←  Operating Systems

ComputerCraft | Programmable Computers for Minecraft

»

LimeFyre 2 - A Simple DE

Poll: LimeFyre Update Poll

What would you like to see in the newest version of LimeFyre?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

ebernerd's Photo ebernerd 24 May 2015

Posted Image

To download the current version, enter this into an advanced computer's terminal:

pastebin run xGb4B9zH

Upated to Service Pack 9! Enjoy!

Please inform me of any bugs. Read the bug report spoiler for more info.

I'd really appreciate to hear what you think! Please leave a comment after you've used it to

let me know how the user experience was!

For live updates, visit our twitter!

Hello everyone! Welcome to LimeFyre, a desktop environment for ComputerCraft that was built to enhance the CraftOS experience. I don't consider this an OS, as doesn't have features that an OS would have; this is mostly a GUI for CraftOS.

There are many things you can do with LimeFyre, the main one being able to customize an apps screen with all your favorite apps, so you can launch them very easily. The DE also offers password protection, hashed with SHA256, so you can keep your files safe on servers.

Pictures are in an imgur album that can be found here.

The DE is only built to run on Advanced Computers, as standard computers do not accept mouse click events, making the whole use of a GUI kind of pointless.

If you have anything you'd like to see added in the DE, let me know. I will be happy to consider it. :)

Known Issues
Spoiler

Bug Report Information
Spoiler

Thank you! Please let me know what you think.
Edited by Minecrosoft, 13 August 2015 - 09:17 PM.

CrazedProgrammer's Photo CrazedProgrammer 24 May 2015

This OS looks really good!
And thanks for including my File Dialog API and giving credit.
Could you please update the File Dialog API?
I've made some fixes.
Anyways, here is my review:

Pros:
- Really good looking interface
- Good install program
- Everything works
- You can still boot into CraftOS

Cons:
- Not really useful
- Can't add programs to the start menu
- Bad settings menu

Suggestions:
- Ability to add programs to the start menu

The ability to add programs would make this OS useful.
Good job, and I look forward to updates!
Edited by CrazedProgrammer, 24 May 2015 - 10:10 AM.

I can indeed update it. It downloads it right from your pastebin, so it shoud autodupdate.

What you see now is the main screen. There's going to be a second page (or third, or fourth... etc) where you can add apps. It's just going to take some time, because right now all of those buttons are hard coded. So, I need to make a new system to generate coordinates. Which, in my opinion, shouldn't be hard. My idea for buttons would be:
local event, button, x, y = os.pullEventRaw()
local button,funct = checkButton(button,x,y) 
if button then
funct()
end

Look good?

Settings: i know. I have big plans for it, don't you worry. I also need to change the installer to let you configure a password (there is a login system, just not shown as you don't ever get a chance to set the password).

Thanks for the input. It was really helpful. I just woke up, and now I have something to do!

Lookie lookie!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Creator's Photo Creator 24 May 2015

In my opinion, the gui is a little bit messy. It doesn't look bad, but it is overwhelming.

ebernerd's Photo ebernerd 25 May 2015

View PostCreator, on 24 May 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

In my opinion, the gui is a little bit messy. It doesn't look bad, but it is overwhelming.

Would it be easier if there was like sections? I'm already programming pages. It wouldn't be hard to add.
Basically, there could be the RUN button on the front, then like a button that says "Reboot" that brings you a page to a bunch of buttons that say "reboot into CraftOS" or "reboot LimeFyre" and "shutdown" instead of them being on the main page?

I'm updating it so it is MUCH less cluttered on the main screen. I don't think I can get a release in by midnight my time (I've got like... 3 hours til then) but my work doesn't stop at midnight, especially when I have the day off tomorrow. :)

Here is an update of the main page. It is much cleaner and neater. More buttons will be added for sure, and the settings menu will actually work.
Posted Image
Edited by GLaDOS, 25 May 2015 - 01:47 AM.

Nice new working color selection screen. :)
Posted Image

Dev build 24.5.16v1 is now out! Still no user-created tiles, but the framework for it is there! Let me know if there are any bugs.

Changes may conflict with original version. When updating, it's recommended that you delete your old LimeFyre files.

Changes:
-Messed up the date. xD It's not 24 May 16. :P However, I will keep that date until Tuesday / whenever I update
-Removed auto updater. 24.5.16v2 will have "Check for updates" in the OS Settings panel, as the autoupdater was broken.
-Added OS Settings panel.
-Reworked main OS gui
-Pages are added, however, you can only go up to page 2 and it's useless as of now.
-Bug fixes / code improvements.
-Reworked settings GUI (only 1 working option, 2nd in the works, and many more to come)
-Much more. :)

Again, it is suggested you either run on a brand new computer or delete all your LimeFyre files so that you don't conflict updates.
Edited by GLaDOS, 25 May 2015 - 04:26 AM.

