←  General

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

Anyone up for making a website?

Dahknee's Photo Dahknee 13 Apr 2015

Hello,

I am come with an offer for someone to create the App Store website, now a few people have asked and I have said no, but as I am too busy to do it, I will offer someone to build a website if they are up for it. Before you say yes I know I am a web designer and I am lazy but I really do not have the time. Work is getting busy and I don't have the time to sit down and make a fully fledged app store. I know it would be awesome if we did have one for the app store so I shall appeal to you.

The store needs to be made with a simple and clean design, it can't be cluttered and needs to be dynamic. So here is what I need if someone wants to make one it needs to be done soon. I will make the codes for the PHP when the store is completed. For now you will have to use test data. I want the design to be tile based, like windows 8.1's start menu (metro), and when a user clicks a catogory it will remove all apps that aren't in that category.

There will need to be the following pages:
+ Home (All apps and categories etc.)
+ Search
+ Install
+ Help
+ Login & Register (Pop-up)
+ User (This is the uploading and other)
+ Upload
+ Update
+ Delete
+ Edit
+ View
+ My Account

If you are up for doing this then please do that will be awesome! It needs to be nice to look at and simply designed.

Cheers

ByteMe's Photo ByteMe 13 Apr 2015

lol completely forgot about this. Sorry

Dahknee's Photo Dahknee 13 Apr 2015

View PostByteMe, on 13 April 2015 - 11:05 AM, said:

lol completely forgot about this. Sorry

It is fine, I just need one done, so I can start implementing a few bits and bobs into it as I do not have the time.

Dahknee's Photo Dahknee 16 Apr 2015

Hello,

I am in the middle of re-modeling the app store and actually finishing it this time. Currently you can view all apps, sort them using the sort button on the middle right of the screen and choosing a category. You can login and register. The menu bar at the top will add more options, although currently I have not finished these options nor have I added the comments system in yet. This is (for now) just a beta for you guys to see it and well I guess; give me some feedback.

This is very basic currently, please note it does store cookies.

App Store Website

If you want to add anything to the code you can easily check out the Github Repo. If you have any issues just submit them here and if you want to add someone fork the repo and make a pull request!! :D.

Anyway tell me what you think? and tell me if you like the idea of having the SocialNet system built into the app store?:D

Please add ideas and stuff via issues!! Not here! :D

Cheers,
Dannny

Creator's Photo Creator 16 Apr 2015

I tried to update the FileX entry since the pastebin ID is wrong. But it said page does not exist. This is the real ID: AVqAFH8h.

View PostCreator, on 16 April 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

I tried to update the FileX entry since the pastebin ID is wrong. But it said page does not exist. This is the real ID: AVqAFH8h.

That ID isn't a pastebin ID... it is the store's ID, so you can use store install store_id file_name in the command line... or use GUI to search for that ID, the app store doesn't use pastebin at all, it uploads the files which are stored on my web server.

I did add that I have not finished it all yet, and that the only real things that work are the login, register, viewing apps etc:

View PostDannySMc, on 16 April 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

The menu bar at the top will add more options, although currently I have not finished these options nor have I added the comments system in yet. This is (for now) just a beta for you guys to see it

Edited by DannySMc, 16 April 2015 - 02:20 PM.

Ohhhhhhh, I got it. This way you keep total comand over the apps

View PostCreator, on 16 April 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

Ohhhhhhh, I got it. This way you keep total comand over the apps

Exactly :P and I need the file content to make the in browser editor :P on my website :D

You are gaining more power with every app you manage to seize. Then when one day pastebin crashes, our only copy will be on your appstore and you're gonna make us pay millions of dolloars so we can get our apps back. Is this the evil plan no one was supposed to know?...

Back to serious now, what will the api be like? Will it allow us to make our own client?

CrazedProgrammer's Photo CrazedProgrammer 16 Apr 2015

Wow it looks amazing!
I only don't like that there aren't any icons, screenshots or ratings for programs.
And the search function doesn't work.
Edited by CrazedProgrammer, 16 April 2015 - 05:48 PM.

SquidDev's Photo SquidDev 16 Apr 2015

I'm not a web designer, though I've written a few websites so I'm going to give some tips/feedback/rants/words.

This:
<p>&nbsp;</p>
This is scattered everywhere. Use CSS instead to achieve the same effect. The key thing is HTML is a structural language (how it is layed out), and CSS is a design language (what it looks like). In the same way you shouldn't use tables to achieve columns (I'm guilty as much as anyone is for this), you shouldn't use paragraphs or line breaks to add padding.

Modals:
Modals work for navigation, mostly. However they just feel slightly clunky. For some reason you don't get the black fade background like on bootstrap's demo, nor can you exit with escape. This is unlike other modals and so makes the user slightly frustrated (the user being me). I'd also suggest looking at jQuery's mobile framework or Angular JS which both allow you do something similar to what you are doing, do the demos instead. Angular has some very good MVC code which makes writing UIs much easier.

Mix and match:
Don't have PHP, HTML and inline javascript in one file. Everything just feels slightly messy and ughrh. I'd suggest using bower & grunt/gulp to manage dependencies and compile everything together. This means you'll always have the latest version of bootstrap and you only ever need to serve one JS & CSS file, which decreases page load time (slightly).

Sorry if I sound harsh, I'm just very, very fussy. I'm happy to send a pull request if it helps, but I have a habit of just doing things My WayTM and no one else's.
Edited by SquidDev, 16 April 2015 - 05:54 PM.

