Discover App (Ver. 7.4) - Apps, Snippets, Cloud Storage, Chat Board, Mail, Profiles, Support Tickets

utility networking lua

302 replies to this topic

#41 Tag365

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:08 PM

Oops! I forgot to say that if you click on an empty space in the apps menu it crashes with an attempt to index a nil value at line 1988.

#42 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:07 AM

View PostTag365, on 08 April 2015 - 09:08 PM, said:

Oops! I forgot to say that if you click on an empty space in the apps menu it crashes with an attempt to index a nil value at line 1988.

Can you please submit issues on the github

#43 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:07 AM

View PostTag365, on 08 April 2015 - 09:08 PM, said:

On this where is this error?:s I can't find it

#44 comp500

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:14 PM

Nice app store... for an app store. This is why I prefer a normal (packman, ac-get, grin-get) package manager:
- no complicated UI
- rarely breaks
- doesn't often go down (since when has github been down?)
- no username/password stuff

I might make an app store gui for packman

#45 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

View Postcomp500, on 10 April 2015 - 07:14 PM, said:

Nice app store... for an app store. This is why I prefer a normal (packman, ac-get, grin-get) package manager:
- no complicated UI
- rarely breaks

Not sure if this is a compliment or you being rude?

#46 comp500

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:35 AM

View PostDannySMc, on 10 April 2015 - 08:57 PM, said:

- no complicated UI
- rarely breaks

no offence intended, I just prefer normal package managers :)
app stores are great for people who think a bios is a plant-based fuel, however most i've seen crash a lot (ahem OneOS ahem). I haven't tried yours, but it seems much better than the rest. Only thing is, every OS seems to have a different app store. anyway, keep doing what you're doing, it's great!

#47 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:51 AM

View Postcomp500, on 11 April 2015 - 06:35 AM, said:

View PostDannySMc, on 10 April 2015 - 08:57 PM, said:

- no complicated UI
- rarely breaks

no offence intended, I just prefer normal package managers :)
app stores are great for people who think a bios is a plant-based fuel, however most i've seen crash a lot (ahem OneOS ahem). I haven't tried yours, but it seems much better than the rest. Only thing is, every OS seems to have a different app store. anyway, keep doing what you're doing, it's great!

This isn't a package manager?:s it is literally just an app store... with comments and nice pretty functions. It literally takes one file and stores it... That is true but a lot of people have started using this in OS's and all programs will crash for multiple reasons, mine has minimized it as much as possible but it is always possible! Thanks anyway.

#48 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:36 PM

Hey guys,

If you have recently experienced any errors with the app store then this is due to me re-coding some of the functions to work with the web version as well. So apologies.
On the bright side, I am making an API for the web version meaning you can write applications for the App Store. If you are interested, what would your thoughts be on making an app store for more than just Lua programs? I know this is random, but I thought maybe we can offer things like Github's gists?

Ideas would be great! :D

#49 flaghacker

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:07 PM

What do you mean, Github gists that contain Lua programs?

#50 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:41 PM

View Postflaghacker, on 16 April 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

What do you mean, Github gists that contain Lua programs?

So like github has gists we can have the same like small code snippets that can be embedded into web pages. Not sure was an idea

#51 comp500

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:14 AM

@dannysmc (quotes don't work on this stupid tablet, don't get a surface RT)
Github gists are just glorified Pastebin pastes...
So, you mean sharing gists on your website? Hmmm... depends.. what are you putting in these gists [offtopic] argh autocorrect keeps changing gists to gusts!? [/offtopic]
I'd prefer gh repos with lots of different lua stuffs (cc-packman, CCSnippets etc)

[offtopic] I had to type that in word, save it as plain text, send it over to my linux pc, change a few characters because the encoding is incorrect, and paste it here, just because ie11 hates CC forums. Don't get a Surface RT for the CC Forums. Actually, don't get one at all, otherwise you'll probably be wasting your time. Have a good day! [/offtopic]

Edit: wait, you could use gh gists/repos as hosting as well, like packman etc

Edited by comp500, 17 April 2015 - 07:16 AM.

#52 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:18 AM

View Postcomp500, on 17 April 2015 - 07:14 AM, said:

@dannysmc (quotes don't work on this stupid tablet, don't get a surface RT)
Github gists are just glorified Pastebin pastes...
So, you mean sharing gists on your website? Hmmm... depends.. what are you putting in these gists [offtopic] argh autocorrect keeps changing gists to gusts!? [/offtopic]
I'd prefer gh repos with lots of different lua stuffs (cc-packman, CCSnippets etc)

[offtopic] I had to type that in word, save it as plain text, send it over to my linux pc, change a few characters because the encoding is incorrect, and paste it here, just because ie11 hates CC forums. Don't get a Surface RT for the CC Forums. Actually, don't get one at all, otherwise you'll probably be wasting your time. Have a good day! [/offtopic]

Edit: wait, you could use gh gists/repos as hosting as well, like packman etc

I am looking at extending the App Store to work as repositories, then you can upload and download files then when you like the code you can make a release which auto-posts it on the app store. That is my idea anyway? What do you think?

The gists where like small code snippets that people can share to help others and they can be implemented into Lua using a few cc stores when compiled etc.

#53 comp500

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:48 AM

View PostDannySMc, on 17 April 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

I am looking at extending the App Store to work as repositories, then you can upload and download files then when you like the code you can make a release which auto-posts it on the app store. That is my idea anyway? What do you think?

