←  General

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

CraftOS 2.0 - Dan's Secret Project

TheOddByte's Photo TheOddByte 18 May 2015

We can safely asume that it isn't ComputerCraft he's working on https://twitter.com/...582611795742720

ardera's Photo ardera 18 May 2015

LuaJ has inbuilt unicode support (I think), it's possible that he now decided to use it

Seeing the later responds this thread, and the other tweets of dan200, I don't think it's computercraft what he's working on
Edited by ardera, 19 May 2015 - 11:21 AM.

Lignum's Photo Lignum 18 May 2015

To me it seems like it's some sort of game development kit for people coming from ComputerCraft. This would make sense since he always includes #gamedev in his tweets, and not to forget this game-looking thing.
Additionally, ComputerCraft has always been an educational mod, so I suppose the new thing is a sort of ComputerCraft 2.0, a new challenge for those who have mastered the original?

Creator's Photo Creator 18 May 2015

It definately looks similar to CC. However it still shows some differences.

Wojbie's Photo Wojbie 19 May 2015

Well look at this

Whatever end project will be it will have a lot of overlap with CC. That means that there will be a community of people that know most of what is going on with it and are willing to help other. And if some of that overlap upgrades sneak its way back into CC? No-one will complain. Cause most of us here is liking what he is doing in those posts.
Edited by wojbie, 19 May 2015 - 06:53 PM.

Cranium's Photo Cranium 19 May 2015

Well that's very interesting. That's very clearly similar to CC's own inbuilt edit program, if not exactly the same. I think Dan is reading this thread, and actively putting out teaser images just to throw us off.
*shakes fist at dan200*

CrazedProgrammer's Photo CrazedProgrammer 19 May 2015

I'm so excited!

MindenCucc's Photo MindenCucc 19 May 2015

It looks like graphics.com ported to ComputerCraft :P graphics.setMode(19)? :D

Lyqyd's Photo Lyqyd 19 May 2015

The code in the above video is interesting. Wonder what all else the "gfx" API can do?

SquidDev's Photo SquidDev 19 May 2015

I'm stuck between 'this can't be on CC, because this would cause so much network lag, etc...' and 'all these sneak peaks, it must be CC because he knows we will be really upset when it isn't'. I guess I'm just going to have to get in my TARDIS and pop forwards a couple of weeks.

Seriously though, even if this isn't for CC it is going to be pretty awesome. Judging by previous tweets, gfx might be also be able to do 3D...

HDeffo's Photo HDeffo 20 May 2015

If you notice while maintaining a LOT of CC's design aspects these screenshots and gifs have slowly grown farther from the CC we know. At first it was new characters with slightly odd resolution size for a CC computer. Then we added new resolution sizes seemingly changeable. Then the ability to draw lines and define your own characters. And now the 'custom' defined characters have gotten much more complex and new colors have been added. I believe I read once before Dan stating in theory yes he could remove computercraft's rendering restrictions in terms of color and size but to avoid murdering the server it would require a flat out complete rewrite of the entire mod and I feel like he also stated it would be extremely difficult if he even did attempt this. This actually seems to go perfectly with the fact this seems to be slowly as if through a long progress be getting more and more complex over time. I believe dan's 'secret' project is a complete rewrite of how computercraft renders and thus a practical rewrite of computercraft altogether. While the latest animations look almost nothing like computercraft except a few quirks if you look at them in order its almost like an evolution from computercraft as each new "feature" is fleshed out.

Creator's Photo Creator 20 May 2015

If what you are saying is true, then not only would Dan slowly replace GabeN as our Lord, but also itwill be the best mod ever. And the internet will explode since it won't be able to handle the awesomeness of Dan and ComputerCraft.

HDeffo's Photo HDeffo 20 May 2015

Dan's secret project: Become overlord of the internet

Creator's Photo Creator 20 May 2015

Poor GabeN, already losing popularity, and now comes Dan. He can't handle that.

Agent Silence's Photo Agent Silence 21 May 2015

Anyone else getting carpal tunnel from refreshing Dan's twitter feed so many times?
I can't wait any longer or else I will start breaking my bones XD

jerimo's Photo jerimo 21 May 2015

I love how no one has mentioned that the edit list Gif literally makes a mention of CC and how one needs to press Ctrl to save by saying that one will "never need to press Ctrl again"

Bomb Bloke's Photo Bomb Bloke 21 May 2015

I for one am assuming that the unspoken exception to that is "unless you're still actually using ComputerCraft".

oeed's Photo oeed 21 May 2015

If this is indeed the case I'll be strongly considering giving OneOS and Bedrock a bit of a kick into gear, this really does mean a whole array of new possibilities.

Bomb Bloke's Photo Bomb Bloke 21 May 2015

We know that whatever it is will be running something akin to CraftOS by default, so... why not do that anyway?

theoriginalbit's Photo theoriginalbit 21 May 2015

Well it's definitely not CCEdu related.

You all missed these btw: Also it seems that Dan is taking a page out of every single one of my programs, first with peripheral.find, now with this expect and the __type in the metatable :P
Edited by theoriginalbit, 21 May 2015 - 12:53 PM.