Creator's Photo Creator 25 May 2015

Better, much better. It actually makes me want to download it.

Exerro's Photo Exerro 25 May 2015

Honestly, I think I preferred the old look, although it was a little cluttered. People pay millions for art that looks like that! Anyway, I really like the general look of this - the darker background in particular. I might take some design tips for Nova. As with all OSs out there, I must recommend multitasking. It's not that hard to implement once you get your head round how coroutines and term.redirect() work, and it's so worth it.

I can see if I can get something going with that. It might delay the release of the next update, but I'm sure I can research it and possibly get it done.
There is always the new (heh, new? Not really) multishell I could use, but then most of my design is going to be flawed.

EDIT: By the looks of it, I don't know if I can do this for the next update, unless I hold the next update until wednesday. :P
So, I'm going to run some tests and see if it's as hard as I think it is.

So, to be honest, I'm basing this OS off of windows 8 (which sounds awful. xD) but I think it'd be perfect for ComputerCraft. So, I've got some plans for this. I dunno if I can get it all done by tonight, but here's my list:
  • Multitasking apps, but work like Windows 8 (where only one app can be present at a time). You'll be able to switch between apps by pressing Shift and the arrow keys.
  • Remove pages, the desktop will scroll.
  • Other stuff.

Edited by GLaDOS, 25 May 2015 - 03:37 PM.

The next update is going to take a while. It's not going to include multitasking, but the user-created apps will be there. Lots of little improvements will be rolling around, and I'm still way open for suggestions!

ProjectB's Photo ProjectB 25 May 2015

I would love to try it, but it is crashing for me. I wish I could supply a screenshot but I don't know how to do that.

So I go through your installer just fine, I set it to run at startup, but after rebooting it says this onscreen:
LimeFyre 2 Dev build 24.5.16v1 : Page:1
.lf:81: attempt to call nil
After that it returns me to the shell, I have tried re-installing it several times, but with no luck.
Looks great though from screenshots!

P.S Running CraftOS 1.6
Edited by ProjectB, 26 May 2015 - 12:14 AM.

fishermedders's Photo fishermedders 25 May 2015

Let me say, I love the GUI and the Windows 8.1 tiles look! I've always wanted to create a simpler OS like this, but never got around to it :D

Great work, I'm going to follow this post as I am very interested to see where this goes in the future!

Cheers,
Fisher

Awh, thank you!

The next update will allow users to make their own tiles, and that might take a while. I've done a lot of optimizations (especially for coloring; if the background is the same as a button color, the button changes color to something that compliments the background) and hopefully I can get the update out by Wednesday

Do you have any suggestions?

Also, this update is going to change the login system (which was not apparent in the previous update), and I think I can get this whole thing into just 2 files (excluding external APIs, like CrazedProgrammer's fDialog API)
Edited by Eric Bernard, 26 May 2015 - 12:33 AM.

ebernerd's Photo ebernerd 26 May 2015

View PostProjectB, on 25 May 2015 - 11:26 PM, said:

I would love to try it, but it is crashing for me. I wish I could supply a screenshot but I don't know how to do that.

So I go through your installer just fine, I set it to run at startup, but after rebooting it says this onscreen:
LimeFyre 2 Dev build 24.5.16v1 : Page:1
.lf:81: attempt to call nil
After that it returns me to the shell, I have tried re-installing it several times, but with no luck.
Looks great though from screenshots!

P.S Running CraftOS 1.6

I think you're running a version of CraftOS where the function paintutils.drawFilledBox does not exist, so the program errors out after that.

ebernerd's Photo ebernerd 26 May 2015

Dev build 3 released! Run pastebin run xGb4B9zH into your CraftOS terminal to install it!
Additions:
  • Peripheral config panel
  • Password creation (under LimeFyre Options / OS Settings)
  • Visual "Space-Left-O-Meterâ„¢" added to LimeFyre Options
  • When a user uses the Run tile, a new Os.pullevent runs to pull a key when the program is complete.
  • Buttons now change color depending on user's background color, so all UIs look "decent"
Removals
  • Pages (code still exists, however, buttons to do so have been removed)
Partial implementations
  • User created tiles
  • Check for updates button
You do not need to worry about uninstalling previous LimeFyre versions for this; it automatically removes old LimeFyre files.

Enjoy! Report any bugs you may find, and give me suggestions on future updates!
Edited by Eric Bernard, 26 May 2015 - 02:34 AM.

ebernerd's Photo ebernerd 28 May 2015

I have some bugs I need to work on. I don't expect to release an update until Sunday.

ebernerd's Photo ebernerd 14 Jun 2015

This is an update. LimeFyre 2 is still in development, I just lost the master files in a hard drive failure. So, I'm downloading the files from the installer and I'm going to rewrite what I had.