timing systems, so 1 second might end up only being 0.25 seconds and doesn't give enough time to load the page.

View Postbigbrainiac10, on 04 November 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

View PostDragon53535, on 04 November 2014 - 09:47 PM, said:

CCEmuRedux

CCEmuRedux works fine for absolutely everything else, why would it be any different than being in-game?

The whole point of an emulator is to emulate the real thing.
I'd like to make it work with most emulators. It won't work with Mimic as it uses http.post for everything. I'll give CCEmuRedux a shot this afternoon.

View PostRequiem, on 04 November 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

Are downloads complete?
Yep, but might be a little buggy. I've noticed a strange bug with the compressed single file version, the text boxes are white by default strangely. They should be light grey.
Edited by oeed, 04 November 2014 - 10:14 PM.

Lyqyd's Photo Lyqyd 04 Nov 2014

If something doesn't work in an emulator, test it in-game. If it works in-game, it's a problem with the emulator, not the program. None of the emulators available are fantastic, but some do reasonably well.

Very weird. Any sort of proxy works. Any help asking my webhost to unblock net76.net?
EDIT: Also, ccappstore.com is blocked. Idk whats happening, nothing else is blocked. When I run both of these websites through a proxy, they work fine....
Edited by 3dsboy08, 04 November 2014 - 10:34 PM.

View Post3dsboy08, on 04 November 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

Very weird. Any sort of proxy works. Any help asking my webhost to unblock net76.net?
EDIT: Also, ccappstore.com is blocked. Idk whats happening, nothing else is blocked. When I run both of these websites through a proxy, they work fine....
While both are hosted by 000WebHost, Quest uses server 14 while the appstore uses server 13. I'd say it's your ISP, which one are you using?

Try going to all of these and see which ones do/do not work.
server14.000webhost.com
server13.000webhost.com
server17.000webhost.com
server10.000webhost.com
000webhost.com
Edited by oeed, 04 November 2014 - 10:48 PM.

000webhost.com
Is the only one I can load. Nothing else works.
I use AT&T.
Edited by 3dsboy08, 04 November 2014 - 10:56 PM.

Agent Silence's Photo Agent Silence 04 Nov 2014

Wow oeed,
I don't even know how to explain how awesome this is.
This insanely awesome.
The only thing that could make this better is PDA support

Saldor010's Photo Saldor010 05 Nov 2014

View Postoeed, on 04 November 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

Hmm, I presume registering worked. Maybe try going to google.com, it should complain about the doctype being wrong. I'll take a look on Grim's server and see what the problem is. What CC version out of curiosity?

Nope. Google.com just comes up with "loading..." again.
Computercraft is 1.63