The gists where like small code snippets that people can share to help others and they can be implemented into Lua using a few cc stores when compiled etc.
Great. Wait a minute, will this use github hooks or will you have a cron job checking when you have the release? I'm interested in helping you if needed... what's it programmed in?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I get it now! So for example a snippet that loads a config file etc. That's a really cool idea, but I think we should have one central repo, with a program to retrieve them and an API so, for example, LuaIDE could implement them. We could also have an export function so it works with Sublime Text etc.

#54 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:45 AM

View Postcomp500, on 18 April 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

View PostDannySMc, on 17 April 2015 - 09:18 AM, said:

Great. Wait a minute, will this use github hooks or will you have a cron job checking when you have the release? I'm interested in helping you if needed... what's it programmed in?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I get it now! So for example a snippet that loads a config file etc. That's a really cool idea, but I think we should have one central repo, with a program to retrieve them and an API so, for example, LuaIDE could implement them. We could also have an export function so it works with Sublime Text etc.

This will not be connected to github at all, we will make it completely ground up, I am looking at programming it in dart and php, not sure yet. Yes I have a whole idea for it going to make a repo later today and get it set up :P.

#55 LDDestroier

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationACDC Town

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:35 PM

Wait, will this redirect from pastebin? Because if it does, then it would be a bit easier to update programs, and a good pastebin ubuntu-software-center esque program is in dire need.

#56 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:48 PM

View PostLDDestroier, on 19 April 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

Wait, will this redirect from pastebin? Because if it does, then it would be a bit easier to update programs, and a good pastebin ubuntu-software-center esque program is in dire need.

What do you mean? At the moment it doesn't use pastebin or github?:s it never will either!

#57 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:38 AM

Hi guys, recently I have started to wonder what would you like me to add?

I have a few of the following options that I wish to make but of course this all up to you and your ideas:
+ Software Center -> This would be redesigned as a software center and made so it is built to use via GUI or CLI and you can run things like store apt-get update which will update all the most recent apps to the newest version? etc and this can be done via command line to make it useful?
+ Games Center -> This will make a new part of the app store which will incorporate some new functions which are trophies in games, and make a new API specifically targeted at games.
+ Repositories -> Do you wish to have repositories (like git) that can allow you to upload all your files as well as commit new changes and push/pull content? Do you wish to be able to create releases as well as get a few contributors to help as well?
+ Gists -> Do you wish to have embedded code from the App Store Website? Example, imagine having a useful code snippet that you made, do you wish to allow a user to embed it into their code? or website? Using the Gists idea and adding to it, you can use a small code snippet that will download that code and insert it into a program, meaning it is always "up-to-date"?
+ Distribution System -> Allow you to distribute programs to multiple computers in the same world? You can have turtle running the store that can get all updates and programs you wish to send to it? Kind of like bluetooth but instead it can automatically update programs when a turtle is in rednet range?
+ Versioning -> I am happy to add a versioning type system in if we do the repositories update? Making it useful for users to actually version all their programs, as well as checkout and commit logs.
+ Issues? -> Allow users to submit issues that when you commit a new change you can fix and open as well as if multiple contributors are on a project the admin can assign this to a user?

Ideas please guys to tell me what you think!!!:D I will add and update! :P

#58 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:08 PM

View PostDannySMc, on 22 April 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

I have a few of the following options that I wish to make but of course this all up to you and your ideas:
+ Software Center -> This would be redesigned as a software center and made so it is built to use via GUI or CLI and you can run things like store apt-get update which will update all the most recent apps to the newest version? etc and this can be done via command line to make it useful?
+ Games Center -> This will make a new part of the app store which will incorporate some new functions which are trophies in games, and make a new API specifically targeted at games.
+ Repositories -> Do you wish to have repositories (like git) that can allow you to upload all your files as well as commit new changes and push/pull content? Do you wish to be able to create releases as well as get a few contributors to help as well?
+ Gists -> Do you wish to have embedded code from the App Store Website? Example, imagine having a useful code snippet that you made, do you wish to allow a user to embed it into their code? or website? Using the Gists idea and adding to it, you can use a small code snippet that will download that code and insert it into a program, meaning it is always "up-to-date"?
+ Distribution System -> Allow you to distribute programs to multiple computers in the same world? You can have turtle running the store that can get all updates and programs you wish to send to it? Kind of like bluetooth but instead it can automatically update programs when a turtle is in rednet range?
+ Versioning -> I am happy to add a versioning type system in if we do the repositories update? Making it useful for users to actually version all their programs, as well as checkout and commit logs.
+ Issues? -> Allow users to submit issues that when you commit a new change you can fix and open as well as if multiple contributors are on a project the admin can assign this to a user?

Ideas please guys to tell me what you think!!! :D I will add and update! :P

they all sound cool, but they also all sound like alot of work, don't burn yourself out with this

#59 Dahknee

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Location/home/da

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:22 PM

View PostLupus590, on 22 April 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

View PostDannySMc, on 22 April 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

Ideas please guys to tell me what you think!!! :D I will add and update! :P

they all sound cool, but they also all sound like alot of work, don't burn yourself out with this

Mate I want to xD I love adding new stuff I just want to know what is "useful" and what is "useless":D

#60 Lupus590

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:34 PM

it will depend on who is using it:
git like repository/version control/issue tracking will be better for larger projects (I don't plan to migrate Hive to this though, unless you use github as the back end or something)
CLI will be good for people who want to use it on "normal" computers or (badly) embed it in their programs
the game profile API thing just sounds like something people will have fun with (will this lock their program to your appstore though?)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users