View PostCreator, on 16 April 2015 - 04:44 PM, said:

You are gaining more power with every app you manage to seize. Then when one day pastebin crashes, our only copy will be on your appstore and you're gonna make us pay millions of dolloars so we can get our apps back. Is this the evil plan no one was supposed to know?...

Back to serious now, what will the api be like? Will it allow us to make our own client?

The whole plan is based on simple post and curl requests :D and shuushhhhh

View PostSquidDev, on 16 April 2015 - 05:53 PM, said:

I'm not a web designer, though I've written a few websites so I'm going to give some tips/feedback/rants/words.

This:
<p>&nbsp;</p>
This is scattered everywhere. Use CSS instead to achieve the same effect. The key thing is HTML is a structural language (how it is layed out), and CSS is a design language (what it looks like). In the same way you shouldn't use tables to achieve columns (I'm guilty as much as anyone is for this), you shouldn't use paragraphs or line breaks to add padding.

Modals:
Modals work for navigation, mostly. However they just feel slightly clunky. For some reason you don't get the black fade background like on bootstrap's demo, nor can you exit with escape. This is unlike other modals and so makes the user slightly frustrated (the user being me). I'd also suggest looking at jQuery's mobile framework or Angular JS which both allow you do something similar to what you are doing, do the demos instead. Angular has some very good MVC code which makes writing UIs much easier.

Mix and match:
Don't have PHP, HTML and inline javascript in one file. Everything just feels slightly messy and ughrh. I'd suggest using bower & grunt/gulp to manage dependencies and compile everything together. This means you'll always have the latest version of bootstrap and you only ever need to serve one JS & CSS file, which decreases page load time (slightly).

Sorry if I sound harsh, I'm just very, very fussy. I'm happy to send a pull request if it helps, but I have a habit of just doing things My WayTM and no one else's.

Haha yes I am currently making a framework because a few sessions are increasing loading time and it annoys me too :P. Will have a look at what you have suggested thanks for the feedback.

zacpier's Photo zacpier 20 Apr 2015

I'd be up for it. I've been looking for something to make for awhile.

It''s not much, but if you want to make sure I can do web design, there's my personal website, and this a work-in-progress app I'm building.

They're a bit similar, but I feel confident I could do this.

Dahknee's Photo Dahknee 21 Apr 2015

Hello everyone :D

I have had an idea and I was actually currently adding it into the app store I made but I don't know, I felt inspired, how about we have a steam-like games library? I know you can upload games to my app store, but instead use it as a full game client? Now if you have games on the store I shall make it so it works with the client so when it grabs a list of all games it will grab the games off the app store, and all games are stored there as well. Here is a list of features an ideas I would love to implement:

+ Messaging? So we can message others and have like a social net type thing (that is fixed by the way, but I ran into hella problems, so making it in dart),
+ Trophies? So all games can have trophies? So what you do is every game would register itself onto the system, then a small in-built API allows you to add trophies to player profiles? I will make this API usable as seperate or if the game client is available it will load it as an API which will expose it's functions.
+ OF COURSE GAMESSSSS
+ Maybe a profile with what games you have downloaded? etc?
+ Game library so you can view all the games,
+ Also play games that are being built and you can offer development, plus commenting as well?
+ When you get a trophy a user can comment on it etc? It will then be added to your profile and posted on the global posts?
+ We can have leaderboards?
+ Ranks or something so if you have over 10 trophies then you are a noob, and like over 1000 gamer pro? etc. So we can make them up, well you can my friends :P
+ My library feature? So if you use a new computer you can re-download the game
+ Of course my personal favourite: online game storage? So if you have a game and it saves some data you can upload this data to the server and store it, then download it on a new computer? (made this before, so should be pretty simple)?
+ Game community pages, and view what players have done for that game?
+ Game reviews?
+ Issues and bugs page,
+ Recommendation
+ Multiplayer via rednet of course? :D Uses the API? :D

NOTE ON REDNET
Spoiler

All these are suggestions and open to review although a few of these WILL HAPPEN so the client actually functions :PPPP

Anyway, discuss!
Edited by DannySMc, 21 April 2015 - 09:52 AM.

Lupus590's Photo Lupus590 21 Apr 2015

CrazedProgrammer has already done something like this; Strafe.

His is only an installer though, the profile, trophy and other systems sound cool.
Edited by Lupus590, 21 April 2015 - 09:58 AM.

View PostLupus590, on 21 April 2015 - 09:58 AM, said:

CrazedProgrammer has already done something like this; Strafe.

His is only an installer though, the profile, trophy and other systems sound cool.

Yeah I saw that, wasn't really going for that though, I want like a whole social idea with online game storing etc, It is going to be awesome :P

so more like steam then what strafe is at the moment

View PostLupus590, on 21 April 2015 - 10:27 AM, said:

so more like steam then what strafe is at the moment

Yeah I just wanted a steam client xD

I have a name suggestion, smoke.
Partly a play on steam, but also since you will be providing an API/program which will allow players to view each others profiles, it kind of makes sense: ancient people would use the smoke from a fire to send messages long distances.
Edited by Lupus590, 21 April 2015 - 10:38 AM.

Engineer's Photo Engineer 21 Apr 2015

From a non-moderator here: please keep all your appstore related ideas in that appstore thread..